PDA

View Full Version : Golfer falls into a sinkhole in the middle of an Illinois fairway

jimnyc
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
What are the odds? You're just hanging around, shooting a round of golf - and POOF - the ground disappears and you are swallowed! WHY couldn't this have happened to Obama!!!???

You know what's fun? Hitting your drive in the middle of the fairway. You know what isn't fun? Getting penalized for it. Most of the time that means your ball finds a divot, but one Illinois golfer found plenty more trouble out in the middle of a Waterloo, Ill. golf course fairway.

Mark Mihal, from Creve Coeur, Mo., was playing Annbriar Golf Course, a place he frequents, when ground gave way to the 43-year-old, dropping him 18 feet into the middle of a dirt abyss.

“I was standing in the middle of the fairway,” Mihal told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Monday. “Then, all of a sudden, before I knew it, I was underground.”

Immediately Mihal said he thought back to a story of a man that was sleeping when ground gave way and he was never recovered, but after 20 minutes, some rope and help from the course's general manager, he was pulled from the sinkhole and back on solid ground.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/illinois-golfer-falls-sinkhole-middle-fairway-152444582--golf.html

Abbey Marie
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
What a great hazard! :laugh2:

jimnyc
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Haven't thought of that! Does he lose a stroke? Does he get a mulligan?

Abbey Marie
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Haven't thought of that! Does he lose a stroke? Does he get a mulligan?

Good questions!

If this keeps up, I think I am going to invent a telescope-golf club. Or maybe periscope-golf club.

Kathianne
03-12-2013, 01:37 PM
My old college roomate was from Waterloo. Farming area in Western Illinois. Last I knew, she was a successful novelist with 6 kids, married to a farmer.

Robert A Whit
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
My old college roomate was from Waterloo. Farming area in Western Illinois. Last I knew, she was a successful novelist with 6 kids, married to a farmer.

One out of two being successful is fair odds.

Voted4Reagan
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Golf or Die...

What a concept!

aboutime
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't that be considered "a hole in One​"?

Little-Acorn
03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Wouldn't that be considered "a hole in One

More like One in a Hole.

Voted4Reagan
03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
according to the rules... if that happened he would be allowed to place his ball 2 club lengths to the point of nearest relief and there would be no penalty

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
What are the odds? You're just hanging around, shooting a round of golf - and POOF - the ground disappears and you are swallowed! WHY couldn't this have happened to Obama!!!???

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/illinois-golfer-falls-sinkhole-middle-fairway-152444582--golf.html

Why not indeed?!!!!!--Tyr