PDA

View Full Version : My mom is causing me problems

gabosaurus
03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
I love my mom, but sometimes she causes me problems. My mom has very strong ideas about certain ideas and is not afraid to share them with my daughter.

When my sister and I were growing up, my mom forbid us to get tattoos. Which she said were only appropriate for "gypsies and prostitutes."
When we were in line at the grocery store tonight, the check out girl had several tattoos. When my daughter asked me if she was a prostitute, I knew immediately where she got that idea from. :rolleyes:

Not as bad as a couple of years ago, though. They were discussing my Australian friend Sharon and my mom said "if she drank anymore, she would be Irish."
Almost immediately followed by my daughter asking an Irish man at church if he drank a lot. Fortunately, he just laughed it off.

cadet
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I love my mom, but sometimes she causes me problems. My mom has very strong ideas about certain ideas and is not afraid to share them with my daughter.

When my sister and I were growing up, my mom forbid us to get tattoos. Which she said were only appropriate for "gypsies and prostitutes."
When we were in line at the grocery store tonight, the check out girl had several tattoos. When my daughter asked me if she was a prostitute, I knew immediately where she got that idea from. :rolleyes:

Not as bad as a couple of years ago, though. They were discussing my Australian friend Sharon and my mom said "if she drank anymore, she would be Irish."
Almost immediately followed by my daughter asking an Irish man at church if he drank a lot. Fortunately, he just laughed it off.

Sounds like no problems at all, sounds like your daughter has a great role model! :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Sounds like no problems at all, sounds like your daughter has a great role model! :laugh:

Perhaps grandma should take an even more active role in order to help her granddaughter....:laugh::laugh:

I like the grandmother already...- :clap:--Tyr

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
You all would love my mom. Well, except for tailfins. My mom, being German, will never hesitate to tell you what is on her mind. And she has very strong opinions.
My mom never had to spank my sister or I. She has the most withering stare you can ever imagine. If you got the stare, you KNEW you were in trouble.
My mom met my dad when they were both arrested at a rally protesting the Viet Nam war at the University of Dallas. According to my dad, my mom was cursing a police officer in German.
Obviously love at first sight. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
You all would love my mom. Well, except for tailfins. My mom, being German, will never hesitate to tell you what is on her mind. And she has very strong opinions.
My mom never had to spank my sister or I. She has the most withering stare you can ever imagine. If you got the stare, you KNEW you were in trouble.
My mom met my dad when they were both arrested at a rally protesting the Viet Nam war at the University of Dallas. According to my dad, my mom was cursing a police officer in German.

She sounds like a woman who knows what she believes.

Where did you meet your husband?

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Sounds like my Mom. My Mom was also German, and even liked to use the accent often, or just speak a bit in German. She got all of that from parents though as she was born and raised in NJ. But same thing, Joanie was NEVER short, or would never mince words. Leave your daughter with her for a few hours and she would have come home with a new vocabulary.

I'm afraid to ask what your Mom thinks of guys with tattoos!

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Where did you meet your husband?

When I was 14, I was a rebellious child influenced by my sister, who was a hellion. I dated a lot of eye candy guys, only to realize that they were nice to look at, but didn't have much upstairs. Thus, they didn't fulfill my nerdy desire to discuss current affairs and higher math.
My husband was a totally nerdy guy who worked part time at an auto parts warehouse. Girls avoided him because he was nerdy and a bit overweight. Guys liked him because he had a good sense of humor and helped them with their homework.
We went to different high schools, so some enterprising guys decided to invite us to the same party and introduce us to each other. I remember we talked for three hours.

My sister never liked to bring guys home because my dad would engage everyone in conversation. My dad is a total liberal and enjoys confrontation. He adored my then-boyfriend right off because they always had good arguments. Sometimes I wondered who my boyfriend came to see, me or my dad. ;)

His mom didn't care for me too much because I totally corrupted her youngest child. Taught him a lot of things that he never knew about before. :cool:
Of course, everything changed when his mom find out that my mom and I are both bipolar. We know had something to bond over.

Seven years or so after we met, the liberal chick and the conservative guy got married. :cheers2:

Marcus Aurelius
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

and she STILL wouldn't let you get one?

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Your Mom does not to get with the times regarding tattoos. They are fairly mainstream these days, and everyone from your doctors, lawyers, athletes, actors, politicians... And I suppose gypsies and prostitutes too!

Little-Acorn
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
My mom is causig me problems

What normal people call humor, liberals fanatics call "problems".

SSDD.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
What gabby failed to mention was, how her mom considered Gabby a problem.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
What gabby failed to mention was, how her mom considered Gabby a problem.

Another rant about Gabby.

Well, if she did not make herself famous, you sure did the trick.

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Your Mom does not to get with the times regarding tattoos. They are fairly mainstream these days, and everyone from your doctors, lawyers, athletes, actors, politicians... And I suppose gypsies and prostitutes too!

"A tattoo looks just as bad on a rich, famous woman as it does on a tramp."

My mom dislikes tattoos on men, but knows it is a way for men to demonstrate how uber-male they are to others.
"Like those service men abroad, they don't have much to do in their off time, so they drink and get tattoos. Sort of like those marks the pilots get for shooting down planes." ;)

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 05:09 PM

My mom dislikes tattoos on men, but knows it is a way for men to demonstrate how uber-male they are to others.
"Like those service men abroad, they don't have much to do in their off time, so they drink and get tattoos. Sort of like those marks the pilots get for shooting down planes." ;)

I can't stand tattoos. But I am for human freedom so if anybody wants to look that way, it is their right. Women with tramp stamps are well aware what they are.

When a woman sports tattoos, one assumes that she is not some squeaky clean church going gal who can be relied on. She puts it out there for a particular type of man to see as a flag to tell him, come get it. I have it honey and you come right over and get it from me. That is her message.

Discovery shows men with tattoos and some of them are part of motorcycle gangs that are violent.

I was around pilots in Germany for several months and can't say they had tattoos.

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Women get tattoos for the same reason they color their hair. It's an attention getting device as well as a misguided statement of individuality.

I don't have anything against tattoos. Just don't want one myself. Nor do I find them to be attractive.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Women get tattoos for the same reason they color their hair. It's an attention getting device as well as a misguided statement of individuality.

I don't have anything against tattoos. Just don't want one myself. Nor do I find them to be attractive.

Too much generalization. Not everyone gets a tattoo with the idea of drawing attention or showing it off. Over the years, I have probably showed more of my tattoos on this site than I do in reality. Very rarely am I in a position to be "showing off" any of my ink. Even if I should go to a bar, I always dress fashionably, which means a decent shirt, which means no tattoos are visible. The idea that it's an "attention getting device" would only apply to some, and far from all. And it's not a misguided statement of individuality to those who get them, but rather to you and others that feel similarly. Only the individual themselves would know whether or not the art they had applied to them gives them a sense of individuality or not. Falling within yours, or societies guidelines, does not make for better individuality.

I don't try and make people like them or respect them - and those people shouldn't try and diagnose those of us with tattoos or pretend to know why we got them.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I can't stand tattoos. But I am for human freedom so if anybody wants to look that way, it is their right. Women with tramp stamps are well aware what they are.

When a woman sports tattoos, one assumes that she is not some squeaky clean church going gal who can be relied on. She puts it out there for a particular type of man to see as a flag to tell him, come get it. I have it honey and you come right over and get it from me. That is her message.

Discovery shows men with tattoos and some of them are part of motorcycle gangs that are violent.

I was around pilots in Germany for several months and can't say they had tattoos.

Wow, that is so far off base. Hell, I knew of quite a few virgins who were tattooed. I know MANY who have tattoos on their breasts or below the panty line, and they will only share with their husbands. To claim that women with tattoos or using it as some sort of flag or signal, is asinine to say the least.

