PDA

View Full Version : Woman gone for a week

jimnyc
03-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Driving the woman to the airport very shortly and she'll be gone for a week on a business trip. It's just me and the kiddo for a week. Is it wrong to have parties with a 12yr old? :dunno:

tailfins
03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Driving the woman to the airport very shortly and she'll be gone for a week on a business trip. It's just me and the kiddo for a week. Is it wrong to have parties with a 12yr old? :dunno:

I'm not a party person. However do make sure you leave the place looking like one featured on "Hoarders". That'll teacher her to walk away for a week like that.

Voted4Reagan
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm not a party person. However do make sure you leave the place looking like one featured on "Hoarders". That'll teacher her to walk away for a week like that.

Party at JIMMY'S!!!

We'll bring the STEAKS!!

03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Can I come?

Robert A Whit
03-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Can I come?

He will invite you over if you look like this.

jimnyc
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM

No way, then she may toss me aside. She's 50x the person I am!

jimnyc
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Can I come?

Absolutely, and looking like Bobby says below would get you VIP entry!

He will invite you over if you look like this.

Syrenn
03-04-2013, 06:38 PM

so long as you clean up before she gets home......

tailfins
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
so long as you clean up before she gets home......

Not a man's job. In my case, especially not a man's job. If I put in 40 at work and my wife puts in 40 at home, why should I be obligated to tip it to 50/30 in her favor?

Robert A Whit
03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
As I see Obama

As I see Democrats

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Not a man's job. In my case, especially not a man's job. If I put in 40 at work and my wife puts in 40 at home, why should I be obligated to tip it to 50/30 in her favor?

Duh, you are TOTALLY incorrect here.
As a wife, homemaker and mom, your wife is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is far more than the piddling 40 hour work week that you put in.
It is unfortunate that you choose not to be a father to your kids. Sitting on the couch all night and on weekends, making the woman do everything, is setting a very poor example.

jafar00
03-05-2013, 01:23 AM

When you get married, you are obligated to love and support your wife and that includes getting the mop out or washing the dishes to help her out. Believe me, she will appreciate the opportunity to kick back with a cup of tea (whch you made for her) for an our or two while you scrub away at the mold in the bathroom or give the oven a good clean.

A marriage is about sharing and caring. Your wife is not your slave.

tailfins
03-05-2013, 04:27 AM
When you get married, you are obligated to love and support your wife and that includes getting the mop out or washing the dishes to help her out. Believe me, she will appreciate the opportunity to kick back with a cup of tea (whch you made for her) for an our or two while you scrub away at the mold in the bathroom or give the oven a good clean.

A marriage is about sharing and caring. Your wife is not your slave.

The tea thing, maybe. I also do all the "guy chores" such as changing light bulbs, getting items stored up high, fix anything that's broken, unloading the groceries. I'm also the family "geek squad", resolving any computer problems for the wife or kids. I keep track of all bills/expenses. I also resolve any conflicts. I do most other tasks the require speaking English such as routine doctor/dentist visits for the wife and kids. I'm also the only one able to help the kids with homework.

Duh, you are TOTALLY incorrect here.
As a wife, homemaker and mom, your wife is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is far more than the piddling 40 hour work week that you put in.
It is unfortunate that you choose not to be a father to your kids. Sitting on the couch all night and on weekends, making the woman do everything, is setting a very poor example.

Only if sitting on the couch means studying JSON, jquery, SQL, Visual Studio, C#, etc., etc., etc. I also play board games with the kids when I can. I earn more by myself than most couples earn combined. My wife knows that having me do brain-dead tasks is not productive. I have also burned entire Saturdays solving a stubborn computer problem that involves a full OS and app install. I couldn't care less about Photography, but I'm becoming expert in it nonetheless because my wife enjoys it and I have to spoonfeed her the know-how. She won't learn English, so I have to study any topic she cares about then tutor her. I do plenty, just not brain-dead tasks.

jafar00
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Tailfins, if the above comment was a joke, you need to use ;) or :D so that seriously jetlagged people like me don't take it the wrong way ;)

tailfins
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Tailfins, if the above comment was a joke, you need to use ;) or :D so that seriously jetlagged people like me don't take it the wrong way ;)

Which comment? How could it be taken the wrong way? Smart people shouldn't do dumb tasks if they want to STAY smart. It two smart people marry, they should hire the housework to be done. If you really want to be technical, I do in a manner help with housework via research: How do you get a spot out of a carpet? How do you treat a jellyfish sting? How do you get mildew off a shower curtain? Which curling iron is a good buy? I then have to explain it in common Portuguese.

