PDA

View Full Version : Dang outsourcing...

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 02:39 PM
One of my colleagues is going to a conference during spring break. She is going to be tied up in meetings pretty much all day, so I told her that I would make her reservation for her. Usually takes about five minutes.

The mistake I made was calling the main reservation line for Hampton Inn. A woman answered who was obviously not a native English speaker. She had trouble with the name I gave her, even when I spelled it. I gave her the location of the hotel I wanted, which is a suburb, and she denied there was a Hampton location there. Then she kept wanting to know my "Honors number," even though I told her I didn't have one.
After several minutes of incoherent haggling, I asked her where she was located. She said she needed to talk to a supervisor.
That is when I hung up and called the desired inn directly, which I should have done in the first place. Took about two minutes.

Another colleague of mine says she refuses to talk to any representative that she knows is outsourced.
Any company that outsources its labor should have to pay import taxes on their goods and services. Simple as that.

fj1200
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Another colleague of mine says she refuses to talk to any representative that she knows is outsourced.
Any company that outsources its labor should have to pay import taxes on their goods and services. Simple as that.

Aw, that's a shame. You should stop supporting policies that raise the regulatory cost of domestic labor.

tailfins
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
One of my colleagues is going to a conference during spring break. She is going to be tied up in meetings pretty much all day, so I told her that I would make her reservation for her. Usually takes about five minutes.

The mistake I made was calling the main reservation line for Hampton Inn. A woman answered who was obviously not a native English speaker. She had trouble with the name I gave her, even when I spelled it. I gave her the location of the hotel I wanted, which is a suburb, and she denied there was a Hampton location there. Then she kept wanting to know my "Honors number," even though I told her I didn't have one.
After several minutes of incoherent haggling, I asked her where she was located. She said she needed to talk to a supervisor.
That is when I hung up and called the desired inn directly, which I should have done in the first place. Took about two minutes.

Poor Southern towns are replacing Asia as an outsourcing hub. Can y'all gimme that dern special number my boss tole me to ask fer?

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Aw, that's a shame. You should stop supporting policies that raise the regulatory cost of domestic labor.

I agree. Hiring American workers is often bad for business. :rolleyes:

tailfins
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM

How about software generated voice prompts with no human available?

fj1200
03-05-2013, 02:52 PM

I heard tell your reading comprehension was better than that. I heard wrong I suppose.

Robert A Whit
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Wait till companies smarten up, use voice recognition systems and you will book via a computer. That can be located anywhere in the world.

SassyLady
03-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Didn't TSA just outsource $50 million to have uniforms made in Mexico? Our own government is outsourcing, imagine that!

aboutime
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Poor Southern towns are replacing Asia as an outsourcing hub. Can y'all gimme that dern special number my boss tole me to ask fer?

We should all OUTSOURCE Gabby and turn to you tailfins. Birds of a feather FLOCK together.

Abbey Marie
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Gabby, I just read a book about the hotel industry. The author worked in hotels for many years. His advice was always call the hotel directly. He said the people who make reservations on those other phone lines have never seen the hotel, and don't know even know a good room from a bad room.

Robert A Whit
03-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Gabby, I just read a book about the hotel industry. The author worked in hotels for many years. His advice was always call the hotel directly. He said the people who make reservations on those other phone lines have never seen the hotel, and don't know even know a good room from a bad room.

I have booked hotels using Hotwire.com and got good rooms. I was once in a large hotel at Honolulu and sometime in the evening, noise started. I called the desk and first they said the workers would finish soon. They kept making noise. The desk moved me to a room and that solved he problem. Now, guess the room rate and the price posted on the door was for $300 per day?

i got it for about $60 per day. I used to stay in other hotels, such as by Beverley Hills and my daily rate was about $220 but were booked one year in advance and we got group rates. I would say the room at Honolulu was about the same sort of room. Down stairs that performer that sings tiny bubbles was featured. I have to locate the receipt since I plan don't remember the name of the hotel.

I spent a lot of time at Hilton's, and those types.

gabosaurus
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I have read a couple of articles where hotel reps say that, in each hotel property, there are rooms that are less desirable than others. Those rooms always go to reservations made through hotwire, expedia, etc. Which is why they are cheap, I suppose.

Abbey, I normally either call hotels direct or use their internet reservations site. In this case, I was calling from work and didn't want to call long distance. I finally gave up and used my cell phone.

Robert A Whit
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I have read a couple of articles where hotel reps say that, in each hotel property, there are rooms that are less desirable than others. Those rooms always go to reservations made through hotwire, expedia, etc. Which is why they are cheap, I suppose.

Abbey, I normally either call hotels direct or use their internet reservations site. In this case, I was calling from work and didn't want to call long distance. I finally gave up and used my cell phone.

Say what you want but when you can get a luxury room for $60 per night, that is excellent. And elsewhere in the hotel you can eat some very good food.

I last paid in the $230 range before Clinton became president.

For $170 per week (not through hotwire) I get either a 1 BR unit with LR and FP and Dining and Kitchen or a 2 Br or 3 Br place with added bathrooms. Bathrooms with very large showers plus the giant jacuzzi tubs. That works out to about $25 per day. These sites do not always have a restaurant on site but some do. They do have swimming pools.

I stayed in a 2 BR place at Scottsdale, AZ and it cost me $170 for the week. And the site was as if brand new.

A 3 br site at Branson, MO with all amenities including two private screened in rooms. The Master Br was very large. Half a dozen people could fit in the shower. Two in the jacuzzi tub. $170 per week. 1 Br luxury apartment on the Big Island for same price.

tailfins
03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tailfins http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=622176#post622176)

We should all OUTSOURCE Gabby and turn to you tailfins. Birds of a feather FLOCK together.

It's true. Call centers are being located in the rural South where people are so desperate for jobs they accept being treated like cattle.

Robert A Whit
03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
It's true. Call centers are being located in the rural South where people are so desperate for jobs they accept being treated like cattle.

An American Chinese woman started making candles in her home. She needed to up her supply and started having her candles made in China. She had several thousand workers in China making her products.

Chine wages grew. She now has only 600+/- workers in China and has vastly increased her hiring back in the USA but uses machines here. She is exporting candle to China. And a lot of Chinese jobs are being outsourced to the USA.

Here is the link to the CBS news site.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57573446/made-in-the-usa-again/

gabosaurus
03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
The average Chinese worker makes just over $1 per hour. Women and children make considerably less.
How considerate of the American Chinese woman to exploit her fellow countrywomen.

Robert A Whit
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
The average Chinese worker makes just over $1 per hour. Women and children make considerably less.
How considerate of the American Chinese woman to exploit her fellow countrywomen.

A wise Gabby would have watched the CBS video then put her foot into her mouth.

Robert A Whit
03-10-2013, 06:02 PM

She did not claim to use average Chinese workers. She did state that wages go up in China 30 percent per year. She also said (correcting my earlier post) she had 2000 workers but cut down to 300 Chinese workers. She says one American does the work of 10 Chinese. She is proud she exports to China. I thought your game is you want more Americans doing jobs? She states she has 60 Americans working for her in MD.

Oh, how many workers do you personally have working for you?

fj1200
03-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Chine wages grew.

Amazing what a cheap dollar will do.

fj1200
03-11-2013, 03:38 AM

: psst: Comparative advantage.