PDA

View Full Version : If you eat, you need to read this

WiccanLiberal
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/health/salt-sugar-fat-moss-time/

Our obsession with sugar, salt and fat
"...That is the one single word that the food industry hates: "addiction." They much prefer words like "crave-ability" and "allure." Some of the top scientists who are very knowledgeable about addiction in the country are very convinced that for some people, the most highly sugared, high fat foods are every bit as addictive as some narcotics."

The author interviewed here confirms what I have learned over time, that the processed food industry in this country is as bad as the tobacco industry. They strive to get you hooked on their product without regard as to whether it is bad for you. And they use all kinds of research to discover just what will make a product attractive. Oddly enough, good cooks use the same tricks in a lot of cases. Kosher salt, for example, just gives you more flavor than regular. A little butter or sour cream makes a dish more satisfying. The difference is that when you cook it yourself, you control how much you use. As an example, I am making beef tips and egg noodles for dinner in the slow cooker. The recipe is a simple one and requires very few ingredients. One is beef broth, The stock from the grocery store has a low sodium version but more fat. I use the standard stuff but don't add extra salt. I will thicken it with a little flour but a processed version of the same recipe would use cream of some sort, again adding fat. I don't mind salt, fat and sugar in my food, but I prefer to know how much and what kind goes into it.

Kathianne
03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
WL, I don't think that 'industries' should be blamed for people's choices. The industries make the products, if the people choose not to buy, they'd make something else or go out of business.

On your own comments regarding foods, I couldn't agree more. The less processed, the better. I've never understood those that would prefer to nuke a $3-5 dinner, when for the same money they could have a much tastier and healthier version of the same. Same with stopping for 'fast food,' though even more expensive. Not only that, but they could have 5-6 servings for lunches or dinners in the future. It's a waste of money and not good for the body.

When I was home with my children, I cooked and baked. Oh I'd buy the gummies or whatever they liked to put in their lunches for themselves or trades, but I made the ham or turkey or chicken that went on their sandwiches, mostly made the bread too. Made soup for winter. I still do the same, just in smaller quantities.

Right now I have the Crock Pot working, after about 15 minutes of 'my time' this morning. Split Pea Soup. I had to sort and soak the peas overnight, wow! That took 3 minutes. Shred the carrots, (which I could have purchased done, but why spend the money?), thanks to the food processor that took less than 3 minutes, including cleaning it. Same with the onions. I did buy a piece of 'turkey ham' simply because I am watching fats, that adds most, if not all the salt necessary for flavor. In a couple hours I'll put the soup in the food processor to make smooth, peel a couple potatoes, chop them and return to the Crock Pot. Total cost? Less than $5. Dinner tonight, probably 8 lunches or dinners from freezer.

When I make something like meatloaf, I buy the meat in bulk. I make two, freeze one. The rest of meat is either made into meatballs to be added to marinara-always found in my freezer, also made in quantity or seasoned and browned for tacos/chili. Saves time in the future and money right now.

In a sense, I make my own 'processed' foods, just use what's healthy, available, and on sale. I now am cooking for one, most of the time, and while I like to eat, I don't like spending 1/2 hour or more making a meal for myself. So, I spend Sundays making something 'for 4-8' and making it fit my lifestyle. Rarely does it take me more than 10 minutes to pull together dinner on a weeknight, even making a salad to go with.

mundame
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/health/salt-sugar-fat-moss-time/

Our obsession with sugar, salt and fat

"...That is the one single word that the food industry hates: "addiction." They much prefer words like "crave-ability" and "allure." Some of the top scientists who are very knowledgeable about addiction in the country are very convinced that for some people, the most highly sugared, high fat foods are every bit as addictive as some narcotics."

The author interviewed here confirms what I have learned over time, that the processed food industry in this country is as bad as the tobacco industry. They strive to get you hooked on their product without regard as to whether it is bad for you. And they use all kinds of research to discover just what will make a product attractive. Oddly enough, good cooks use the same tricks in a lot of cases. Kosher salt, for example, just gives you more flavor than regular. A little butter or sour cream makes a dish more satisfying. The difference is that when you cook it yourself, you control how much you use. As an example, I am making beef tips and egg noodles for dinner in the slow cooker. The recipe is a simple one and requires very few ingredients. One is beef broth, The stock from the grocery store has a low sodium version but more fat. I use the standard stuff but don't add extra salt. I will thicken it with a little flour but a processed version of the same recipe would use cream of some sort, again adding fat. I don't mind salt, fat and sugar in my food, but I prefer to know how much and what kind goes into it.

I put that book on my audiobook wish list, but I don't know ---- if all it says is that the food industry tries to make the food taste good, well, duh! I should hope they would. I don't have a problem with fat, sugar, and salt: of course, I'm from the South, where people know how to cook.

I'm more interested in the "supersizing" and large servings and more food eaten generally issue. That's something that people DID NOT used to do, back in the day, when everyone was thin. 1950s, for instance. I think food companies may have worked on that --- does anyone know a book that talks about that issue?