PDA

View Full Version : Turncoat Republican Senator Rob Portman

glockmail
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Republican Senator Rob Portman has announced his support for same-sex marriage, saying he reversed his position on the divisive social issue after his son came out as gay.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/15/17323938-gops-rob-portman-announces-support-for-same-sex-marriage?lite

If his son was a polygamist would he then support polygamy?

Marcus Aurelius
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
If his son was a mass murderer, would he then support that?

Abbey Marie
03-15-2013, 03:35 PM
http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/15/17323938-gops-rob-portman-announces-support-for-same-sex-marriage?lite

If his son was a polygamist would he then support polygamy?

Seems a little too convenient.

Robert A Whit
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Seems a little too convenient.

We need to remind ourselves that marriage laws are part of the duty of states. Who suspects Cheney does not support his daughter? Portman backs his child too.

Now, if the Feds get into this, one expects them to seek full counsel from all states and go with the majority.

We miss the Senators working for states far more than we seem to think.

glockmail
03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
If his son was a mass murderer, would he then support that?Murder is not a valid comparison.

We need to remind ourselves that marriage laws are part of the duty of states. Who suspects Cheney does not support his daughter? Portman backs his child too.

Supporting a child and supporting changing laws are entirely unrelated.

Abbey Marie
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Murder is not a valid comparison.

Good point.

Robert A Whit
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=624387#post624387)

How do you figure?

gabosaurus
03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
At least he is not a Catholic priest. Then he would be molesting your kids! :rolleyes:

aboutime
03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
At least he is not a Catholic priest. Then he would be molesting your kids! :rolleyes:

Gabby. Too bad you can't admit being the product of one of those Priests you hate so much. They say it's hereditary. Will you?

red states rule
03-17-2013, 05:50 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/81_12877420130315112827.jpg

red states rule
03-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Or he could be a liberal and support murdering the child before they are born. One way is to pull most of the baby out of the mom's womb; drill a hole in the cold's head; suck the child's brain out of his/her head; allow the skull to collapse; pull the baby out of the womb and toss the dead body in the trash can

This is an example of "choice" and many libs consider this a US Constitutional right

glockmail
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
How do you figure?Because you can still support your child while remaining true to traditional marriage, duh.

Robert A Whit
03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=624387#post624387)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by glockmail http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=624388#post624388)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit: How do you figure?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by glockmail Because you can still support your child while remaining true to traditional marriage, duh.

I posted all of the exchanges to illustrate how you created a strawman that I do not accept.

You probably still won't catch on, but I had not mentioned changing laws. You did not refute my claims that Cheney supports his daughter.

03-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Murder is not a valid comparison.

No offense, but why is it not a valid comparison? I mean other than the fact that you don't like it.

03-18-2013, 02:33 AM
At least he is not a Catholic priest. Then he would be molesting your kids!

Are you seriously trying to claim that every Catholic Priest is a child molester? One of my best friends is a Catholic Priest. And I can promise you he is one of the best guys I know. He always has been.

And while, Im sure you are joking, you have to realize you are still libeling good people here.

03-18-2013, 02:36 AM
I dont think he is a turncoat. He has to be true to himself.

Regardless, our personal sins don't change what is true. I don't see why the sins of our children would either.

Wickedness never was happiness. It never will be. You can love your children and want them to be happy, but if they are in a state of sin, they need to repent like everyone else or they will never be able to become truly happy.

red states rule
03-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Unconditional love for your child should not equal unconditional support when the child is wrong

glockmail
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I posted all of the exchanges to illustrate how you created a strawman that I do not accept.

You probably still won't catch on, but I had not mentioned changing laws. You did not refute my claims that Cheney supports his daughter.

Dude, I've come to the conclusion that you make no sense.

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Glock, how would you react if one of your children came out and told you he/she were gay/lesbian? Would you disown them?

03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Unconditional love for your child should not equal unconditional support when the child is wrong

I agree. If you love your children, you want what is best for them. Not necessary what they think is best for them.

03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Glock, how would you react if one of your children came out and told you he/she were gay/lesbian? Would you disown them?

Why are the only choices people have disowning their children or encouraging them to sin?

aboutime
03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Who among all of us now reading this would DISOWN one of their children for any reason?

Anyone who has become, or is a father, or mother of a child...even one that becomes a mass murderer, or supervised the killing, or destruction of an entire race of people....knows how LOVE is always stronger than everything else.

The old expression Blood is thicker than Water comes to mind.

