PDA

View Full Version : Slavery is completely abolished! Hurrah!

cadet
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57569880/after-148-years-mississippi-finally-ratifies-13th-amendment-to-abolish-slavery/

The 13th Amendment to the Constitution, which abolished slavery, was ratified in 1865. Lawmakers in Mississippi, however, only got around to officially ratifying the amendment last month -- 148 years later -- thanks to the movie "Lincoln."The state's historical oversight came to light after Mississippi resident Ranjan Batra saw the Steven Spielberg-directed film last November, the Clarion-Ledgerreports (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130217/NEWS01/302170050/Historic-oversight-corrected-Film-Lincoln-inspires-look-into-slavery-vote?gcheck=1).
After watching the film, which depicts the political fight to pass the 13th Amendment, Batra did some research. He learned that the amendment was ratified after three-fourths of the states backed it in December 1865. Four remaining states all eventually ratified the amendment -- except for Mississippi. Mississippi voted to ratify the amendment in 1995 but failed to make it official by notifying the U.S. Archivist.
Batra spoke to another Mississippi resident, Ken Sullivan, who contacted Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann about the oversight. Finally, on Jan. 30, Hosemann sent the Office of the Federal Register a copy of the 1995 resolution, and on Feb. 7, the Federal Register made the ratification official.
According to the Clarion-Ledger, it's unclear why the state never sent the U.S. Archivist its 1995 resolution. "What an amendment to have an error in filing," Dick Molpus, who served then as secretary of state, told the paper.

jimnyc
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Maybe soon then we can all stop being blamed for slavery? :dunno:

Robert A Whit
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Damned and I had no slaves of my own the time I crossed Mississippi. LOL

I had under my command on the train though a few who were slaves of the USA.

02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Slavery is alive and well throught the US and the world. We may not be able to physically own one another, but countless are still enslaved by sin. Many of us are enslaved by our debt. Many of us are enslaved by dependency to government.

Perhaps we should work on that rather than celebrating something that went into effect over 150 years ago.

cadet
02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Slavery is alive and well throught the US and the world. We may not be able to physically own one another, but countless are still enslaved by sin. Many of us are enslaved by our debt. Many of us are enslaved by dependency to government.

Perhaps we should work on that rather than celebrating something that went into effect over 150 years ago.

The amazing thing about this world God gave us, is that there's only one who enslaves us.
We enslave ourseleves in sin, we assume we are enslaved by the gov't (could leave any time), we assume we're dependent, and we assume that we have no choice in life.
the only one who can enslave you is you. You have more then enough God given freedom to live your life as you see fit.

gabosaurus
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM

I don't think we should ever stop being blamed. Slavery was a black mark in American history. Same as the Jim Crow laws. And the Confederacy as a whole.
We won't even go into those of you who believe slavery and Jim Crow should still be the law of the land.

Voted4Reagan
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't think we should ever stop being blamed. Slavery was a black mark in American history. Same as the Jim Crow laws. And the Confederacy as a whole.
We won't even go into those of you who believe slavery and Jim Crow should still be the law of the land.

Republicans passed the Civil Rights Act... Not Democrats

You should learn your history

gabosaurus
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM

I am not talking about then. I am talking about now.

revelarts
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Mississippi, surprise surprise, 1st to leave the union too i believe.

answer #1
who is we kemosabe?

answer #2
when germany stops getting blamed for the holocaust

answer #2
Seriously who's blaming Jimnyc for slavery?
It's apart of the history, it's not going away. the players in it are the players. people shouldn't blame a whole group for the actions of a others of the group, that goes both ways seems to me. But humans seem to like judging people in groups.

Cadet
1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is a delusion and you are still lost in your sins.

But there are still people all over the world that are still in physical slavery as well.
behind drugs smuggling human trafficking is one of the biggest illegal businesses in the world.
mostly women and children at that.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36480-film-gt-the-whistleblower-Bosnia-sex-trafficing-UN-contractors-others&p=572230#post572230

there are plenty of real slaves in america.
Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight http://www.amazon.com/Not-Sale-Return-Global-Trade/dp/0061998834/ref=pd_sim_b_8

Human trafficking generates $32 billion annually and enslaves over 30 million people, half of them children. Award-winning journalist David Batstone, whom Bono calls "a heroic character," profiles the new generation of abolitionists who are leading the movement. This groundbreaking global report is now updated with the latest findings, new stories, and statistics that highlight what is being done to end this appalling epidemic—and how you can join the movement.

aboutime
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM

V4R. Poor gabby and friends have no idea how the Obama administration, with the cooperation of the Democrats in Congress, have already brought back Slavery in the form of Government dependency...for all of the Obama followers who aren't smart enough to understand how their vote in November, for Obama. Instantly made them SLAVES.

If any of them doubt it.

Let's see how well they manage without all of the handouts, and free stuff...when the Real Money runs out, and they try to spend OBAMA BUCKS....4544...4545

Robert A Whit
02-21-2013, 06:54 PM

First, the USA flag flew over slavery. Would you suggest scrapping that flag and going to a new one? The confederacy only followed the law of the land at the time.

Next, I can come up with close to a dozen if not a dozen presidents that owned slaves.

Do you want all of those presidents, including Washington, Jefferson and others stricken from our list of this nations best presidents?

Slavery happened to be routine in Africa. Africans captured Africans and sold them to ships owners. Ship owners ported almost entirely at the North ports.

One poster told you that republicans put an end to any legal about of civil rights and that was all about the negro.

This so called shame belongs mostly to the Democrats.

Hope you understand that MLK was a republican.

You guys never changed. To this day, your party is the party that fans the flames of racism.

We republicans seldom bring it up. But your party keeps it alive and well for some odd reason.

jimnyc
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Those guilty of wrongdoing should be blamed, not those of us many, many years later. Should every group in America be able to hold others accountable today, for things that happened 50, 75, 100 years ago?

aboutime
02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Those guilty of wrongdoing should be blamed, not those of us many, many years later. Should every group in America be able to hold others accountable today, for things that happened 50, 75, 100 years ago?

jimnyc. Did you, or others notice how gabby never mentioned, or alluded to TODAY, and how SHE, and every American who voted for Obama actually accepted Becoming Modern Day Slaves to government?????

cadet
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Proud to say that I can trace back my heritage and say, they were too poor to own slaves.

02-21-2013, 07:43 PM

Then you are completely ignorant of American history and the History of Slavery. Anglo-Saxons in the US and Great Britain were among the first in the modern world to abolish slavery. How the heck is it a black mark on American History to END the slave trade here? Heck, our Constitution was designed to ultimately do away with slavery. The Founders just realized that they couldn't do it immediately.

Voted4Reagan
02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Proud to say that I can trace back my heritage and say, they were too poor to own slaves.

back in the 1500's and 1600's my people were the first slaves in North America...

The Irish...

Toro
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
This is a sad day for America. :(

cadet
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
back in the 1500's and 1600's my people were the first slaves in North America...

The Irish...

Same here, damn potato famine.

Voted4Reagan
02-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Same here, damn potato famine.

‘mallacht Chromail ort ‘ !!

logroller
02-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Mississippi, surprise surprise, 1st to leave the union too i believe.

Nay-- South Carolina.