PDA

View Full Version : So Much Not Reported by MSM

Kathianne
05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
http://instapundit.com/archives2/005722.php

May 29, 2007

ANOTHER EMAIL FROM MICHAEL YON:

I was present today when an Iraqi General was arrested on suspicion of murder and other crimes. The American commander, LTC Doug Crissman, narrowly averted a possible bloodbath today when he intervened, without orders from above, and arrested the General. The General was with 14 heavily armed men. I was a few feet away and snapped a photo of Crissman and the Iraqi General only seconds before Crissman silently grabbed the General's pistol out of his holster. Crissman's men had silently disarmed the other 14 men who were all around the building. The General was clueless. Incredible, and brilliantly executed by LTC Crissman. More in a couple of days. (I got it all on video/photo.)

Instapundit readers are the first to know.

And I'd like to know more.

And today:

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12089&Itemid=21

Coalition Forces apprehend insurgents Print E-mail
Wednesday, 30 May 2007
Multi-National Corps – Iraq
Public Affairs Office, Camp Victory
APO AE 09342

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Approved for release
RELEASE No. 20070530-12
May 30, 2007

Coalition Forces apprehend insurgents
Multi National Force – West

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq – The district police chief of Hit, Hamid Ibrahim Jazaa, along with his brother and 14 bodyguards were apprehended by Coalition Forces today in Hit approximately 275 km northwest of Baghdad May 29.

The apprehensions were the result of an investigation which alleges murder, corruption and crimes against the Iraqi people. The apprehension of this group was authorized and coordinated with local Hit city officials.

All the accused are currently being held in Coalition Force custody.

“We cannot tolerate criminal behavior and this complete disregard for the rule of law, particularly by those who are charged with the responsibility of upholding the law,” said Maj.Gen. W.E. Gaskin, commanding general, Multi National Force – West.

Dilloduck
05-30-2007, 08:00 PM

And today:

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12089&Itemid=21

:clap::clap:

TheSage
05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
See, the problem is that in the islamic world authority MEANS the right to abuse people with impunity. That's the POINT of gaining authority.

gabosaurus
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
By "mainstream media." I am guessing you mean everything except Fox and the New York Post.
Pretty much ALL major media outlets are controlled by mainstream conservative corporations. Of course, any media outlet that questions Bush policy or decisions is automatically classified as "mainstream media."

Kathianne
06-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Here's the story on the arrests. If the military had been able to act as responsibly regarding Iraqi leaders from the beginning, I think both the US and Iraq would be in better shape today. Unfortunately they just threw all in the holding areas, too long for the willing and able to resume commands:

http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/the-final-option.htm

Gaffer
06-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Yon is one of the few reporters that actually witnesses what he reports on.

Kathianne
01-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Yon is one of the few reporters that actually witnesses what he reports on.

and today he's featured in NYT business profile:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/business/21iraqblogger.html?ex=1358658000&en=53fb1d5051560fa3&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

January 21, 2008
Frontline Blogger Covers War in Iraq With a Soldier’s Eyes
By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA

Michael Yon was not a journalist, and he wasn’t sure what a blogger was. He had been in uniform but not in combat, and he wanted to keep it that way. He went to Iraq thinking he would stay for a month, and maybe find a way to write about the war after he got home.

Mr. Yon, however, does not work for any organization; no news outlet pays him for the hundreds of dispatches and photos he has produced. He publishes his work on his own Web site, michaelyon-online.com (some will appear again in a book set for release in April), and he also posts submissions from military people serving in Iraq. He says contributions from his readers have paid most of his costs, though he declines to say how much they have given.

Like most bloggers, Mr. Yon has an agenda, writing often that the United States’ mission to build a stable, democratic Iraq is succeeding and must continue. He rarely disparages those who disagree, though, and he does not shy away from describing the disturbing things he sees.

He sometimes criticizes United States forces, their Iraqi allies, and even decision makers in Washington; lately, he has warned that while the American focus is on Iraq, Afghanistan is being lost.

His upbeat outlook on the war has made Mr. Yon a favorite of the war’s supporters. But others in that camp have attacked him for insisting that Iraq is in a civil war, and for condemning American treatment of some detainees.

“His work has a remarkable, chin-out, unvarnished intimacy,” said Jackie Lyden, a National Public Radio reporter who has worked in Iraq. “He isn’t a guarded, diplomatically toned reporter; he can be very frank, and he questions his own assumptions.”

The Internet has fostered such citizen journalism, shaking up ideas about where news comes from, but few have taken on the expense and danger of working in a war zone. Mr. Yon’s daily expenses are small, but he has paid tens of thousands of dollars for computers, cameras, phones and body armor.

He went to Iraq believing that the mainstream news media were bungling the story, and he still often criticizes the media’s pessimism. But he has also praised particular reporters from major outlets, or defended the media in general, explaining how difficult and dangerous it is to cover the war.

Along the way, he created a niche outlet that is better reported than most blogs, and more opinionated than most news reporting, with enough first-hand observation, clarity and skepticism to put many professional journalists to shame.

gabosaurus
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
But if a blogger tries to show the abuses of power by the U.S. and Iraqi forces, they are slammed as biased.

darin
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
But if a blogger tries to show the abuses of power by the U.S. and Iraqi forces, they are slammed as biased.

...only if what they are saying is a lie, or fake, or out-of-any-appropriate-context.

Psychoblues
01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Exactly, gabby.

By "mainstream media." I am guessing you mean everything except Fox and the New York Post.
Pretty much ALL major media outlets are controlled by mainstream conservative corporations. Of course, any media outlet that questions Bush policy or decisions is automatically classified as "mainstream media."

They listen to that MSM bullshit from the greatest MSM bullshitter ever, Rush Limpdick, and they have little else to say. Ain't it amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

manu1959
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM

tell ya what go find me a blogger that show the abuses of the islamic freedom fighters or say the clintons.....

Psychoblues
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM
You seem to be enormously familiar with those abuses, m'59, why don't you post them? It is your question and obviously your expertise, right?

tell ya what go find me a blogger that show the abuses of the islamic freedom fighters or say the clintons.....

Are you scared? Say so.

manu1959
01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
You seem to be enormously familiar with those abuses, m'59, why don't you post them? It is your question and obviously your expertise, right?
Are you scared? Say so.

cna't find any....it seemed such a simple question.....maybe i should have followed my dad's advice...

SpidermanTUba
01-25-2008, 01:13 AM

And today:

Is this supposed to be good news? When's the last time a U.S. General was arrested for murder and it was considered 'good' news?

Psychoblues
01-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Have you always had such problems with simple questions?

cna't find any....it seemed such a simple question.....maybe i should have followed my dad's advice...

Perhaps your elementary school teachers are at least as much at fault as your father, think so?