So, how would you answer my question above...if you are a parent?

tailfins
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM

That's a good question. I would NOT, but I would expect them to keep their lifestyle out of my sight. I don't think we should refer to Senator Portman as a "turncoat". It just means we need one extra vote to defend traditional marriage.

Robert A Whit
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
That's a good question. I would NOT, but I would expect them to keep their lifestyle out of my sight. I don't think we should refer to Senator Portman as a "turncoat". It just means we need one extra vote to defend traditional marriage.

Marriage is not the affair of the Feds. They should revoke any and all laws remotely hinting they care about marriage. Exemptions for children? Well, who has read all the tests the Feds apply on one using kids as exemptions?

The wife? She is an exemption? This implies or makes the case that the Feds are in the marriage business.

Homosexuals are not in this for more than the money. They see a way to save money and get government favors thus they fight for marriage.

They don't fight for the general principle of marriage since they refuse to back any and all other types of marriages that currently are not allowed by law.

Robert A Whit
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Dude, I've come to the conclusion that you make no sense.

Glock, I am so sorry you don't understand. I have tried though. Some just can't be reached.

You did not like reading all of your quotes and of course are having a bit of a fit.

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Why are the only choices people have disowning their children or encouraging them to sin?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/did-i-fucking-stutter.jpg

cadet
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/did-i-fucking-stutter.jpg

Lies gabby.

Deuteronoy 13 [a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+13&version=NIV#fen-NIV-5274a)]If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere.Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way theLord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you awayfrom the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. -- Lev.20:13 (http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/20.html#13)

tailfins
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Marriage is not the affair of the Feds. They should revoke any and all laws remotely hinting they care about marriage. Exemptions for children? Well, who has read all the tests the Feds apply on one using kids as exemptions?

The wife? She is an exemption? This implies or makes the case that the Feds are in the marriage business.

Homosexuals are not in this for more than the money. They see a way to save money and get government favors thus they fight for marriage.

They don't fight for the general principle of marriage since they refuse to back any and all other types of marriages that currently are not allowed by law.

That may be, but Sen. Portman is still a quantum leap better than any Democrat that might defeat him. I presume he would still vote for a Majority Leader that supports traditional marriage. Play to win.

03-18-2013, 09:36 PM
How do you really think you are making a point by mocking the Savior?

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 09:41 PM

In laughter, often emerges the truth.
In other words, lighten up jack.

tailfins
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Galatians 6:7

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Don't cry when you reap what you've sown.

red states rule
03-19-2013, 03:38 AM

Avatar, with all due respect, where did Gabby mock Obama? He is the only "savior" she knows in her life

red states rule
03-19-2013, 03:39 AM

If your daughter came out and said she was gay, would you consider the event a resume enhancement as a parent? Or start wearing a T shirt that reads "Yippee! My daughter is gay"?

tailfins
03-19-2013, 04:20 AM
If your daughter came out and said she was gay, would you consider the event a resume enhancement as a parent? Or start wearing a T shirt that reads "Yippee! My daughter is gay"?

Just like Cher (Bono?) ?

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2013/news/130225/chaz-bono-600.jpg

http://moonbattery.com/chaz-bono-topless.jpg

glockmail
03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Glock, I am so sorry you don't understand. I have tried though. Some just can't be reached.

You did not like reading all of your quotes and of course are having a bit of a fit.Or, you are dim and make no sense.

glockmail
03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Glock, how would you react if one of your children came out and told you he/she were gay/lesbian? Would you disown them? No. But it's a moot point because I raised my kids right.

You see Gabs my wife and I have never been of the school that says 'children are not clay to be molded, but books to be unfolded' that has become so popular with modern culture. Bullshit. We drew big, fat lines in the direction to success and happiness, demonstrated through our faith, mutual respect and love, and enforced consequences when said lines were crossed. As a result we have two college kids making Dean's and Chancellor's lists, spiritual, tall and straight, strong and athletic, neither with so much as a traffic offense, no tats or piercings, full of common sense and on their ways to successful careers of their choice.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
No. But it's a moot point because I raised my kids right.

You see Gabs my wife and I have never been of the school that says 'children are not clay to be molded, but books to be unfolded' that has become so popular with modern culture. Bullshit. We drew big, fat lines in the direction to success and happiness, demonstrated through our faith, mutual respect and love, and enforced consequences when said lines were crossed. As a result we have two college kids making Dean's and Chancellor's lists, spiritual, tall and straight, strong and athletic, neither with so much as a traffic offense, no tats or piercings, full of common sense and on their ways to successful careers of their choice.

glockmail. Thank you, and congratulations for being such a parent. You just managed to confuse the daylights out of gabby who probably doesn't recognize, or even admit...Such children of such great upbringing, honor, love, and spirit exist.

