PDA

View Full Version : Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case

jimnyc
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I think the sentencing is a bit light myself, but glad they were convicted.

Steubenville, Ohio (CNN) -- Two teenage boys were convicted Sunday in an Ohio rape case that gained worldwide attention because of -- and through -- the use of social media.

In a trial that divided a football-crazed Rust Belt town, Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping an allegedly drunk 16-year-old girl.

The case of the two Steubenville football players attracted the attention of bloggers -- and even the loosely organized hacking group, Anonymous -- who questioned everything from the behavior of the football team to the integrity of the investigation.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days of testimony in the case against Mays and Richmond, who were tried as juveniles.

Mays was also found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor.

The ruling brings an end to a trial that gained media attention for its lurid text messages, cell phone pictures and videos, and social media posts surrounding the sexual abuse of the girl.

The victim was not in the courtroom when the ruling was read, but her mother gave a statement after the judge's ruling.

----

Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility. Richmond was sentenced to a minimum of one year, but like Mays could be in detention until he is 21.

The Department of Youth Services will rule whether the two boys will be detained longer, Lipps said, adding it will depend on their behavior and rehabilitation.

Mays and Richmond will be credited for the time they had served before the trial.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/17/justice/ohio-steubenville-case/index.html

Syrenn
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
the sentence was far to light. I hope the conviction it ruins their lives forever!

WiccanLiberal
03-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Drunk to the point of unable to say no does not imply consent. They deserved more than they got but at least they were convicted.

gabosaurus
03-17-2013, 05:26 PM
I think the sentencing is a bit light myself, but glad they were convicted.

Unfortunately, that is the harshest penalty they could receive as juveniles. But they will always stand convicted in the court of public opinion.

Robert A Whit
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Prior to sentencing, said sentencing rules were crafted. They merely were sentenced as it is written, so it is done.

taft2012
03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, that is the harshest penalty they could receive as juveniles. But they will always stand convicted in the court of public opinion.

... and wherever they move, wherever they try to hide, they will forever be convicted and registered sex offenders, searchable on the www by anyone, anywhere.

taft2012
03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Liberal idiots lamenting the rapists:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”
“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”
At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) in the courtroom.
“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”
Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

fj1200
03-18-2013, 07:31 AM
^I wonder if that's the first time that they experienced actual consequences to their actions.

Abbey Marie
03-18-2013, 07:37 AM
^I wonder if that's the first time that they experienced actual consequences to their actions.

I think you are on to something here.

I also think the people who videotaped the rape need some hefty consequences.

Marcus Aurelius
03-18-2013, 07:40 AM
“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

good.

fj1200
03-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I think you are on to something here.

Probably especially so that they're HS athletes.

good.

Unfortunately he was probably referring to his football prospects rather than any life consequences.

Marcus Aurelius
03-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately he was probably referring to his football prospects rather than any life consequences.

good anyway. Now he can go flip burgers for a living.

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
The two guys would have never been found guilty in Texas. I am guessing they wouldn't even have been put on trial.

Voted4Reagan
03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Now they'll find out what happens to rapists in jail...

jimnyc
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
The two guys would have never been found guilty in Texas. I am guessing they wouldn't even have been put on trial.

What an asinine comment. Does Texas not have laws against rape? If anything, they are HARSHER on criminals in Texas.

jimnyc
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I also wanted to point out, that one of the guilty, Trent Mays, is a young white male. The other thread is in the cage, but initially there was a lot of talk about this case because the perpetrators were black. Well, only one was black, the other white. And the white guy actually got more time sentenced because he took a naked picture of this girl on the ground on top of the rape.

Marcus Aurelius
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM

dumb ass...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/11/29/cleveland_texas_rape_case_defense_attorney_calls_p re_teen_victim_a_spider.html

Sadly, this is what a teenage girl who suffered repeated gang rapes in Cleveland, TX is up against. The victim has now endured two trials (http://www.khou.com/news/Second-Cleveland-rape-case-trial-under-way--181080821.html), with six more accused rapists still on deck...

Regardless of what the jury may think of the moral character of the victim, the reality is that she was only 11 years old, and thus could not legally give consent. The jury returned a guilty verdict (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/11/28/Guilty-verdict-in-Texas-gang-rape/UPI-17871354136434/), as they did for the first defendant. Hopefully, the others who are awaiting trial will see the writing on the wall and plead guilty rather than continue to put the victim through more trauma.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Four_Texas_Teens_Held_In_Rape_Of_High_School_Girl_ 104572334.html?storySection=comments
Four Texas Teens Held In Rape Of High School Girl

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I also wanted to point out, that one of the guilty, Trent Mays, is a young white male. The other thread is in the cage, but initially there was a lot of talk about this case because the perpetrators were black. Well, only one was black, the other white. And the white guy actually got more time sentenced because he took a naked picture of this girl on the ground on top of the rape.

It's a lot more "fun" to point out black people because it enhances the stereotype. Right, Robert?

Robert A Whit
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
It's a lot more "fun" to point out black people because it enhances the stereotype. Right, Robert?

You have a warped sense of what FUN is.

The negro has often lamented that based on percent per 100,000 far more of them are in jail than are whites.

Truth is not your friend Gabby. If you want to be politically correct, though wrong, build the case that per 100,000 more whites are in prison than your favored class.

Just to create a stereotype it takes FACTS to back those up and those FACTS have been provided.