PDA

View Full Version : Cat's been soiling the floors

glockmail
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
First of all the cat is 13 years old and weighs about 14 pounds. I say that he's part tree because he keeps growing. He's always had dry food, we don't feed our pets any canned food whatsoever. I've always bought what was on sale and never had a problem.

This started about two weeks ago in my daughter's bedroom. I was out of town and my wife had to pick it up, which just made the situation that much worse. She thought was diarrhea because it was brown and thick.

A couple days later when I was home she found more in our daughter's closet and I cleaned that up, but it had stained the carpet.

Then last week he's in our room during the night and wakes her up with his puking on the floor next to her. The cat must have a death wish to a), puke in our bedroom, b) next to my wife and c) wake her up doing it. It was the same brown so I now know the earlier stuff was puke, not shit. I cleaned that up in the morning, another carpet stain but now I at least have a clue what's going on.

We had recently changed his food to Purina. I don't recall having that brand before. I had a big bag that I figured had gone bad so I threw that away, cleaned his bowls and eating area and opened up a second smaller bag, again Purina, but that seemed to be fresh. My wife is thinking that he's having trouble digesting food. Because he's old. Maybe, but his behavior hasn't changed so I don't think old age has much to do with it.

The night before last early evening she again finds more in our bedroom. It's fresh so I cleaned that up easily. The Hoover carpet cleaner is really getting a work-out. I threw out the remaining Purina, again cleaned his bowls and went to the supermarket and picked up a bag of a brand that we hadn't tried before. It says it's made with all chicken and no cereal, so should be easier to digest Like he needs the calories the fat bastard.

We locked him out of our bedroom last night and he spent most of the night trying to open our door. I didn't hear him but my wife say he kept her awake. She opened the door this morning and sees some spots on the hall outside our room and claims that's more puke. It had no thickness to it at all and a different pattern. I thought it was there from before, looks like it was some water spots from one of the kids dragging something out of the bathroom. I cleaned it up and she still insists that its puke. Whatever.

Wife now wants me to take the cat to the vet. No way because he hates riding in cars and whenever we take him he pukes, shits, and pisses himself in the 10 minute ride over there. This is stressful for him plus makes any diagnosis nearly impossible. I long ago stopped taking him to the vet except for a rabies shot. I'm friends with the vet and he told me he had no problem with that. Any booster shots of whatever, because he's had so many over the years he doesn't need any more.

Wife's posturing that maybe its a benign growth putting pressure on his stomach. I say whatever, if that's it we're not doing surgery on him anyway. People spend way too much on the last days of their own lives and now they do the same for pets and it's dumb. When I get old I'm not torturing myself that way and neither is she, so we ain't going to do the cat that way. Hopspice, baby. She agrees, no vet.

This could be his end but I don't think so. I'm thinking its the Purina so hopefully he won't have a problem with this new food.

jimnyc
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Is he still as active? Drinking? They do get very finicky with their diets and can easily cough stuff back up. But doing so for an extended period might be something different. Vets can still get a lot of info from a blood test.

Syrenn
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
i highly recommend you take him to the vet.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
His behavior hasn't changed. He's gradually, over the years, become less active especially during the winter. That's probably why he's a fatty now. He drinks a lot of water just like he always has, both out of his bowl and his special treat every morning, Mom's shower water.

Nope, no vet as I said before, and for the reasons stated.

jimnyc
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
His behavior hasn't changed. He's gradually, over the years, become less active especially during the winter. That's probably why he's a fatty now. He drinks a lot of water just like he always has, both out of his bowl and his special treat every morning, Mom's shower water.

Nope, no vet as I said before, and for the reasons stated.

If he's active and drinking, those are obviously good signs.

Try boiled chicken and rice, about as bland as it gets. Try for a few days and see if it slows up or stops.

Voted4Reagan
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
It's HAIRBALLS..

Switch to an INDOOR CAT FOOD FORMULA.

Keep the water bowl clean and fresh and keep him out of moms bathwater.

Boiled Chicken wont hurt either...

glockmail
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
What makes you think it's hair balls? I thought this at first but the puke has zero hair in it. It looked like ground up Purina with a little water in it. I've seen hair-ball puke before, different cat, and this one has never done 'em.

Its not bath water, it's shower water. The water left on the door and the floor after she's rinsed. I don't think it has any soap in it and he's been doing that for years.

