PDA

View Full Version : Cook Co. to begin posting photos of unclaimed bodies online

jimnyc
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Whether this ends up helping or not, I disagree with this. Kinda tacky, and morbid.

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - For the first time, the Cook County medical examiner's office has posted photos of unclaimed bodies on their website in an effort to help identify them.

The program is generating some controversy because of the graphic images, but for the sake of people missing loved ones, this is a decision where the medical examiner believes the ends justify the means.

The site contains information about when the bodies were found and where, along with as much identifying information as possible—including, in some cases--photos of the victim's face.

"We're hoping that that photo can trigger somebody's memory, that you know, that person grew up down the street from me, or that person used to live nearby and I know where their mom is," Cook County Medical Examiner Dr. Steve Cina says.

If there are other identifying images, as in tattoos, those are also posted. The images are also linked to NAMUS, a national unidentified persons database. That connection recently resulted in a Michigan family identifying their missing daughter.

Cina knows the images are graphic, but he makes no apologies. He did take some safeguards, though, making sure a warning page pops up before people see the pictures.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/21532865/cook-co-to-begin-posting-photos-of-unclaimed-bodies-online

Little-Acorn
03-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Morgues are overflowing in Chicago, eh?

Why am I not surprised?

cadet
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
The program is generating some controversy because of the graphic images, but for the sake of people missing loved ones, this is a decision where the medical examiner believes the ends justify the means.

For the love of God people, if you don't want to look at the graphic images, don't look at them!

Syrenn
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Whether this ends up helping or not, I disagree with this. Kinda tacky, and morbid.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/21532865/cook-co-to-begin-posting-photos-of-unclaimed-bodies-online

i think its a great idea?

here is the question to ask yourself when thinking about this subject.

If you were searching for someone you loved that had disappeared and had no luck. Wouldn't you want to look at a database like this and see if the person you were looking for was there or not?

jimnyc
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM
i think its a great idea?

here is the question to ask yourself when thinking about this subject.

If you were searching for someone you loved that had disappeared and had no luck. Wouldn't you want to look at a database like this and see if the person you were looking for was there or not?

I agree in a database of sorts, I just don't like the idea of it being on the internet. If someone is missing, a police report should help. They can already get in contact with the county morgue. Maybe make a viewable database for those that come in to the morgue? While I see your point, imagine finding the person you are looking for, and then find out his/her picture is on a million websites being made fun of, or even discussed for that fact. I can't imagine this not being abused, or disrespect not being brought to the dead.

Syrenn
03-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I agree in a database of sorts, I just don't like the idea of it being on the internet. If someone is missing, a police report should help. They can already get in contact with the county morgue. Maybe make a viewable database for those that come in to the morgue? While I see your point, imagine finding the person you are looking for, and then find out his/her picture is on a million websites being made fun of, or even discussed for that fact. I can't imagine this not being abused, or disrespect not being brought to the dead.

i actually think a public internet database like this is a good idea for people searching for loved ones who are missing. The other upside in my opinion is that glow of information with something like can go both ways. It could also help to catch killers.

though i can see how it could and most likely be abused.

Voted4Reagan
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Morgues are overflowing in Chicago, eh?

Why am I not surprised?

No guns allowed....

well... the criminals are allowed

aboutime
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Great idea! In Cook Co., Chicago land...those photo's would be reminders to RAHM, and OBAMA...

about how never letting a crisis go to waste...

also LOWERS the number of Potential Democrat Voters too!

Not that RAHM, or OBAMA care about Americans...alive, or dead.

KitchenKitten99
03-07-2013, 11:38 PM

Not to say that will not happen, but in this situation I don't see much on the site's descriptions of the deceased, or the photos (yes, I clicked on them just to see if there was any possibility of ridicule), there really isn't much with the photos either. I'm not that much of a bitch to do (much less think of doing) something like that anyway. That thought wouldn't even have entered my mind until you wrote it. I am sure there are some jackasses out there who might do something like that, but somehow I see that as unlikely given what I saw.

Besides, not everyone has the ability to go TO the morgue in Cook County. What if the person's relatives are out of state? I know that we have plenty of Chicago residents who travel up here to MN once a month to claim their benefit checks for welfare and food stamps, as well as other stuff. Many have a family member or several that live here so they can use a MN address to qualify. Not all those family members have the ability to travel to Chicago (6.5+ hour drive one-way from TC's) and back to check the morgue.