PDA

View Full Version : One way to avoid sequestration in the future

KarlMarx
03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
We know that when left to itself, government can accomplish nothing... the current deadlock on Washington is sad proof of that...

In a recent article by Charles Kruathammer, in the federal budget there are...

44 overlapping job training programs, 18 for nutrition assistance, 82 (!) on teacher quality, 56 dealing with financial literacy, more than 20 for homelessness, etc.

consolidating those programs and eliminating the "overlap" between them would save more than what the sequestration demands....

Let's face it, the Democrats don't want to cut because of political reasons... they don't want to be blamed for starving children....

What if instead, the Republicans proposed something that Ronald Reagan did? That is, commission an independent body of people from the private sector to propose spending cuts... that way there would be no political infighting and the blame can be assigned to the commission on implementation....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grace_Commission

That way... no one looks bad, unnecessary overlap can be eliminated and services to people that need them would be maintained....

Why not? Because Ronald Reagan isn't President... Barack Obama, the Human Traffic Jam, is

fj1200
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
What if instead, the Republicans proposed something that Ronald Reagan did? That is, commission an independent body of people from the private sector to propose spending cuts... that way there would be no political infighting and the blame can be assigned to the commission on implementation....

Make it an up or down vote to insulate Congress from the repercussions, because they won't do the right thing on their own, like the Base Closure Commission. It looks like the first one was under Reagan as well.

It would be nice to block grant much of that to the states too but I see zero chance of that.

Robert A Whit
03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
We know that when left to itself, government can accomplish nothing... the current deadlock on Washington is sad proof of that...

In a recent article by Charles Kruathammer, in the federal budget there are...

44 overlapping job training programs, 18 for nutrition assistance, 82 (!) on teacher quality, 56 dealing with financial literacy, more than 20 for homelessness, etc.

consolidating those programs and eliminating the "overlap" between them would save more than what the sequestration demands....

Let's face it, the Democrats don't want to cut because of political reasons... they don't want to be blamed for starving children....

That way... no one looks bad, unnecessary overlap can be eliminated and services to people that need them would be maintained....

Why not? Because Ronald Reagan isn't President... Barack Obama, the Human Traffic Jam, is

I still have my personal copy of the Grace Commission summary report. Back then, I wanted to see what it contained. I wish I had the full report but this is all the Feds sent to me at the time.

It has some of the damnedest displays of stupid laws I ever read. Ronald the Magnus Reagan did all he could to to implement the savings.

Trigg
03-02-2013, 04:30 PM
The government is spending other peoples money and it's such a large amount that they have no idea, exactly where it goes.

aboutime
03-02-2013, 04:48 PM
The government is spending other peoples money and it's such a large amount that they have no idea, exactly where it goes.

Trigg. The government isn't spending other people's money. They are still spending money we don't have, and keep making more of it, or borrowing more...when our own is worthless.
Of course they have no idea where it goes, or who spends it. But printing more only satisfies those who get it for Nothing.4602And the more they make without value. The deeper in debt we get, while it becomes more Useless.