Additionally, to make it sound like the typical guy with a tattoo is anything like a "bike gang" member is equally asinine. Yes, some gang members have tattoos. Some of them have earrings too. Some of them have contacts too.

It would be wiser to judge individuals than mass judge based on a tattoo.

Abbey Marie
03-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Someday we can all get a visible tatooed number. :eek:

aboutime
03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Someday we can all get a visible tatooed number. :eek:

Abbey. Many will either laugh, or simply Ignore your line above. But as the line goes...

"Those who fail to remember History, eventually get to repeat it!"

Six Million human beings who left relatives, and friends behind....aren't laughing.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow, that is so far off base. Hell, I knew of quite a few virgins who were tattooed. I know MANY who have tattoos on their breasts or below the panty line, and they will only share with their husbands. To claim that women with tattoos or using it as some sort of flag or signal, is asinine to say the least.

Additionally, to make it sound like the typical guy with a tattoo is anything like a "bike gang" member is equally asinine. Yes, some gang members have tattoos. Some of them have earrings too. Some of them have contacts too.

It would be wiser to judge individuals than mass judge based on a tattoo.

Are you speaking for women with tramp stamps? That is all I did too. Your comments may prove it to you in your own mind, same as my comments prove it to me in my own mind, but the general idea that virgins sport tattoos seems silly to me. Did you go to said girl and say, hey honey, are you a virgin? She knows she can tell you what she wants you to hear. If you are dumb enough to take her word, she has nothing to lose.

Hey, if you feel damaged by my statement, meet me down at the court and see how far you will get with that wounded sparrow sort of logic.

I would not talk this way to you except you started it. I did not attack you nor call you asinine. I said anybody wanting tattoos can do as they wish and I support free humans. I offered the comment about gangs on TV only to partly fill in a picture.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Are you speaking for women with tramp stamps? That is all I did too. Your comments may prove it to you in your own mind, same as my comments prove it to me in my own mind, but the general idea that virgins sport tattoos seems silly to me. Did you go to said girl and say, hey honey, are you a virgin? She knows she can tell you what she wants you to hear. If you are dumb enough to take her word, she has nothing to lose.

Hey, if you feel damaged by my statement, meet me down at the court and see how far you will get with that wounded sparrow sort of logic.

I would not talk this way to you except you started it. I did not attack you nor call you asinine. I said anybody wanting tattoos can do as they wish and I support free humans. I offered the comment about gangs on TV only to partly fill in a picture.

I didn't call YOU asinine but rather your ignorant comments which don't add up, except for someone who is so well at judging someone based on a tattoo. I suppose that's your right to do so though.

glockmail
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't see what the problem is Gabs, besides the racism of course.

Q. What's the difference between an Irish wake and an Irish wedding?
A. One less drunk.

Q. What's an Irish seven course meal?
A. A six-pack and a potato.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I didn't call YOU asinine but rather your ignorant comments which don't add up, except for someone who is so well at judging someone based on a tattoo. I suppose that's your right to do so though.

You know that does not fly. Even above you drill the hole deeper. My ignorant comments?

Sez you?

Are you the authority over me that I have spent going on 75 years to locate?

You mean the young guy in NY is my authority?

I stated that I don't pass judgement on tattoos and it is my opinion that women with tramp stamps know what that means. I can't know all women with tramp stamps but the name got tagged to them for some sort of reason.

I did not come up with that name.

I don't care who gets tattoos. i expressed that very well. I don't think any person ought to get touchy and attack my posts over my comments either.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm not playing your little games, Robert. I could explain how I have family, a sister, who has a lower back tattoo, and your implication is that she is a slut, or someone that knows what she is doing, or advertising... She didn't even get the tattoo until about 7 years ago, which would have made her about 41 at the time and already the mother of 3. Not everyone fits your stereotypes and generalizations. But I'm not going to continue to argue with you like you are fond of doing in every other thread. Peace out.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
No Jim

I did not claim any of them are sluts. I said THEY know what they are and why they got them.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM

No Jim

I did not claim any of them are sluts. I said THEY know what they are and why they got them.

