PDA

View Full Version : 8th-grader’s t-shirt with abstinence message deemed “inappropriate” by school

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Handing out condoms in such places is cool - but don't dare show anything about abstinence!

15-year-old 8th-grader, Summer Schreiner of Cocoa, Florida proudly wore a t-shirt with a message of abstinence that she had received at a Christian conference the night before. But to her surprise she was reprimanded by Clearlake Middle School staff who said the t-shirt reading, “DON’T DRINK AND PARK…ACCIDENTS CAUSE KIDS,” was inappropriate. Schreiner said "I was pretty upset. I thought it was silly…It's not like I was wearing a curse word or anything provoking violence.” But the school asked her to change her top and wear a school issued t-shirt that read “tomorrow I will dress for success.” Schreiner’s mother, Angela Hogan said, "It was humiliating for her, because she came dressed for success." While Hogan has spoken to school administrators, they stand by their decision. Michele Irwin, the school district director of communications said, "It’s not a situation of whether or not the district agrees or disagrees with abstinence among teenagers. It's about that there’s sexual innuendo and so we believe that it violated our dress code policy."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/8th-grader-t-shirt-abstinence-211844892.html

tailfins
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Handing out condoms in such places is cool - but don't dare show anything about abstinence!

There won't be condoms handed out in Florida schools, except for maybe the weird counties of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
There won't be condoms handed out in Florida schools, except for maybe the weird counties of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.

With all of the problems in schools today, from violence to poor grades, it's a shame that they worry about people wearing shirts with an American Flag, or one talking about abstinence.

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Way back in what seems now like the stone age, in the early days of computers in real estate, I wanted to be cute.

I sent a general message out saying

To all you virgins

Thanks for nothing

Well, you would have thought I used foul language. They knew the message came from my office.

I was amazed that at the Board HQ they made such a big deal out of this.

fj1200
02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
"It’s not a situation of whether or not the district agrees or disagrees with abstinence among teenagers. It's about that there’s sexual innuendo and so we believe that it violated our dress code policy."

I actually rather agree with that.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I actually rather agree with that.

I suppose a vote for or against having sex IS about sex, so I have little to argue with there. It just seems like we are getting more and more and more aggressive with what we can do and can't do, and the same for kids in school. It hasn't been THAT long, I went to HS from 1983-1986, and it was much different just then, and that wasn't that long ago. Sure, we had rules, but the hallways looked like one huge piece of art, as every kid basically wore whatever they wanted. I don't think I can recall a single time in HS where someone had to change or was reprimanded for what they wore. IMO, in some matters I think kids need to feel around on their own and have their own expressions. Rules and guidelines, without a doubt, kids NEED and actually WANT, but sometimes too much holds them back.

tailfins
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I suppose a vote for or against having sex IS about sex, so I have little to argue with there. It just seems like we are getting more and more and more aggressive with what we can do and can't do, and the same for kids in school. It hasn't been THAT long, I went to HS from 1983-1986, and it was much different just then, and that wasn't that long ago. Sure, we had rules, but the hallways looked like one huge piece of art, as every kid basically wore whatever they wanted. I don't think I can recall a single time in HS where someone had to change or was reprimanded for what they wore. IMO, in some matters I think kids need to feel around on their own and have their own expressions. Rules and guidelines, without a doubt, kids NEED and actually WANT, but sometimes too much holds them back.

My sons, especially my youngest don't socialize at school anymore. Irrespective of how ridiculous it gets, if you don't do any non task related communication, there's little chance for anyone to bother you. The key is DTA (Don't trust anybody), especially government employees. My youngest told me he didn't want to dance at school, but didn't want to express that himself so he let his angry nutcase father handle that. I'm the family bulldog. For some reason my requests don't get turned down very often. The teacher said he was the quietest kid in class and doesn't mention anything to her. My son told me that when he can point his finger, play cops and robbers, and say "bang bang, you're dead", he will know it's OK to play and communicate.

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
We did not wear offensive T shirts when I went to school and one may suppose it was because we did not see any printed that were for sale.

I am amazed to this day what kids of today must endure merely to get an education.

On another note, maybe I can locate some lawyers talking at Stanford U where they were in my opinion mocking much of this stuff.