Chicken and rice is probably a good idea. I can make up a batch and keep it in the fridge. That spoiled little bastard.

gabosaurus
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Glock, I had been in your situation before. I am fairly certain that your cat has a urinary track infection. Especially if your cat is not neutered.
Which cats have UTIs, they begin to associate the litter box with their pain. So they go outside the box.
Please take your cat to a vet. And get the cat neutered if it is not. Unfixed cats are much more susceptible to UTIs and other infections.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
The cat's never pissed in a box, or in the house. He goes outside in his kingdom that he rules. I fixed him 13 years ago when I found him crawling out of the kudzu at an abandoned rail station. As usual bitch doesn't know what the fuck she is talking about. :laugh:

gabosaurus
02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
The cat's never pissed in a box, or in the house. He goes outside in his kingdom that he rules. I fixed him 13 years ago when I found him crawling out of the kudzu at an abandoned rail station. As usual bitch doesn't know what the fuck she is talking about. :laugh:

Doesn't mean the cat doesn't have a urinary track infection. But if you don't care, throw the cat back outside and let it suffer.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Right bitch, I throw him out and he suffers there. That's why he's been puking on the carpet, because it is installed outside in the back yard. An none of your prerequisites were true, but that doesn't mean that you're wrong. Too funny. :laugh:

gabosaurus
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I was only offering suggestions. I am not a vet.
If you care more about your bank balance than your cat, do nothing.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Right bitch, your not a vet. At least you got that right.

With regards to my bank account, its a lot fatter than the cat. But if you had read the OP you'd have found out that money was never the issue. And I know what the outcome will be anyway, a), change his diet or b) somethings wrong with him that requires surgery, which is dumb for old people never mind old cats.

Even your lord and savior, The Obama, knows that surgery on old folks is dumb.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Which reminds me of an issue with the dog last year when she was 11 years old. She started to walk on three legs with one of her hind legs never touching the ground. She's a terrier mix with a skinny little butt and a big, powerful chest and neck so she's front-heavy, and has always had to walk down stairs by sticking a rear leg way out back to keep from falling on her face. So this new walk wasn't all that unusual.

But I took her to the vet anyway. Mitch wasn't there and his employee doctor was there instead. A cute little blonde she starts telling me about her experience with zoos and shit. Then she examines the dog and tells me its a torn ACL. She then goes on to describe surgery options, and outline the cost, and I ask her how long this would lay her up? Two months she says, in a cage small enough to confine her.

Two fucking months in a cage? When I rescued her she was in a cage, and we made a deal that included never going back in. She's kept her end. She HATES to be confined. I can't even walk her on a leash. She runs about 5 miles a day during our mile long walks and its all in the woods up steep hills and over trees and shit. Two months confined to a cage would be torture.

So I told her that I was old school and wasn't about to do surgery unless it was absolutely necessary to save her life, and then of course there's the age issue. She's an old dog. What about the do-nothing option? Is she in pain. Answer: no she's not in pain.

I'm a skier, I race in four leagues and so I obviously know a lot of folks who ski. A torn ACL and a host of other knee issues are extremely common, and I know that surgery is not the only option. I know at least a half-dozen guys from 20 years old to early 70s that are dealing with it.

That was a year ago and the dog's fine. She's starting to favor a front leg now. Occasionally in the morning or late at night she'll be walking with it up in the air. My Dad noticed and asked me what was wrong with her. She's old I told him. Oh yeah he said. On our walks she forgets all about it and crosses the creek over fallen trees 12' up in the air like a damn squirrel.

glockmail
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Last night went well. The King has been delegated during the night to his new home, the storage room off my office in the basement. He can freely access the outside through the pet door, and if he ukes down there it will be on the storage room carpet, which is utilitarian as all hell, or the wood floor in my office. He's got his choice of bedding, a pillow in an oversize pet hauler or one next to it on the floor.

This works out well too because when we're away and the dog's not here to police him, he has a habit of inviting his friends over. Years ago it was his buddy "Dufus" that nearly destroyed my kitchen and last week big ol' Grey, the pavement colored cat, startled my wife in our bedroom.

When I opened the door to the basement this morning he was waiting there, apparently slept on the stairs. He'll have to get used to it. All was quiet upstairs and my wife got a sound sleep for the first time in several nights.

Today the birds have arrived from down South and he's out hunting. Again, his behavior hasn't changed at all.

Now I just have to develop a stategy to keep the dog from eating the cat's food in this new location.

Syrenn
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Right bitch, your not a vet. At least you got that right.

