PDA

View Full Version : NFL - new proposed rule would suck!

jimnyc
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
In a nutshell, the rule would basically exclude running backs from lowering their heads when running forward, which is like every play.

Emmitt Smith says proposed safety rule change means NFL has lost its mindHall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith didn't mince any words when asked about a potential NFL rule change on Thursday.

If the league's competition committee approves a rule outlawing contact that is initiated by the crown of the helmet, Smith says that will be proof that the league "has lost" its "mind.

Twenty four of 32 votes are needed to pass the safety-minded rule, which would apply to players on both sides of the ball when contact is made outside the tackle box. The vote will be made at next week's owners meetings in Phoenix.

Smith, the league's all-time rushing leader who fought for every one of his 18,355 yards, will apparently be watching with much interest.

From 105.3 The Fan:

“If I’m a running back and I’m running into a linebacker, you’re telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?’’ Smith said Thursday in an exclusive interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “You’ve absolutely lost your mind.’’

“As a running back, it’s almost impossible (to not lower your head),’’ said the Dallas Cowboys legend. “The first thing you do is get behind your shoulder pads. That means you’re leaning forward and the first part of contact that’s going to take place is your head, regardless."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/emmitt-smith-says-proposed-safety-rule-change-means-160244253--nfl.html

Little-Acorn
03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
This can work.

You chase the guy who's carrying the ball. And when you get close enough, you pull the little yellow flag out of his belt... or, alternatively, hit him with your purse.

What's the issue here?

Robert A Whit
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
This can work.

You chase the guy who's carrying the ball. And when you get close enough, you pull the little yellow flag out of his belt... or, alternatively, hit him with your purse.

What's the issue here?

NASCAR and INDY limits the power of the race cars.

These pro football injuries have increased as players bodies get larger.

Maybe it's time to limit the weight of pro football players.

F=MA

We can't change natures laws.

Little-Acorn
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
NASCAR and INDY limits the power of the race cars.

These pro football injuries have increased as players bodies get larger.

Maybe it's time to limit the weight of pro football players.

F=MA

We can't change natures laws.

How? Guillotine on the sidelines?

Viewership would increase significantly. And think of the savings in contract costs.

But there might be drawbacks.

Robert A Whit
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
How? Guillotine on the sidelines?

Viewership would increase significantly. And think of the savings in contract costs.

But there might be drawbacks.

That won't fly so I would never suggest that be done.

aboutime
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Jimnyc. This is nothing more than the continued combination of political correctness with nearly everything that takes place in our FAILING, Immoral Society today which I, and many others may agree is...The WUSSIFICATION of everything that might bother, insult, offend, challenge, or present reality as an option to ENDLESS STUPIDITY...by those who use it to control, and destroy whatever they don't like, or what they hate.

One step at a time. This nation is going down the SEWER, and the American people who whine about everything are the TOILET.

Anton Chigurh
03-15-2013, 07:55 PM
The helmet isn't a battering ram - it is protection from blows to the head.

Using it as a battering ram is what's caused the increase in head injuries.

Coaches, starting at the pee-wee level and on up, need to STOP teaching players to use their "hat" as a weapon.

All that said, I do not support these silly rules changes and I hope the owners vote this one down.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
This can work.

What's the issue here?

Issue is simple.
Soon "they" (the puzzies) would start screaming purse or yellow flag abuse and a fix would be needed for that..

jimnyc
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
The helmet isn't a battering ram - it is protection from blows to the head.

Using it as a battering ram is what's caused the increase in head injuries.

Coaches, starting at the pee-wee level and on up, need to STOP teaching players to use their "hat" as a weapon.

All that said, I do not support these silly rules changes and I hope the owners vote this one down.

Agree about the weapon thing, but they still need to lower their heads as protection. No one should lower it to use as a weapon, or spearing, or to go head to head on purpose. But a RB is taught to lower their heads as a way to minimize the impact to their bodies AND head, believe it or not. It on much more of a swivel standing straight up, and lowering the body and head while running lessens the target and gives more support to their heads. I think in some cases it could help, to avoid those massive head-head collisions we see with the backs and safeties, but all in all I think it would be worse. Imagine a 240lb back now being forced to keep his head up high - you just made a much easier target for the defenders, and not just of the head. A back gets more yards and has better balance when they go low. Force him to keep his head up, will require keeping the body mostly up, and easier to tackle.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they can to protect these guys, but there will come a point where the rules will make the game less fun to watch. Football is football, as boxing is boxing. These guys get paid BIG money for their abilities and the risks they take.

Trigg
03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
They used to wear leather helmets, just go back to that. I guarantee they wouldn't use their heads as battering rams anymore. Problem solved.

Hubby and I watched hurling in Ireland. Those guys are out there no helmets and minimal pads, while swinging a stick. I think our guys are wussies after watching those guys play.

jimnyc
03-16-2013, 03:18 PM
They used to wear leather helmets, just go back to that. I guarantee they wouldn't use their heads as battering rams anymore. Problem solved.

Hubby and I watched hurling in Ireland. Those guys are out there no helmets and minimal pads, while swinging a stick. I think our guys are wussies after watching those guys play.

Rugby too! About 70 guys will pile on the guy with the ball, and I don't think they wear any pads. Gotta give those blokes over there some credit, that's some tough guys that play rugby!

Anton Chigurh
03-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Agree about the weapon thing, but they still need to lower their heads as protection. No one should lower it to use as a weapon, or spearing, or to go head to head on purpose. But a RB is taught to lower their heads as a way to minimize the impact to their bodies AND head, believe it or not. It on much more of a swivel standing straight up, and lowering the body and head while running lessens the target and gives more support to their heads. I think in some cases it could help, to avoid those massive head-head collisions we see with the backs and safeties, but all in all I think it would be worse. Imagine a 240lb back now being forced to keep his head up high - you just made a much easier target for the defenders, and not just of the head. A back gets more yards and has better balance when they go low. Force him to keep his head up, will require keeping the body mostly up, and easier to tackle.All of this is true IN TRAFFIC. In space, RBs are taught to keep their eyes up so they can see. NOT keep their body up with it, stay behind your pads, but bow that neck and keep that vision available.

When a RB anticipates contact in space and lowers his head, it's not to protect himself. It's to be a battering ram - but the best backs in history when in space don't do that. They keep their eyes up and try to avoid the collision, perhaps even making a juke that gets the extra yards.

This stupid proposed rule is saying it's still okay for a ball carrier to lead with the crown of his hat in a crowd - like when attacking the line of scrimmage - but in space he is to keep his head up. And that's actually what is taught.

Again, I don't agree with it as a new rule, it's stupid.

Anton Chigurh
03-16-2013, 11:23 PM
They used to wear leather helmets, just go back to that. I guarantee they wouldn't use their heads as battering rams anymore. Problem solved.Actually in my 25+ years of playing tackle football at many levels, the safest way to play was no pads, tackle. Really. Nobody delivers blows to the head and nobody leads with their head, when there's no helmet..

The helmet originally was intended to soften the blow when a head hits the ground, not other players heads. As helmets got better and better, they became weapons, battering rams.