PDA

View Full Version : What have we become?

Abbey Marie
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
When I want to tour our local 1,000 acre Longwood Gardens, and have pain from the torn labrum in my hip, my husband sometimes suggests I "just use one of the garden's scooters". He's probably tired of waiting for me to keep up, lol.

I always refuse. In order not to be in any way associated with this lovely phenomenon, I'd rather limp along in pain. And no, I surely don't look anything like this!

(And I don't think this was caused by drinking large sodas).

http://www.daveandthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/walmart-fat-scooter.jpg

fj1200
03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
A country that protects us from the consequences of our own actions.

SassyLady
03-08-2013, 12:20 AM

Yeah ... by providing the scooters to enable people ... so they aren't really reaping the consequences.

SassyLady
03-08-2013, 12:20 AM
fj ... funny sig line

03-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Crazy isnt it?

Youre local to longwood gardens?

Abbey Marie
03-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Crazy isnt it?

Youre local to longwood gardens?

Yup, not far at all. We are members there.

03-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Yup, not far at all. We are members there.

it's practically down the street for me. Granted. about 20+ miles but still down the street lol

Voted4Reagan
03-08-2013, 06:22 AM

you just defined liberalism

revelarts
03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
It's the American diet in general, with the fast, processed and junk foods.
and most people know they should eat better but they'd rather eat comfortably than well. And screw their faces up at "health food" as if IT's bad or unnatural, sorta elitists and abnormal.
add to it, lil to no exercise for 20-30 yrs and you a country full of people in your picture.

like a lot of issues people really don't want to change what they do or think,
they just want a quick fix or a scooter to help them to manage the problem, with the lest amount of effort.

caption for the picture
"put the ice cream in the basket honey i can't reach it."

fj1200
03-08-2013, 07:06 AM
fj ... funny sig line

I thought so too which is why I blatantly stole it from someone. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
it's practically down the street for me. Granted. about 20+ miles but still down the street lol

We could have a staff meeting! :cool:

Abbey Marie
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
It's the American diet in general, with the fast, processed and junk foods.
and most people know they should eat better but they'd rather eat comfortably than well. And screw their faces up at "health food" as if IT's bad or unnatural, sorta elitists and abnormal.
add to it, lil to no exercise for 20-30 yrs and you a country full of people in your picture.

like a lot of issues people really don't want to change what they do or think,
they just want a quick fix or a scooter to help them to manage the problem, with the lest amount of effort.

caption for the picture
"put the ice cream in the basket honey i can't reach it."

People eat worse when they are too lazy to cook. Then the obesity sets in, and they become even more lazy. Eventually, they're riding a scooter around WalMart buying more junk food. Ever have to jump out of the way of a scooter coming fast right at you? I have. They seem to think they have the right of way.

tailfins
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
People eat worse when they are too lazy to cook. Then the obesity sets in, and they become even more lazy. Eventually, they're riding a scooter around WalMart buying more junk food. Ever have to jump out of the way of a scooter coming fast right at you? I have. They seem to think they have the right of way.

They not only have the right of way, but are guaranteed preferential parking. I DARE you to confront one of them.

My wife won't let me become one of them. I want eggs fried in bacon grease. She says I will have to cook them myself if I want them which she knows will never happen.

Robert A Whit
03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
LMAO

Those must be my two sisters.

I went out walking the other day and walked for about 2 miles. Everything was fine when I got back. Then 2 days later I went to walk again and started feeling mild pain in my right hip. I walked about 20 minutes that time. I have to go out walking today and expect more pain in the hip. I recall my dad having hip socket surgery and that is plain terrible until he healed, then it was good for him. He suffered many years with said pain. We used to work at the same construction company and I think he started having pain in that hip by 1966. I got out of construction in 1967 other than a one month stint in late 1979. I weighed this am and am 230 again. I must walk daily and get back down to no more than 180. I was down to 200 and regressed. Damn it. I blame me and posting. LOL

tailfins
05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
When I want to tour our local 1,000 acre Longwood Gardens, and have pain from the torn labrum in my hip, my husband sometimes suggests I "just use one of the garden's scooters". He's probably tired of waiting for me to keep up, lol.

I always refuse. In order not to be in any way associated with this lovely phenomenon, I'd rather limp along in pain. And no, I surely don't look anything like this!

(And I don't think this was caused by drinking large sodas).

I know this is an old thread and back when it was posted I thought the narrative was "I'm glad I'm better than they are". I saw something today that made me take a deeper look. The question arises how does one get to be that way? I saw someone speed over to a parking space by the door at work. There was another available maybe ten car lengths away. Was it really THAT important to save ten car lengths of walking? How does everybody think people get to be like the ones in the above photo?

jimnyc
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM

And it's not just the 2 fat bastards on the motorized fat carriers, notice the 3rd fatty in the background talking on her cell phone!

tailfins
05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
And it's not just the 2 fat bastards on the motorized fat carriers, notice the 3rd fatty in the background talking on her cell phone!

I think I see a slippery slope here: Once they hit a certain weight, they become legally disabled and qualify for SSDI which makes them even more shiftless with no desire to get a job, gaining even more weight. Perhaps the third one is talking on the cell phone because she has nothing better to do. I'm not judging, just looking at HOW this happens.

jimnyc
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I think I see a slippery slope here: Once they hit a certain weight, they become legally disabled and qualify for SSDI which makes them even more shiftless with no desire to get a job, gaining even more weight. Perhaps the third one is talking on the cell phone because she has nothing better to do. I'm not judging, just looking at HOW this happens.

Not just yet...

If I recall correctly, federal law only protects those under the ADA who got there due to no fault of their own, a disorder for example, and it still must meet other conditions. As far as discrimination - only one state, Michigan, protects people from discrimination based on obesity.

Dilloduck
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
If makes me all warm and fuzzy to be such a tolerant country.

Marcus Aurelius
05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoPq5AOCOA

jimnyc
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM

I'm tolerant! At the rate I am going, I may be one of those slobs down the road. But you won't find me on that poor overworked scooter! :lol:

cadet
05-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Well, we need to be tolerant of those whom are a lot larger then us.

We'll just give them handycap parking at the back of the lot... To help with their overworked hearts. And help them a little.

Dilloduck
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, we need to be tolerant of those whom are a lot larger then us.

We'll just give them handycap parking at the back of the lot... To help with their overworked hearts. And help them a little.

No no--we can't make it too inconvenient for them. They might not come back. The store wants their money.

cadet
05-01-2013, 04:46 PM
No no--we can't make it too inconvenient for them. They might not come back. The store wants their money.

Sure they'll come back, they'll just treasure their stuff more for all the extra hard work they put into getting it. :laugh2: