PDA

View Full Version : George Will Sums Up The School Insanity

Kathianne
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-schools-protecting-us-from-the-pop-tart-terrorist/2013/03/08/6a636fdc-8752-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html

The Pop-Tart terrorist By George F. Will (http://www.washingtonpost.com/george-f-will/2011/02/24/ABVZKXN_page.html), Published: March 8 Rodney Francis is insufficiently ambitious. The pastor of the Washington Tabernacle Baptist Church in St. Louis has entered the fray over guns, violence and humanity’s fallen nature with a plan for a “buyback” of children’s toy guns (http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/pastor-plans-toy-gun-buyback-program/). And toy swords and other make-believe weapons. There is, however, a loophole in the pastor’s panacea. He neglects the problem of ominously nibbled and menacingly brandished breakfast pastries.

Joshua Welch — a boy, wouldn’t you know; no good can come of these turbulent creatures — who is 7, was suspended from second grade in Maryland’s Anne Arundel County last week because of his “Pop-Tart pistol. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/anne-arundel-second-grader-suspended-for-chewing-his-pastry-into-the-shape-of-a-gun/2013/03/04/44c4bbcc-84c4-11e2-98a3-b3db6b9ac586_story.html)” While eating a rectangular fruit-filled sugary something — nutritionist Michelle Obama probably disapproves of it, and don’t let Michael Bloomberg get started — Joshua tried biting it into the shape of a mountain but decided it looked more like a gun. So with gender-specific perversity, he did the natural thing. He said, “Bang, bang.”

But is this really natural? Or is nature taking a back seat to nurture, yet again? Is Joshua’s “bang, bang” a manifestation of some prompting in our defective social atmosphere, and therefore something society could and should stamp out?

While some might enjoy dog-paddling around in this deep philosophic water, Joshua’s school, taking its cue from Hamlet, did not allow its resolve to be “sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought.” More eager to act than to think, the school suspended Joshua and sent a letter (http://www.aacps.org/html/schol/Elementary/letters/3_01_13.pdf) to all the pupils’ parents, urging them to discuss the “incident” — which the school includes in the category “classroom disruptions” — with their children “in a manner you deem most appropriate.”

Ah, yes. The all-purpose adjective “appropriate.” The letter said “one of our students used food to make inappropriate gestures” and, although “no physical threats were made and no one was harmed,” the code of student conduct stipulates “appropriate consequences.” The letter, suffused with the therapeutic ethic, suggested that parents help their children “share their feelings” about all this. It also said the school counselor is available, presumably to cope with Post-Pastry Trauma Syndrome.

By now, Americans may be numb to such imbecilities committed by the government institutions to which they entrust their children for instruction. Nothing surprises after that 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl was labeled a “terroristic threat,” suspended from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation because she talked about shooting herself and others with her Hello Kitty gun that shoots bubbles (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/21/us/pennsylvania-girl-suspended). But looking on the bright side, perhaps we should welcome these multiplying episodes as tutorials about the nature of the regulatory state that swaddles us ever more snuggly with its caring. If so, give thanks for the four Minnesota state legislators whose bill would ban “bullying” at school (https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF0826&ssn=0&y=2013).

Government is failing spectacularly at its core functions, such as budgeting and educating. Yet it continues to multiply its peripheral and esoteric responsibilities, tasks that require it to do things for which it has no aptitude, such as thinking and making common-sense judgments. Government nowadays is not just embarrassing, it is — let us not mince words — inappropriate.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-09-2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-schools-protecting-us-from-the-pop-tart-terrorist/2013/03/08/6a636fdc-8752-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html

Obviously George Will was not brave enough to say the correct word. He should have used "tyrannical" instead of "inappropriate" ! A little self reflection and a healthy does of the truth of the matter would do Mr. Wills a world of good IMHO.
Clipping the legs off of a brutal truth serves nobody but it is the method most often used today in media.

The importance of presenting the bare naked TRUTH has been replaced with the PC insanity and much heralded tactic of trying to not offend any living being. Reality denies the correctness of doing so therefore reality gets it's own special treatment too.

The rest of the world would laugh at us more but they were converted before we were! Just as blind, lazy and ignorant but that does us no good..-Tyr

Robert A Whit
03-09-2013, 03:35 PM
That little snot nosed punk kid that dared to nibble a pop tart to a state where an adult mistook it for a pistol ought to be caned, put in prison and his parents tossed in as well.That will teach snot nosed kids not to nibble pop tarts that way. :rolleyes:

Robert A Whit
03-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Sic Taft on such kids. He knows how to handle snot nosed kids that nibble pop tarts to an illegal shape.

taft2012
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Sic Taft on such kids. He knows how to handle snot nosed kids that nibble pop tarts to an illegal shape.

So, have you been able to find a pair of ladies shoes that fit you yet?

aboutime
03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
So, have you been able to find a pair of ladies shoes that fit you yet?

taft. He won't be able to find that pair of ladies shoes that fit until he figures out how to take off that girdle with the garters, holding up his Antique nylons.

Voted4Reagan
03-09-2013, 07:24 PM

if you want to disrupt every thread with your pokes at Taft, TAKE IT TO THE CAGE as JIMMY has said a million times.

just stop....put him on ignore or take it elsewhere..

Seriously... stop Robert

aboutime
03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
if you want to disrupt every thread with your pokes at Taft, TAKE IT TO THE CAGE as JIMMY has said a million times.

just stop....put him on ignore or take it elsewhere..

Seriously... stop Robert

V4R. I agree. In case you may have noticed. On several occasions. I have tried to be friendly with Robert, attempting to use comedy in many ways, and even being serious. But it's become like running into a brick wall. So. I took jim's advice, as you reminded him, and tried the IGNORE feature only to find that doesn't work either.

Now. Even as I speak to you about Robert. He will begin to accuse you of doing as he must accuse me...in speaking about 'posters' behind their back to start arguments, and use all of the name calling as unjust, and unfair toward Robert.

What else can we do...other than ignoring stupidity?

Voted4Reagan
03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
V4R. I agree. In case you may have noticed. On several occasions. I have tried to be friendly with Robert, attempting to use comedy in many ways, and even being serious. But it's become like running into a brick wall. So. I took jim's advice, as you reminded him, and tried the IGNORE feature only to find that doesn't work either.

Now. Even as I speak to you about Robert. He will begin to accuse you of doing as he must accuse me...in speaking about 'posters' behind their back to start arguments, and use all of the name calling as unjust, and unfair toward Robert.

What else can we do...other than ignoring stupidity?

I remember when we used to joke about the IGNORE feature at THE OTHER PLACE.

But I agree it serves a purpose.

I recommend it.

aboutime
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I remember when we used to joke about the IGNORE feature at THE OTHER PLACE.

But I agree it serves a purpose.

I recommend it.

If only it worked as intended, across the board, and not just as a matter of pretending to IGNORE.