You and your spouse are the EPITOME of what Parenthood is all about. Great Job.

glockmail
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
glockmail. Thank you, and congratulations for being such a parent. You just managed to confuse the daylights out of gabby who probably doesn't recognize, or even admit...Such children of such great upbringing, honor, love, and spirit exist.

You and your spouse are the EPITOME of what Parenthood is all about. Great Job.

Back in the day a pivotal parenting book was from a guy name Doctor Spock, and my mother read his book and tried some of his suggestions. He was of the "let children find their way" philosophy. My father, and our grandparents would have none of it, and kicked our asses when necessary. I thank God for them every day.

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
We drew big, fat lines in the direction to success and happiness, demonstrated through our faith, mutual respect and love, and enforced consequences when said lines were crossed. As a result we have two college kids making Dean's and Chancellor's lists, spiritual, tall and straight, strong and athletic, neither with so much as a traffic offense, no tats or piercings, full of common sense and on their ways to successful careers of their choice.

My parents did the exact same thing. They got two college graduates who married the man they loved and got jobs they enjoy.
My mom and dad were not religious, but did not discourage such. They taught us the difference between right and wrong and what the consequences were for the latter. Of course, we were girls, so there was requirement to be strong and athletic (my sister did run cross country in high school).

My mom always told me "whatever you want to accomplish in life can be achieved only by hard work. Nothing is given to you."
I credit my mom for allowing me to pursue my own goals. Other girls I went to high school with had no plans other than to get married and have kids (often in reverse order). I wanted to attend the most difficult and challenging university I could get into.

My husband's older sister wanted to get married and have kids. She got married when she was 19 or 20. She now has three kids and feels very happy and accomplished. Her oldest graduates high school this year.
His younger sister wanted to work in Las Vegas. My mother-in-law was dead set against it. Little sister (well, she is 10 years older than my husband) did it anyway and still lives there. She didn't get married until a couple of years ago.

Glock, I have always felt that you were an exceptional parent. I just wonder how you would react if one of the your kids one day came out as being gay. It's something you are born with. It has nothing to do with your upbringing.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
I just wonder how you would react if one of the your kids one day came out as being gay. It's something you are born with. It has nothing to do with your upbringing.

Funny, you get done with your bragging, then make a statement of fact which cannot be proven. Facts can generally be proven. If you can do this, alert the presses, as no doctor, scientist or geneticist has been able to prove this claim yet.

DragonStryk72
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Funny, you get done with your bragging, then make a statement of fact which cannot be proven. Facts can generally be proven. If you can do this, alert the presses, as no doctor, scientist or geneticist has been able to prove this claim yet.

Well, the other option is that, following your theory, all people are born inherently bi-sexual, and learn to be heterosexual or homosexual. In which instance, gay marriage should still be allowed, as neither homosexuality nor heterosexuality are natural to human existence.

Really, though, the whole argument could be solved up if the Dems would stop using the worst arguments possible. The government doesn't need to condone marriage in order to recognize the contract of marriage, which is what should be the focus of the gay marriage debate. Basically, someone needs to step up and be like, "Okay, let's be clear: We are not here about the religious aspects of marriage. It's not our bag, be it hetero or homosexual marriage. We are taking census, and honoring the contracts of consenting adults."

But no, that would be just way to sensible. Instead, we have to have a decades long argument over it that will not get resolved.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Well, the other option is that, following your theory, all people are born inherently bi-sexual, and learn to be heterosexual or homosexual. In which instance, gay marriage should still be allowed, as neither homosexuality nor heterosexuality are natural to human existence.

Really, though, the whole argument could be solved up if the Dems would stop using the worst arguments possible. The government doesn't need to condone marriage in order to recognize the contract of marriage, which is what should be the focus of the gay marriage debate. Basically, someone needs to step up and be like, "Okay, let's be clear: We are not here about the religious aspects of marriage. It's not our bag, be it hetero or homosexual marriage. We are taking census, and honoring the contracts of consenting adults."

But no, that would be just way to sensible. Instead, we have to have a decades long argument over it that will not get resolved.

My comment was much less about everything you wrote and more about something being presented as fact when it is opinion. Even though I have discussed my belief of things being "learned", I have said time and time again that this was my opinion, based on everything I have read and seen in my life. The same would apply to either side, as there would need to be some sort of genes found to prove someone was gay or straight when born.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM

jimnyc: By now. You should be able to recognize how most liberals always bounce back with Hypothetical situations, rather than dealing with realistic, actual people, or events.