With regards to my bank account, its a lot fatter than the cat. But if you had read the OP you'd have found out that money was never the issue. And I know what the outcome will be anyway, a), change his diet or b) somethings wrong with him that requires surgery, which is dumb for old people never mind old cats.

Even your lord and savior, The Obama, knows that surgery on old folks is dumb.

then why did you ask for opinion?

Robert A Whit
02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
then why did you ask for opinion?

So he could call you or some other woman a bitch is why he did it.

glockmail
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
then why did you ask for opinion?I expect an educated one, or at east one that takes the OP into account.

glockmail
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
So he could call you or some other woman a bitch is why he did it.Robert as usual you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Yet you say it anyway. :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
02-27-2013, 11:29 PM
jim wants a cat....give the cat to jim.....

Syrenn
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
I expect an educated one, or at east one that takes the OP into account.

An "educated" opinion would come from a vet. You yourself say you will not take your cat to the vet...... what is left is our opinions.

I did take the op into account. I am not a vet and based on your account..... in my opinion is you should take the cat to the vet.

You want speculation? He has cancer based on your description of what is coming out of him.... could i be wrong, sure. If i am right, you don't plan on doing anything anyway. He could have an obstruction...could i be wrong, sure. If i am right you don't plan on doing anything anyway.

so again, why did you bother asking?

Robert A Whit
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Robert as usual you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Yet you say it anyway. :laugh:

I am not the person posting that women are bitches. Don't try to put the blame on me.

DragonStryk72
02-28-2013, 04:44 AM
First of all the cat is 13 years old and weighs about 14 pounds. I say that he's part tree because he keeps growing. He's always had dry food, we don't feed our pets any canned food whatsoever. I've always bought what was on sale and never had a problem.

This started about two weeks ago in my daughter's bedroom. I was out of town and my wife had to pick it up, which just made the situation that much worse. She thought was diarrhea because it was brown and thick.

A couple days later when I was home she found more in our daughter's closet and I cleaned that up, but it had stained the carpet.

Then last week he's in our room during the night and wakes her up with his puking on the floor next to her. The cat must have a death wish to a), puke in our bedroom, b) next to my wife and c) wake her up doing it. It was the same brown so I now know the earlier stuff was puke, not shit. I cleaned that up in the morning, another carpet stain but now I at least have a clue what's going on.

We had recently changed his food to Purina. I don't recall having that brand before. I had a big bag that I figured had gone bad so I threw that away, cleaned his bowls and eating area and opened up a second smaller bag, again Purina, but that seemed to be fresh. My wife is thinking that he's having trouble digesting food. Because he's old. Maybe, but his behavior hasn't changed so I don't think old age has much to do with it.

The night before last early evening she again finds more in our bedroom. It's fresh so I cleaned that up easily. The Hoover carpet cleaner is really getting a work-out. I threw out the remaining Purina, again cleaned his bowls and went to the supermarket and picked up a bag of a brand that we hadn't tried before. It says it's made with all chicken and no cereal, so should be easier to digest Like he needs the calories the fat bastard.

We locked him out of our bedroom last night and he spent most of the night trying to open our door. I didn't hear him but my wife say he kept her awake. She opened the door this morning and sees some spots on the hall outside our room and claims that's more puke. It had no thickness to it at all and a different pattern. I thought it was there from before, looks like it was some water spots from one of the kids dragging something out of the bathroom. I cleaned it up and she still insists that its puke. Whatever.

Wife now wants me to take the cat to the vet. No way because he hates riding in cars and whenever we take him he pukes, shits, and pisses himself in the 10 minute ride over there. This is stressful for him plus makes any diagnosis nearly impossible. I long ago stopped taking him to the vet except for a rabies shot. I'm friends with the vet and he told me he had no problem with that. Any booster shots of whatever, because he's had so many over the years he doesn't need any more.

Wife's posturing that maybe its a benign growth putting pressure on his stomach. I say whatever, if that's it we're not doing surgery on him anyway. People spend way too much on the last days of their own lives and now they do the same for pets and it's dumb. When I get old I'm not torturing myself that way and neither is she, so we ain't going to do the cat that way. Hopspice, baby. She agrees, no vet.

This could be his end but I don't think so. I'm thinking its the Purina so hopefully he won't have a problem with this new food.