It is on CSPAN.

fj1200
02-22-2013, 03:40 PM

We were in HS about the same time although I went to a parochial school so can't speak to any public school issues... I just think that everyone is trying to push the boundaries too so each side is going to see push back. My kids have to wear uniforms, at least through 8th, so not much chance to offend for them.

jimnyc
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM
We were in HS about the same time although I went to a parochial school so can't speak to any public school issues... I just think that everyone is trying to push the boundaries too so each side is going to see push back. My kids have to wear uniforms, at least through 8th, so not much chance to offend for them.

Did you wear uni's back then? I know all the parochial schools by me did back then. My friend went to "Bishop Ahr" and had to wear a suit! LOL Used to laugh at him when he got off the bus. I can't say I have an issue with that, but at least parents and students know the deal going in. It's trickier when kids are allowed to mostly wear what they want, and get "penalized" if they wear something deemed inappropriate.

fj1200
02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Did you wear uni's back then? I know all the parochial schools by me did back then. My friend went to "Bishop Ahr" and had to wear a suit! LOL Used to laugh at him when he got off the bus. I can't say I have an issue with that, but at least parents and students know the deal going in. It's trickier when kids are allowed to mostly wear what they want, and get "penalized" if they wear something deemed inappropriate.

No, maybe the catholic school did but not us. Couldn't wear shorts though even when blazing hot. :mad:

You should have told your buddy to go Fresh Prince with his uni. :cool:

http://www.northernthreads.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tumblr_lfoz83PP5A1qdxd3qo1_500.png

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Anybody know how they name the Catholic High schools?

Some names around here are
Bellarmine. No idea what that is named for. It is in San Jose, CA
Bishop O'Dowd I know it is in Oakland, Ca still don't know who it was named for.
De La Salle, famous high school in Concord CA. I read their site where they explain their name.

When I lived in Hayward, Ca where I went to high school, I can't recall Catholic high schools. Could have been part of one of the churches I suppose. About the time I was moving away, I recall them building Moreau High School. I have never met one of those students.

I recall growing up that Bellarmine was very good at football, O'Dowd at Basketball and De La Salle did not exist.

De La Salle has to be the premium high school for football. They hold awesome records. Then have been nationwide champs like half a dozen times. They also travel around the USA looking for competition.

gabosaurus
02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Our schools don't allow any type of printing on shirts that are not related to the schools itself. That is always the best policy.

First year I was working, I met a ninth grade girl wearing a "purity ring." She was pregnant. :rolleyes:

Robert A Whit
02-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Our schools don't allow any type of printing on shirts that are not related to the schools itself. That is always the best policy.

First year I was working, I met a ninth grade girl wearing a "purity ring." She was pregnant. :rolleyes:

My god. A child pregnant and you noticed her ring?

Kathianne
02-23-2013, 01:53 AM

Hmmm, to me that 'slogan' had some mixed messages. Was it saying that drinking and NOT having sex was OK? Actually the 'message' seemed more on alcohol than on abstinence, while not slamming drinking, rather drinking and parking. "Accidents" sounds more like forgetting the condom, than the message that sex too early isn't just a problem with pregnancy, but with a teen's mind.

I'd bet the kid felt that the message was clear, but from what I've read, I've not seen the video yet, I can see where the school asked a 15 year old to change the shirt.

The story says, 'middle school,' though 15 is usually in high school.

My 'kids' have been out of high school now for 8-12 years, but they all were involved in "Young Life" and all took abstinence pledges. Did it get them to be virgins at wedding? I don't think so, but I know it got them out of high school. They had t-shirts with sayings related, as well as buttons and other stuff. No problem with the school, but the message was clear.

I've got to say that I've not heard much about abstinence in the high schools over the past 3 years, EXCEPT in sex ed courses. A day is spent discussing the pros and cons, the pros overwhelmingly come out on top.

Around the school, posters are hung with internal surveys, "82% of students say they avoid alcohol because they believe it will mess up their goals."

"92% do not use tobacco because of ill effects on health."

Does anyone really buy into these 'self-reports'? Probably some parents, yet there is an element of truth here. They are informed and when looking at the issues logically, they know the right things. "Avoid" allows some wiggle room.

