PDA

View Full Version : Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
PBS News had an interesting discussion with Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli tonight about his new book "The Last Line of Defense."
It is a book about the role of Big Government and how it has been a problem ever since the days of the Founding Fathers.
Cuccinelli made some great points about how the Executive Branch has always tried to overstretch its boundaries, and how the states need to do their part in reigning in federal power.

I was wondering if any of you had read the book. Or were more familiar with Cuccinelli.

Robert A Whit
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
PBS News had an interesting discussion with Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli tonight about his new book "The Last Line of Defense."
It is a book about the role of Big Government and how it has been a problem ever since the days of the Founding Fathers.
Cuccinelli made some great points about how the Executive Branch has always tried to overstretch its boundaries, and how the states need to do their part in reigning in federal power.

I was wondering if any of you had read the book. Or were more familiar with Cuccinelli.

i saw the program. Saw him speaking. Have not read the book. He made a strong case that the Executive branch is using powers it does not have.[video]http://video.pbs.org/video/2340854855/

Sorry, you must click the link and video will come forth

gabosaurus
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
i saw the program. Saw him speaking. Have not read the book. He made a strong case that the Executive branch is using powers it does not have.

I thought so as well. What surprised me was his statement that all presidents, regardless of party, have done such. And if called out on it, they always blame their successor for such.

Robert A Whit
03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I thought so as well. What surprised me was his statement that all presidents, regardless of party, have done such. And if called out on it, they always blame their successor for such.

Abe pulled that stunt.

But other than him, the modern day power grabs started with Woodrow Wilson.

I agree that bit by bit, most if not all following presidents grabbed power not designated to be their power. Truman fir instance broke a strike with the Steel mills. Challenged in court, he lost.

fj1200
03-06-2013, 08:02 AM

Nope, haven't read it but it sounds good especially if you haven't panned it straight away. IMO any POTUS should be an advocate for the branch that they represent just as any Congress person should be an advocate for the branch that they represent. But the point about the States needing to reign in Federal power is by what method do they have to be able to accomplish that? They are no longer represented and really haven't officially been represented since the passage of the 17th.