I have three cats myself, and two of them are older cats. I've been using Iams brand, specifically the senior formula, and that works quite well.
the lingering effects of the dietary changes may be causing him stress, especially if his diets been really consistent up to now.

its the equivalent of eating a basic chicken and rice platter your whole life, then having authentic Indian food.
if your friends a vet you could also ask if he could make a house call.

Voted4Reagan
02-28-2013, 06:27 AM
I was only offering suggestions. I am not a vet.
If you care more about your bank balance than your cat, do nothing.

Gabby... do YOU own or have you ever owned a CAT? If not, SHUT UP and listen.

we have 4 cats.....

It's Hairballs... the hair becomes partially digested and mixed with food giving it that wonderful color.

trust me... a good indoor food and some Enzymatic cleaner for the carpets

you

jimnyc
02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
How about today, how's he doing?

Syrenn
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Gabby... do YOU own or have you ever owned a CAT? If not, SHUT UP and listen.

we have 4 cats.....

It's Hairballs... the hair becomes partially digested and mixed with food giving it that wonderful color.

trust me... a good indoor food and some Enzymatic cleaner for the carpets

you

At the moment i have 9 ranging in age from 5 months to 10 years. My oldest was 18 and the most expensive in medical was a bit over 20k...and he still died. I also foster kittens.... I am the heavy medical needs foster.

my advice is still...... it needs a veterinary opinion.

Other then that, why bother asking if you don't plan on taking it in to see a vet? If the cat freaks out in a car.... get drugs and trank it before you take it in.

Robert A Whit
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
At the moment i have 9 ranging in age from 5 months to 10 years. My oldest was 18 and the most expensive in medical was a bit over 20k...and he still died. I also foster kittens.... I am the heavy medical needs foster.

my advice is still...... it needs a veterinary opinion.

Other then that, why bother asking if you don't plan on taking it in to see a vet? If the cat freaks out in a car.... get drugs and trank it before you take it in.

Around 1980, my sister said her cat was very sick and she was too poor to get help from a vet. Sadly she asked me to help it.

I gave it the pill from my .357 magnum Ruger. Took care of the cats problem.

BTW, I got no joy from this. I was as sad as she was.

jimnyc
02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Around 1980, my sister said her cat was very sick and she was too poor to get help from a vet. Sadly she asked me to help it.

I gave it the pill from my .357 magnum Ruger. Took care of the cats problem.

BTW, I got no joy from this. I was as sad as she was.

The cat should have been given away to someone who could have cared for it. I hope no one shoots you because of finances, Roberto Duran!

Robert A Whit
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
The cat should have been given away to someone who could have cared for it. I hope no one shoots you because of finances, Roberto Duran!

As if somebody wanted or needed such a cat. It was in terrible condition. Cats don't live forever little Jimmy Brown.

http://youtu.be/XJCvPhqcY9A

jimnyc
02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Why you old crusty crustacean! Be kind to animals from now on! :poke:

Robert A Whit
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Why you old crusty crustacean! Be kind to animals from now on! :poke:

I solved that cat's problems. And solved my sisters problems too, Little Jimmy Brown. Bet you had never heard of that song, did ja.

Jim, I can't stand seeing such animals suffer.

Tell you this. Find a very sick cat. Then try to pawn it off on somebody else. How was my sister of almost no income supposed to do it in 1980?

She had no internet. She had no Craig's list. She had kids to feed.

jimnyc
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I solved that cat's problems. And solved my sisters problems too, Little Jimmy Brown. Bet you had never heard of that song, did ja.

Jim, I can't stand seeing such animals suffer.

Tell you this. Find a very sick cat. Then try to pawn it off on somebody else. How was my sister of almost no income supposed to do it in 1980?

She had no internet. She had no Craig's list. She had kids to feed.

You sound like my eldest brother. I suppose in some ways it was the right decision, as it's better than suffering. Still something I could likely never do. I'm an animal fanatic.

Robert A Whit
02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
You sound like my eldest brother. I suppose in some ways it was the right decision, as it's better than suffering. Still something I could likely never do. I'm an animal fanatic.

Jim,

My sister and her kids also are in the animal kingdom. I had to help pick the best animals to help out. My sister and her kids lacked money to do a thing for that cat.

As I said, I gave it a pill from the barrel of my .357 Ruger magnum.

glockmail
03-01-2013, 12:31 PM

I did take the op into account. .... Obviously you did not.

glockmail
03-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I am not the person posting that women are bitches. Don't try to put the blame on me.

Again you are posting bull shit. I call bitches "bitch", biatch...

:lol:

gabosaurus
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Again you are posting bull shit. I call bitches "bitch", biatch...

Feeling bitchy today, glock?

glockmail
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
How about today, how's he doing? No uke since I went with his new food: "Evolve". He ain't happy with his new living arrangement, but he's just going to have to get used to it.

It will also make sure that he won't bring his toys and buddies into the main part of the house while we're away. The potential for a disaster if that happened is enormous. He's brought birds in the house before. You ever had to catch a wounded, wild bird flying around your house? And after he tortures them, kills and eats them, he has a habit of uking parts up later on.

If we came back from vacation with dead birds, bird shit and uke all over the place my wife would call for his head. :boom2:

jimnyc
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
No uke since I went with his new food: "Evolve". He ain't happy with his new living arrangement, but he's just going to have to get used to it.

It will also make sure that he won't bring his toys and buddies into the main part of the house while we're away. The potential for a disaster if that happened is enormous. He's brought birds in the house before. You ever had to catch a wounded, wild bird flying around your house? And after he tortures them, kills and eats them, he has a habit of uking parts up later on.

If we came back from vacation with dead birds, bird shit and uke all over the place my wife would call for his head. :boom2:

Hmmm, I see the "p" is other words, so I know it works, but it's missing from the word "puke". Why? Are you messing with my head? LOL

glockmail
03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Feeling bitchy today, glock?Not at all, sweetness. I just finished a big project yesterday afternoon, picked up my check for one completed last week, re-filled my business checking account, spent last night going over another engineer's report for the plantiff on a case, then advised my client's attorney how to crush him during deposition that's happening right now. I can almost hear the poor fellow screaming from here. :laugh:

Then this morning I completed my report for renovations to a gorgeous mansion for another client, cut down a tree in my front yard with my daughter's help, spread leaf compost over the stump for a new garden, and am winding down here, packing my skis for a trip to Aspen tomorrow morning.

glockmail
03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, I see the "p" is other words, so I know it works, but it's missing from the word "puke". Why? Are you messing with my head? LOL Just another word for it, like:

talking on the big white phone
looking to by a Buick?
going to Europe?
technicolor yawn
driving the porcelain bus...

glockmail
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Back from an 8 day vacation and the floors are clean, cat is healthy as a horse. :clap:

glockmail
08-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Update on the little bastard. The special (expensive) food I was giving him he didn't like, and lost a lot of weight. Fat cat turned into skinny cat. So I started mixing it with his favorite, kit and kaboodle. Then he'd pick through the bowl to get to it, and leave the "good" food in the bowl. One day he walked out the door and almost fell over he was so weak, like a damn anorexic.

So I just stared giving him the kit and kaboodle. Now he's looking better, about half his weight is back and he's not fat. He's only puked once in many months, and that was just liquid mixed with grass on the bathroom tile floor- he didn't even hit the grout!

The expensive food? I mix it with the dog's food! :laugh:

Gaffer
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Dogs will eat anything.

DragonStryk72
08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Update on the little bastard. The special (expensive) food I was giving him he didn't like, and lost a lot of weight. Fat cat turned into skinny cat. So I started mixing it with his favorite, kit and kaboodle. Then he'd pick through the bowl to get to it, and leave the "good" food in the bowl. One day he walked out the door and almost fell over he was so weak, like a damn anorexic.

So I just stared giving him the kit and kaboodle. Now he's looking better, about half his weight is back and he's not fat. He's only puked once in many months, and that was just liquid mixed with grass on the bathroom tile floor- he didn't even hit the grout!

The expensive food? I mix it with the dog's food! :laugh:

lol, you might consider a change out to raw food for the cat, as well. Like use actual bits of chicken, fish, and whatnot as opposed to kibble.

glockmail
08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
lol, you might consider a change out to raw food for the cat, as well. Like use actual bits of chicken, fish, and whatnot as opposed to kibble.Raw? I never tried that. If I give him leftover meat he rarely eats it. Even grilled salmon he'll eat just a little bit then walk away from it. Yet he gets all excited with kit and kaboodle. Yeah, he's retarded. :laugh:

glockmail
08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Dogs will eat anything. Mine will not eat mushrooms. :coffee:

Gaffer
08-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Mine will not eat mushrooms. :coffee:

Neither will I. :thumb:

glockmail
08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Neither will I. :thumb:Oh, man you don't know what you're missing. Try the mushroom turkey burger at Hardies.