PDA

View Full Version : A Different Tale Of Clarence Thomas

Kathianne
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Shockingly, he got a standing ovation:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/spotlight/constitutional-law/justice-thomas-speaks-at-harvard-law.html

Justice Thomas speaks at Harvard Law (video)

February 11, 2013
Justice Clarence Thomas has become known as a quiet presence on the Supreme Court. But on Jan. 29, members of the Harvard Law School community got to hear him speak—and he did so with great humor and warmth.

As part of the Herbert W. Vaughan Lecture series, Thomas participated in a conversation with HLS Dean Martha Minow, after a day in which he met with faculty and students. In introducing Thomas—a graduate of Yale Law School—Minow said that he had turned down his admission to Harvard Law. She noted that he’d found it “too large, and if I’m right, too conservative.” This elicited laughter from the audience filling Milstein East, and a smile from Thomas—both of which recurred many times over the course of the evening.

Minow asked the justice to say something about his life as a young person. Thomas grew up poor in segregated Georgia and he recalled that although the times were difficult, he “had a good life,” and is grateful for the schooling he received, and for the “real push” he felt to be well educated.

http://youtu.be/heQjKdHu1P4 (http://youtu.be/heQjKdHu1P4)

“All of you must have someone,” he said, “who took you aside and gave you that affinity for learning, which has stuck with you.” For Thomas, it was two women working in a segregated library in Savannah. He said he still remembers the day in 1955 when he heard one of them read a story by Dr. Seuss, and he got his first glimpse of the worlds contained in books.

He also recalled with gratitude those who raised him. “I grew up with people who were not lettered. In that environment, my relatives and neighbors treasured education the way a person who was hungry would treasure food. They understood it as something they never had a chance to have.”

Kathianne
02-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Of course no one needs to watch over an hour, in the first few minutes one can get a taste of how different he is in reality, from the common wisdom. The dean does a wonderful job of bringing up the 'introvert' option as a topic.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2013, 01:15 AM
I was going to watch about 10 minutes, and ended up watching the entire 71 minutes. It was that good. What a gracious, intelligent and warm man he is. Made me proud to have been in the profession for a change.

Thanks for this, Kath.

Robert A Whit
02-20-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't know what left wingers expect but I have seen Thomas talking on TV and the man is no recluse.

I believe he can be found on CSPAN or perhaps PBS.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
It's so nice to have someone (i.e., Kathianne) bring us things like this, that many people would otherwise miss.

I am so glad to see that Harvard Law has the good sense to treat this man with great respect, despite the lies that were told about him during his confirmation process.

Kathianne
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
It's so nice to have someone (i.e., Kathianne) bring us things like this, that many people would otherwise miss.

I am so glad to see that Harvard Law has the good sense to treat this man with great respect, despite the lies that were told about him during his confirmation process.

Like you, I only intended to watch a bit, then got caught up in it. Very much reminds me of the Ron Carter book, from rags to riches sort of story. I like these, I think young people would appreciate them too!

I read Ron Carter's book, "Gifted Hands," in about 4 hours. Watched the video the next day and was so disappointed. Cuba Gooding is a fine actor, it was the writing of the screenplay that was the problem. The lack of how 'faith' influenced his life was a key missing ingredient in the movie.

Voted4Reagan
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I have read his opinions...

In my opinion he's the smartest of the the 9 justices...