Then what is "IT" that the guys can come right over and get? What is "her message"?

aboutime
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't see what the problem is Gabs, besides the racism of course.

Q. What's the difference between an Irish wake and an Irish wedding?
A. One less drunk.

Q. What's an Irish seven course meal?
A. A six-pack and a potato.

glockmail. You can also take Jeff Foxworthy kinds of jokes for Rednecks, and turn them into Irish jokes too!

Q. Where do Drunk Irishmen go to meet girls?
A. Family Reunions!

Kathianne
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Abbey. Many will either laugh, or simply Ignore your line above. But as the line goes...

"Those who fail to remember History, eventually get to repeat it!"

Six Million human beings who left relatives, and friends behind....aren't laughing.

Seems Wisconsin is leading the way of doing to 'whites' what was done to 'males':

http://watchdog.org/75390/state-education-program-attacks-white-privilege-in-wisconsin-classrooms/

Wisconsin education program attacks ‘white privilege’ in classrooms By M.D. Kittle (http://watchdog.org/author/mkittle/) / March 18, 2013

By M.D. Kittle | Wisconsin Reporter

MADISON – “(R)acism is caused by white people, by our attitudes, behaviors, practices, and institutions … How do you justify it for yourself?”

That’s the heavy-handed question asked of Wisconsin’s public school teachers, one of many similar assertions found in a conference handout from a controversial state Department of Public Instruction (http://watchdog.org/75390/state-education-program-attacks-white-privilege-in-wisconsin-classrooms/dpi.wi.gov/oea/wkce.html)initiative to combat “white privilege” in the classroom.

The four-year-old CREATE Wisconsin education initiative was ostensibly designed to help public school educators reach disadvantaged students. Now, thanks to an EAG News expose (http://eagnews.org/teacher-training-program-focuses-on-white-privilege-creates-separate-standards-for-minority-students/), CREATE , the acronym for Culturally Responsive Education for All: Training and Enhancement, may be more notorious for its racially charged teaching points, including:

From Examining the Dynamics of Oppression and Privilege, found in a 2009 CREATE conference handout: “In this country the institutional system supports the dominance of white people” and “More frequently than not, white people take advantage of privileges generated by a racist society.”

From Paul Kivel’s 2009 CREATE conference handout, The Costs of Racism to White People: “We are given a false sense of superiority, a belief that we should be in control and in authority, and that people of color should be maids, servants, and gardeners and do the less valued work of our society.” According to his website (http://www.paulkivel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=32), Kivel is a “social justice educator, activist, and writer, has been an innovative leader in violence prevention for more than 35 years.”

In her 2009 CREATE conference presentation, Wisconsin DPI employee Dr. LaVerne Jackson-Harvey (http://www.createwisconsin.net/events/ConferenceHandouts/Tuesday/845am/LJackson.pdf) said, “There appears to be a national trend that can be attributed [to] the conservative agenda that currently exist[s] with former closet racist[s] leaving the closet and entering the light to write policies that support covert and overt racism that impact[s] students of color.”

EAG News, the content website of Education Action Group Foundation (http://eagnews.org/about/), a Michigan-based, conservative advocate for “sensible education reform,” takes aim at the CREATE Wisconsin (http://www.createwisconsin.net/about/) initiative funded through federal taxpayer dollars.

(See the EAG video expose on CREATE Wisconsin here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDTbWkt9ks&feature=player_embedded) and here (http://eagnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/RE-CREATING-Final.jpg).)

The initiative, launched in 2009, “mobilizes educators to reflect on their educational practices,” to assist students from diverse backgrounds in achieving the same academic levels as their peers, according to the CREATE Wisconsin website. (http://www.createwisconsin.net/about/)

CREATE Wisconsin hosts an annual conference and various workshops for Wisconsin educators.