My wife doesn't make any effort to learn English and can't help with Elementary school homework. Anything that requires English, I have to do or it doesn't get done.

Oddly enough, my wife PRAISES me for pushing her to be more independent, far more independent than her friends "back home" are.

jafar00
03-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Which comment? How could it be taken the wrong way?

This one http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?39571-Woman-gone-for-a-week&p=622020#post622020

The "Not a man's job bit" :)

tailfins
03-06-2013, 07:43 AM
This one http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?39571-Woman-gone-for-a-week&p=622020#post622020

The "Not a man's job bit" :)

That's how I was raised. My sister got punished once by my mom when my sister asked me to help dry the dishes. My parents made other rednecks look progressive. I know slurs for just about any group. I only found out "nigger" wasn't a normal word because I got in trouble at school.

Syrenn
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
and just where were you raised?

tailfins
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
and just where were you raised?

Rural Missouri.

jimnyc
03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Figures, the woman goes away and the boy gets sick. He was under the weather most of yesterday and his temperature raised. This morning, they sent him home from school with a temp of 100.9. He's been on meds today and just lounging in bed, and he'll be having soup for dinner. Hopefully I can get him to sleep more too in order to recover. He's coughing a tad, says he has a mixture of being cold and hot, and of course the temperature. Any advice? You would think I would know by the time the boy is 12, but I can't barely take care of myself!

Speaking of which, I am a bit under the weather and have a long lasting headache and lack of energy.

fj1200
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Any advice? You would think I would know by the time the boy is 12, but I can't barely take care of myself!

Just let him sleep it off with some Tylenol. Just hearken back to your hangover days and you'll be OK. :poke:

Syrenn
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Figures, the woman goes away and the boy gets sick. He was under the weather most of yesterday and his temperature raised. This morning, they sent him home from school with a temp of 100.9. He's been on meds today and just lounging in bed, and he'll be having soup for dinner. Hopefully I can get him to sleep more too in order to recover. He's coughing a tad, says he has a mixture of being cold and hot, and of course the temperature. Any advice? You would think I would know by the time the boy is 12, but I can't barely take care of myself!

Speaking of which, I am a bit under the weather and have a long lasting headache and lack of energy.
im sorry you both are not feeling well.

some children's Advil or aspirin.....if the cough keeps up some cough syrup. Rest and fluids..... If the temp lasts for more then 3 days take him to the doc.

jimnyc
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Just let him sleep it off with some Tylenol. Just hearken back to your hangover days and you'll be OK. :poke:

Are you saying that the boy is sipping some liquor on the side? LOL

im sorry you both are not feeling well.

some children's Advil or aspirin.....if the cough keeps up some cough syrup. Rest and fluids..... If the temp lasts for more then 3 days take him to the doc.

I have been giving him Childrens liquid tylenol, and he also had some Theraflu. I will continue that, and he's getting crappy soup for dinner whether he likes it or not!

tailfins
03-06-2013, 03:08 PM

That sucks! You're free to belch, fart and scratch your nuts and can't even enjoy it.

fj1200
03-06-2013, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't say a thing like that or even that you should check your liquor cabinet. But just to be safe send me all your liquor so that I can whip up a delicious Steak au Poivre or Whiskey Steak.

I have been giving him Childrens liquid tylenol, and he also had some Theraflu. I will continue that, and he's getting crappy soup for dinner whether he likes it or not!

I hear tailfins has a delicious recipe he's been wanting someone to try. :slurp:

Syrenn
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

truthfully...if he wants to eat something other then soup... let him.

gabosaurus
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tzkG6Xu6lUE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe> .

Kathianne
03-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Keep pushing fluids, check and see if there's some Pedialite on bathroom shelf. Gatorade also is good for electrolytes. Popsicles, jello, etc. are also good. If he wants something other than soup, go for it. Scrambled eggs sometimes something my kids wanted, with cough/sore throat. The temp isn't 'so high' for a 12 year old, if it goes towards 102, have him take a tepid bath. His temp should be normal for at least 24 full hours without fever reducer, before returning to school.

jimnyc
03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Keep pushing fluids, check and see if there's some Pedialite on bathroom shelf. Gatorade also is good for electrolytes. Popsicles, jello, etc. are also good. If he wants something other than soup, go for it. Scrambled eggs sometimes something my kids wanted, with cough/sore throat. The temp isn't 'so high' for a 12 year old, if it goes towards 102, have him take a tepid bath. His temp should be normal for at least 24 full hours without fever reducer, before returning to school.