Almost like children always ask: "Well, if he can paint on the walls, and refrigerator with a RED Sharpie. Why can't I?"

Reminding me of my father when he always told us "Two wrongs NEVER make anything right!"

glockmail
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Glock, I have always felt that you were an exceptional parent. I just wonder how you would react if one of the your kids one day came out as being gay. It's something you are born with. It has nothing to do with your upbringing.

I know and have known may gay folks, Gabs. It's a lifestyle that they choose.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I know and have known may gay folks, Gabs. It's a lifestyle that they choose.

glock. I learned that my youngest brother, at age 32 was gay. And because he was my brother. I still loved him, and even after his passing several years ago. He had also been using drugs, and diagnosed with AIDS, which destroyed him. But, I never stopped loving MY BROTHER.
Guess some people are so cold, and heartless. The slightest difference in life would make them turn on their own children. Or, at least. That's how gabby's question sounds.

03-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Well here's the problem

1) What you posted wasnt at all funny
2) What you posted wasnt at all reflective of the truth
3) It's never good to mock God. In fact, it's quite bad to do so.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Well here's the problem

1) What you posted wasnt at all funny
2) What you posted wasnt at all reflective of the truth
3) It's never good to mock God. In fact, it's quite bad to do so.

avatar. Just a friendly reminder when talking to gabby. "Ignorance really is...bliss!"

03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
avatar. Just a friendly reminder when talking to gabby. "Ignorance really is...bliss!"

That's my pet peeve. I cant stand wilfull ignorance so I feel compelled to correct and teach. Not always in the best way possible.

glockmail
03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
glock. I learned that my youngest brother, at age 32 was gay. And because he was my brother. I still loved him, and even after his passing several years ago. He had also been using drugs, and diagnosed with AIDS, which destroyed him. But, I never stopped loving MY BROTHER.
Guess some people are so cold, and heartless. The slightest difference in life would make them turn on their own children. Or, at least. That's how gabby's question sounds.

That's terrible man. What could have caused his instability?

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
That's terrible man. What could have caused his instability?

Glock, sometimes I wonder what causes YOUR instability.
With all the hate and derision heaped on homosexuals, why would anyone CHOOSE to be gay or lesbian? Why would choose to be discriminated against?
There are people who have lived a lie for much of their lives. They can't come out as gay or lesbian because they would lose their jobs, the love and respect of their families and any hope of respectability.

There are rigid families (I have encountered them) where nothing but the straight and narrow is tolerated. So the kids grow up properly male or female, play sports, espouse religious values and pretty much do everything that their parents expect.
But once they have moved out and began their own lives, some admit they have been gay along.
It could be anyone's kids. It could be YOUR kids.

03-20-2013, 12:22 AM
With all the hate and derision heaped on homosexuals, why would anyone CHOOSE to be gay or lesbian? Why would choose to be discriminated against?
There are people who have lived a lie for much of their lives. They can't come out as gay or lesbian because they would lose their jobs, the love and respect of their families and any hope of respectability.

There are rigid families (I have encountered them) where nothing but the straight and narrow is tolerated. So the kids grow up properly male or female, play sports, espouse religious values and pretty much do everything that their parents expect.
But once they have moved out and began their own lives, some admit they have been gay along.

People make ridiculous choices everyday.

For example, you choose to be a progressive.

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:39 AM

and being a lib if your daughter told you she was gay the first thing you would do is book and interview for both of you on Dr Phil and share your joy with the world

glockmail
03-20-2013, 07:39 AM
With all the hate ... This is your problem Gabs not mine. You see hate; I see honesty. You are willing to lie to yourself and others for the sake of the latest trend. My way is stable and yours can never be.

03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
This is your problem Gabs not mine. You see hate; I see honesty. You are willing to lie to yourself and others for the sake of the latest trend. My way is stable and yours can never be.

I agree. The truth will set you free. Lies lead to bondage.

cadet
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Personal opinion, most gay cases are of people who are crying for attention. All the girls in college being bi? No, it's a ploy for popularity.

So they hit the teenage rebellious stage a little late. They'll realize their HUGE mistake when they're in their 80's and have no kids or family to take care of them.

aboutime
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
This is your problem Gabs not mine. You see hate; I see honesty. You are willing to lie to yourself and others for the sake of the latest trend. My way is stable and yours can never be.

glockmail. This tactic gabby is using is a ploy. Nothing more. It is her way of attempting to distract attention from her own Unstable life that started, and never ended in the first grade. Using the word stable while speaking to gabby only confuses her more. Wishing she could shake loose all the cobwebs she calls her mind.