Steve Gunn, author of the EAG expose, said it appears the goal of the initiative “is to build up guilt among white educators.”

“On the flip side of that are the resentments among minorities and minority students… They would have them feel like the entire system is against them. That isn’t going to make any kid feel like he stands much of a chance,” he said.

“There’s nothing wrong with white teachers taking a look at themselves and how they deliver lessons to make sure all kids understand what they’re talking about. But it seems this thing has taken on a far more radical tone,” Gunn added.

EAG also asserts the approach creates separate educational systems, ultimately patronizing minority students.

“It says Wisconsin minority kids aren’t capable of doing well in standard classrooms, and that’s just not true,” Gunn said. “To make it sound that if you don’t bend the curriculum to meet the standards of different cultures or they’re doomed to fail is being untrue to them.”

The view that public schools often fail to teach minority and disadvantaged students by failing to reach them culturally is a widely accepted tenet among the left-center education school of thought.

“Many American schools in general, attempt to deny the minority students of their culture,” notes a blog (https://blogs.commons.georgetown.edu/voke-philofeducation/2012/03/27/keeping-minority-culture-and-students-in-their-place/) written by students enrolled in Philosophy of Education at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. The entry is headlined, “Keeping Minority Culture and Students in their Place (https://blogs.commons.georgetown.edu/voke-philofeducation/2012/03/27/keeping-minority-culture-and-students-in-their-place/).” “This happens because the social institutions reward those for living distinctly traditional American lives and punishes those who deviate from the norm. The American education system, as a social institution, attempts to mimic this reward-and-punish structure by creating a system where education is standardized.”

Supporters say they’re pushing for greater “cultural competency” (http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teaching_now/2011/12/reaching_minority_students_through_cultural_compet ency.html) in the classroom.

DPI spokesman Patrick Gasper defended the program, which is funded through the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act program, commonly known as IDEA.

“The CREATE Wisconsin initiative aims at reducing disproportionality in special education programs, increasing achievement for all students, and closing gaps which are serious issues facing Wisconsin schools,” Gasper wrote in an email to Wisconsin Reporter. He went on to quote from the initiative’s web page.
“CREATE begins with one question: Why? Why don’t students from diverse backgrounds achieve at the same level as their peers?

Yes, the ellipsis is correct, it goes on and on, with links from that point.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=625223#post625223)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=625267#post625267)
No Jim

Then what is "IT" that the guys can come right over and get? What is "her message"?

More to the point, I said A PARTICULAR TYPE OF MAN. See Jim, if you read each word, two or three times, it becomes apparent I was not slamming any of your family.

Your mail box is full since it refused a note from me to you.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=625223#post625223)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=625267#post625267)
No Jim

More to the point, I said A PARTICULAR TYPE OF MAN. See Jim, if you read each word, two or three times, it becomes apparent I was not slamming any of your family.

Therein lies your problem......>>>>>>>>>>> 4717Remember the meaning?

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 07:49 PM

I know you weren't slamming my family. I think you were making ignorant comments directed generally at all of those with tattoos. The same lame generalizing that Gabby did. Each has their own reasons for getting a tattoo, and not one of them should be added to a particular 'group' simply because they got one. Each person gets one for their own reasons. Getting a tattoo shouldn't make me part of a biker gang, or a druggy, or someone who wants attention. And if that does apply to certain people with tattoos, it doesn't mean it should apply to the next. And the same for women, not every woman that gets a tattoo should be viewed as a slut, or someone with attention issues. Times have changed. Here's an article showing how even employers are changing their views - http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/tattoos-no-longer-kiss-death-workplace-163214544.html

And here's your doctor outside of work:

http://i.imgur.com/uF2STGt.jpg

Oh, and my inbox is an intelligent inbox, it scans for intelligence before allowing messages to get through. Better luck next time! :lol: j/k I didn't even know it was full, cleared now though.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Jim

Since you took this personal & in the open, for any slight you believe I sent your way, I apologize. I did not intend to slight any member nor the members family. (tattoo issue)

I had mentioned a rant directed at Gabby and though you do not deal with her attacker in public, you chose to single me out for derision and the tale to take it to the cage.

