PDA

View Full Version : Special church in Idar Oberstein (I have black and white pictures)

Robert A Whit
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't have much fun bickering. So, I will see what I can put up that I saw when I was based in Germany. Hope you guys appreciate this.

This data comes from Wikipedia and speaks of the legend behind this church. Expand by double clicking.

According to legend, there were two noble brothers, Wyrich and Emich, who both fell in love with a beautiful girl named Bertha. The brothers lived at Castle Bosselstein, which stood atop a 135 m-high hill. Bertha was from a noble line that occupied the nearby Lichtenburg Castle.
Neither brother was aware of the other’s feelings for Bertha. When Wyrich, the elder brother, was away on some unknown business, Emich succeeded in securing Bertha’s affections and, subsequently, married her. When Emich announced the news to his brother, Wyrich’s temper got the better of him. In the heat of the moment, he hurled his brother out of a window of the castle and sent him to his death on the rocks below.
Wyrich was almost immediately filled with remorse. With the counsel of a local abbot, he began a long period of penance. At this time, Bertha disappears from the historical record. Many romantics feel that she died of a broken heart.
As Wyrich waited for a heavenly sign showing that he was forgiven, the abbot suggested that he build a church on the exact place where his brother died. Wyrich worked and prayed himself into exhaustion. However, the moment the church was completed, he received his sign: a miraculous spring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(hydrology)) opened up in the church.
Wyrich died soon after this. When the local bishop came to consecrate the new church, he found the noble lord dead on its steps. Wyrich was later placed in the same tomb with his brother.

As church appeared when I saw it ,,,

Today

Entrance to church

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 12:42 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X0LcC9KLO1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert A Whit
03-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't get her reply.

Does his mean she thinks it was the Nazis that built that very old church in Germany?

I thought she claims to be part German?