I disagree. The kids should have the right to wear shirts that express themselves. Some may not want to be involved with school activities, but have something to say.

Should it be vile or or condoning illegal activities? No. That is the BEST policy.

WiccanLiberal
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Frankly I think the best idea to avoid the entire issue would be having everyone wear the same thing. Khaki pants and a collared polo shirt make a simple and inexpensive uniform. The 'business' of school is education. Anything that distracts from the business at hand should be discouraged. Less focus on what everyone is wearing and more focus on what everyone is learning would be a fine thing.

Kathianne
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Frankly I think the best idea to avoid the entire issue would be having everyone wear the same thing. Khaki pants and a collared polo shirt make a simple and inexpensive uniform. The 'business' of school is education. Anything that distracts from the business at hand should be discouraged. Less focus on what everyone is wearing and more focus on what everyone is learning would be a fine thing.

I wouldn't disagree with that, most private schools have done so forever. Many public schools in dicey areas have adopted your suggested types of uniforms. I've not heard though of public schools in good suburban areas do more than raise the issue from time to time, then it gets tabled. The students must have their Uggs and such. There are times that I just look at the feet during passing periods and am agog at the amount of $$$ in Uggs, Air Jordans, and the rest. Shocking, really!

gabosaurus
02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I disagree. The kids should have the right to wear shirts that express themselves. Some may not want to be involved with school activities, but have something to say.

Should it be vile or or condoning illegal activities? No. That is the BEST policy.

Sorry Kath, obviously you don't live or work in an area that has a lot of gang activity. You can't keep up with the colors, slogans, catch phrases and others ways gangs "represent" to each other, so you ban everything. Kids should come to school to learn, not to advertise or represent.
My daughter's school has a dress code to keep the kids from trying to "out fashion" each other.

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
My god. A child pregnant and you noticed her ring?

ironically, gaby was wearing her "I will not fib" ring when she typed that post....

Voted4Reagan
02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
School Uniforms would solve the whole Problem.

White Shirt or Blouse

Khaki or Navy Pants for Boys

Knee Length Khaki or Navy Blue Skirt for Girls
(Or Pants as well)

Black Standard Shoes.

Black Socks

Robert A Whit
02-24-2013, 04:10 PM

I am disappointed in schools of today based on what I am reading. As a student, we had no dress code. But the kids behaved. I don't recall any of the kids with messages on their clothing. A girl I knew said the girls had a code and if boys knew the code, they knew which girl would vs who would not. But the girls normally did not tell the boys.

School to me today seems determined to school kids in the democrats way of operating.

You know, sort of the bull dog theory. Grab a bull by it's nose and it will follow the dog anywhere.

Kathianne
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry Kath, obviously you don't live or work in an area that has a lot of gang activity. You can't keep up with the colors, slogans, catch phrases and others ways gangs "represent" to each other, so you ban everything. Kids should come to school to learn, not to advertise or represent.
My daughter's school has a dress code to keep the kids from trying to "out fashion" each other.

You're right there, little or no gang activity. Oh some of the boys want to dress like 'gangsta' not allowed. No underwear can be showing, to be fair they named bra straps too, though the posters have arrows pointing to boy's pants. Graffiti isn't allowed, obviously-have not seen any writings on girls bathroom stalls, which wasn't true when I was in high school.

While not growing up here, did grow up in a 'western suburb' which all the schools I've been at are. I KNOW the high schools are more disciplined than in the 70's.

Robert A Whit
02-24-2013, 11:01 PM
You're right there, little or no gang activity. Oh some of the boys want to dress like 'gangsta' not allowed. No underwear can be showing, to be fair they named bra straps too, though the posters have arrows pointing to boy's pants. Graffiti isn't allowed, obviously-have not seen any writings on girls bathroom stalls, which wasn't true when I was in high school.

While not growing up here, did grow up in a 'western suburb' which all the schools I've been at are. I KNOW the high schools are more disciplined than in the 70's.

That is good to know. Having only my grandsons in school but not getting reports from them, only knowing the good reputation of the high school one attends, I find your report to be of great value.

Maybe there is a better day to be had after all.