PDA

View Full Version : Man Sues Hospital After Wrong Testicle Removed

jimnyc
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
I couldn't even imagine waking up and finding this out. Then of course you still need to remove the other due to the cancer too.

LONDON (CBSDC) — A British man is suing a hospital after surgeons removed the wrong testicle during cancer surgery.

The U.K. Metro reports doctors realized the mistake about 40 minutes after the initial surgery and tried to correct the mistake in an emergency procedure to no avail.

“The matter is in the hands of my solicitor,” the unnamed man said. “She is about to issue proceedings now.”

A patient watchdog group is calling for an investigation into the surgical mistake.

“This is a tragic thing to have happened,” Phil Matthews, chairman of the Wiltshire Involvement Network, told Metro. “With this type of operation men need confidence they can put their trust fully in the hospital.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/man-sues-hospital-after-wrong-testicle-removed-during-cancer-surgery/

glockmail
02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
That's a kick in the ball, huh?

gabosaurus
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
“The matter is in the hands of my solicitor,” the unnamed man said. “She is about to issue proceedings now.”

Hope he does better in the hands of the solicitor than in the hands of the surgeon. :p

fj1200
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
“The matter is in the hands of my solicitor,”
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/man-sues-hospital-after-wrong-testicle-removed-during-cancer-surgery/

So that's what they do with it.

WiccanLiberal
02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't care where the surgery was performed, there is no excuse for wrong site surgery. The preventative is so cheap it is ridiculous. The surgeon goes to talk with the patient before the procedure and marks the appropriate site with A PURPLE SKIN MARKER. Basically a felt tip pen. Then initials the areas marked. Once the patient is in the OR, everything stops again just before the procedure to verify that everyone knows what is being done. How much cheaper is a purple sharpie than a law suit? When it's your body, the cost is priceless.

mundame
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
“The matter is in the hands of my solicitor,” the unnamed man said.

So that's what they do with it.

Omigod. ;)

mundame
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't care where the surgery was performed, there is no excuse for wrong site surgery. The preventative is so cheap it is ridiculous. The surgeon goes to talk with the patient before the procedure and marks the appropriate site with A PURPLE SKIN MARKER. Basically a felt tip pen. Then initials the areas marked. Once the patient is in the OR, everything stops again just before the procedure to verify that everyone knows what is being done. How much cheaper is a purple sharpie than a law suit? When it's your body, the cost is priceless.

Yeah, at Hopkins they also make sure the patient knows what is being done and where and can SAY so, and they keep asking.

Really, they paid so much attention to that issue that I realized how worried they all are about .....this kind of error.

Hey, at least it wasn't a leg. That happens a lot too, apparently, the wrong leg getting amputated.

Robert A Whit
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I couldn't even imagine waking up and finding this out. Then of course you still need to remove the other due to the cancer too.

For those surgeons to pull that stunt, really takes some balls. :cool:

cadet
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Well, at least he still has the balls to sue.

Robert A Whit
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Well, nobody can kick him in the nuts now. Since he has only one left.

Merry old England, the land of top medicine and super surgery.

glockmail
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
No he lacks balls now.