Just when I was getting him back on track at school.... That's what the nurse told me - 24hrs fever free before returning. It's funny you mention the Pedialyte, as I saw that at the store when I got other meds and it reminded me of when he was younger, but it never occurred to me that it would be good now. Maybe I'll go get that and some of the other stuff you mention. Thanks!!!!

gabosaurus
03-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Just when I was getting him back on track at school.... That's what the nurse told me - 24hrs fever free before returning. It's funny you mention the Pedialyte, as I saw that at the store when I got other meds and it reminded me of when he was younger, but it never occurred to me that it would be good now. Maybe I'll go get that and some of the other stuff you mention. Thanks!!!!

As the mother of a child with a compromised immune system, I feel your pain. In fact, I feel it about once a month or so. Fortunately, both my husband and I have understanding employers.

If I have a question, I follow a procedure that parents throughout time have relied on.
I call my mom. :p

jimnyc
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
As the mother of a child with a compromised immune system, I feel your pain. In fact, I feel it about once a month or so. Fortunately, both my husband and I have understanding employers.

If I have a question, I follow a procedure that parents throughout time have relied on.
I call my mom. :p

Always did the same, even for my own ailments!! LOL I wish I could call Mommy for advice right now. :(

jimnyc
03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I've been letting him rest mostly, but also giving him Theraflu, which has Tylenol in it. I also got him to eat some eggs and toast, and some cereal. I just took his temperature now and it's 99.6. He'll have his medication again before bed and hopefully he'll sleep the night through.

Hold him out tomorrow, even if the temps are back to normal? Seems as if that's the consensus, that a day of rest should be given after the flu subsides a bit. I spoke to my Aunt, who is tutoring him, and she said the same, and said to just have him keep gathering assignments and such from the teachers when he returns, and she'll ensure he gets caught up.

Syrenn
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I've been letting him rest mostly, but also giving him Theraflu, which has Tylenol in it. I also got him to eat some eggs and toast, and some cereal. I just took his temperature now and it's 99.6. He'll have his medication again before bed and hopefully he'll sleep the night through.

Hold him out tomorrow, even if the temps are back to normal? Seems as if that's the consensus, that a day of rest should be given after the flu subsides a bit. I spoke to my Aunt, who is tutoring him, and she said the same, and said to just have him keep gathering assignments and such from the teachers when he returns, and she'll ensure he gets caught up.

yes, hold him out even if his temp is normal tomorrow.

Abbey Marie
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
yes, hold him out even if his temp is normal tomorrow.

I love a definitive answer. :thumb:

Syrenn
03-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I love a definitive answer. :thumb:

lol.... he did ask.....

:cheers2:

Kathianne
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
lol.... he did ask.....

:cheers2:

He didn't 'ask' he took a poll! LOL! School nurse, you, Abbey thanked, his aunt, myself, probably more. I think he was looking for a dissent, but no one there. ;)

Hey Jim, did the boy's temp stay down today, so far? I'm glad he liked the eggs! Don't know why I remembered that from my kids. I think soup takes too long to get down. LOL! Lazy critters when sick!

jimnyc
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
He didn't 'ask' he took a poll! LOL! School nurse, you, Abbey thanked, his aunt, myself, probably more. I think he was looking for a dissent, but no one there. ;)

Hey Jim, did the boy's temp stay down today, so far? I'm glad he liked the eggs! Don't know why I remembered that from my kids. I think soup takes too long to get down. LOL! Lazy critters when sick!

He was hovering around just less than 101 last evening. This morning he was at 100.4 and he had his tylenol, breakfast and more rest. A few hours ago he was at 97.9 and sitting up with the laptop playing video games. Just a few minutes ago he came into my room and declared himself cured! He thinks theraflu is a miracle drug now. Going to keep him in bed the majority of the day today as a precaution and hopefully back to school tomorrow.

Kathianne
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
He was hovering around just less than 101 last evening. This morning he was at 100.4 and he had his tylenol, breakfast and more rest. A few hours ago he was at 97.9 and sitting up with the laptop playing video games. Just a few minutes ago he came into my room and declared himself cured! He thinks theraflu is a miracle drug now. Going to keep him in bed the majority of the day today as a precaution and hopefully back to school tomorrow.

Don't tell the nurse, but I agree as long as his temp stays down with no meds. He'll get all his assignments tomorrow and hopefully catch up over the weekend.

Abbey Marie
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Jim, we have found, and IIRC, studies show, that Advil brings down temps better than Tylenol. Just some info for the future if he has a really high temp, like our daughter used to get all the time.