PDA

View Full Version : Holder Responds To Rand Paul, Again

Kathianne
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/carney-affirms-limits-to-governments-authority-to-use

Obama Administration Responds To Rand Paul On Drones

The U.S. government cannot target an American citizen who is not engaged in combat on American soil, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Thursday during his daily press briefing.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) had on Thursday asked the administration if the president has the authority to use a mechanized drone against an American on U.S. soil who is not engaged in hostile activities. "The answer to that question is no," Carney said, reading from a new a letter from Attorney General Eric Holder addressed to Paul.

Paul on Wednesday engaged in a 13-hour "talking" filibuster of the confirmation of the next CIA director over the issue of the president's authority to use drone strikes against U.S. citizens. He has said once the White House gives sufficient answer, he would allow a vote on the nomination of John Brennan.

http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/5ujy5hhugw27784l/images/1-7694c63e90.jpg

Kathianne
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Paul responds to Holder's second response:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/07/white-house-obama-would-not-use-drones-against-u-s-citizens-on-american-soil/?hpid=z1

Eric Holder responds to Rand Paul with ‘no,’ Paul satisfied By Rachel Weiner , Updated: <time class="entry-date" datetime="2013-03-07T14:02:56+00:00" pubdate="">March 7, 2013</time> Attorney General Eric Holder has written a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) saying that a drone could not be used against a noncombatant American. In response, Paul has said he the Senate should move ahead with John Brennan’s nomination as director of the CIA. The vote is being held this afternoon.

The letter followed a 13-hour filibuster of Brennan by Paul and several other senators, who objected to the possibility of domestic drone strikes on U.S. citizens.

“Does the president have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on U.S. soil?” Holder’s letter reads. “The answer to that is no.”

Read: Holder’s letter to Sen. Paul

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/files/2013/03/Senator-Rand-Paul-Letter.pdf)

Paul said Thursday afternoon that he’s happy with the response and that he urges the Senate to proceed to a vote on Brennan’s nomination.

“I’m quite happy with the answer,” Paul said. “Through the advise and consent process, I’ve got an important answer.”

Paul added of the Brennan vote: “Yes, we’ll hold it as soon as people want to today.”

Senate Republicans have said there will be two votes this afternoon, one a 60-vote hurdle to end the filibuster and the other to confirm Brennan as CIA director. Confirmation is expected.

As for his own vote, Paul said: “I’m still thinking about it.” He said there are still questions about the drone program but, “I’ve kind of won my battle.”

In an earlier letter (http://paul.senate.gov/files/documents/BrennanHolderResponse.pdf), Holder told Paul that “it is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States.”
In a subsequent exchange with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Holder said (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ag-holder-government-sanctioned-us-cafe-killings/story?id=18669421) it would not be constitutional to kill a U.S. citizen on American soil if that person does not pose an imminent threat.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Thursday that “the president has not and would not use drone strikes against American citizens on American soil,” suggesting Paul’s questions were “wild hypotheticals.”

They may 'suggest' all they wish, the first response made clear where they were, then.

jimnyc
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I still don't trust a word they say, on paper or not. But I'm glad that the entire Congress, President and AG took notice. I'm sure many Americans, who wouldn't have otherwise, are now interested in the issue. Whether a stunt as the RINO's say or not, it worked.

revelarts
03-07-2013, 05:04 PM
believe it or not I'm still a bit dubious.

I can hear Clinton saying, 'that depends on what the definition of is is.'
'is', in this case being, not engaged combat.
But i do hope they really mean it.
That's at least a break on what's already been an overreach, by killing Americans overseas who were "not engaged in combat" at the time.

good job on Rand Paul for -at least- forcing a clear answer on a important issue.

revelarts
03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Brenan should not be confirmed, he should be in jail IMO.
Rand Paul and the other congress folks are not making a strong enough statement in pointing out the problems with that guy.
It's allowing a known shady hand run an already shady branch of gov't. makes no sense to approve that guy especially knowing what i know Paul knows.
Paul is playing big politics, while doing a bit of good IMO.
I'd like to think , he's only doing what he has to to get the "realistic" concessions that he can from the rank and file. But i'm to jaundice at this point to think that we'll get more than a few crumbs of liberty back like that in the long run while he amasses more power and influence playing the status quo.

Kathianne
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Brenan should not be confirmed, he should be in jail IMO.
Rand Paul and the other congress folks are not making a strong enough statement in pointing out the problems with that guy.
It's allowing a known shady hand run an already shady branch of gov't. makes no sense to approve that guy especially knowing what i know Paul knows.
Paul is playing big politics, while doing a bit of good IMO.
I'd like to think , he's only doing what he has to to get the "realistic" concessions that he can from the rank and file. But i'm to jaundice at this point to think that we'll get more than a few crumbs of liberty back like that in the long run while he amasses more power and influence playing the status quo.

In all honesty, Rev, Paul was given kudos for the Holder mess, which seemed to be his point. It was never about Brennan, according to Paul.

revelarts
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
In all honesty, Rev, Paul was given kudos for the Holder mess, which seemed to be his point. It was never about Brennan, according to Paul.

yes your right.

I just wished more in congress would have taken a stand against Brennan on similar grounds. He did advise on the kill list. as well as take part in various other shady deals.

but your right it was a good play on Paul's parts.

Voted4Reagan
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
not a big Rand Paul or Ron Paul fan...

But well done...

Trigg
03-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I still don't trust a word they say, on paper or not. But I'm glad that the entire Congress, President and AG took notice. I'm sure many Americans, who wouldn't have otherwise, are now interested in the issue. Whether a stunt as the RINO's say or not, it worked.

I'm not sure MOST Americans are aware of the drone issue even now. I honestly believe that only 20% of the public had paid any attention at all.

All the same kudos to Paul for the effort.

aboutime
03-07-2013, 06:53 PM
It was a pleasure to watch Senator Paul do his MISTER SMITH filibustering yesterday.

It reassured my feelings about why I do NOT trust anyone, or anything related to the Obama administration.

Needless to say. Whatever letters may have been made public by Holder, or Obama.

Based on their combined LIAR records. I put nothing past either Holder, or Obama...breaking their word to the American people.
And I totally DISTRUST BOTH MEN, and all they PRETEND to stand for.
Remembering. OBAMA is a Liar is all I need to do.