It would have been wise to have told that man to stop attacking Gabby all day long on the open forum and take his rants to the cage.

When you lashed out at me, it was not setting well on my end.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Jim

Since you took this personal & in the open, for any slight you believe I sent your way, I apologize. I did not intend to slight any member nor the members family. (tattoo issue)

I had mentioned a rant directed at Gabby and though you do not deal with her attacker in public, you chose to single me out for derision and the tale to take it to the cage.

It would have been wise to have told that man to stop attacking Gabby all day long on the open forum and take his rants to the cage.

"Whachu talking about, Willis?" (Different Strokes quote)

Come again, in English this time? What are you ranting about? I made a comment to both of you guys at separate times to stop the bickering. It would be easier to try that instead of bickering about the request to stop the bickering. In this thread I was just happy to clear up your outdated misconceptions about people that have tattoos.

I'm sorry things aren't setting well on your end. Have an Alka Seltzer. Things taste nasty but work well! And lay off the fighting, that can make things not sit so well too. :)

Kathianne
03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
"Whachu talking about, Willis?" (Different Strokes quote)

Come again, in English this time? What are you ranting about? I made a comment to both of you guys at separate times to stop the bickering. It would be easier to try that instead of bickering about the request to stop the bickering. In this thread I was just happy to clear up your outdated misconceptions about people that have tattoos.

I'm sorry things aren't setting well on your end. Have an Alka Seltzer. Things taste nasty but work well! And lay off the fighting, that can make things not sit so well too. :)

Jim, you offended Robert and really should apologize, not suggesting Alka Seltzer. ;)

Hmmm, I'm remember conhog and why he was a problem Never mind.

03-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Doesn't mean they should be mainstream.

logroller
03-19-2013, 10:39 PM

"Gypsies"...is your mom from early 20th century Europe?
You told her that sailors, sluts, bikers, and felons get them too, right? :laugh:

Abbey Marie
03-19-2013, 11:03 PM
http://youtu.be/TOSZwEwl_1Q

This should about cover it

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:10 PM
"Gypsies"...is your mom from early 20th century Europe?

Try middle 20th century Europe. Before WWII, parts of Eastern Europe had trouble with bands of gypsies.

Sorry to see this thread turn into a debate about tattoos. Just because my mom has a strong opinion about them doesn't they are bad.
My mom also refused to allow my sister and I to color our hair (my mom ruined her hair by coloring it too much as a teen). She was also obsessed with calling me "Gabriella" and not any shortened form. Anyone who called me "Gab" or "Gabby" got a curt response of "her name is Gabriella."

As for Robert, sorry dude you are wrong again with your blanket statements.
One of my sister's college friends was a large black woman. She had three large tattoos. One each for her mom, dad and younger sister, all of which died when she was younger. She was a virgin and a straight A student.
And she could have kicked your butt. :laugh:

logroller
03-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Try middle 20th century Europe. Before WWII, parts of Eastern Europe had trouble with bands of gypsies.

Sorry to see this thread turn into a debate about tattoos. Just because my mom has a strong opinion about them doesn't they are bad.
My mom also refused to allow my sister and I to color our hair (my mom ruined her hair by coloring it too much as a teen). She was also obsessed with calling me "Gabriella" and not any shortened form. Anyone who called me "Gab" or "Gabby" got a curt response of "her name is Gabriella."

One of my sister's college friends was a large black woman. She had three large tattoos. One each for her mom, dad and younger sister, all of which died when she was younger. She was a virgin and a straight A student.
I know, i was tryig to avoid any reference to calling your mom a nazi....but middle of the 20th century; as in 1950? Not many made it; their extermination by Nazis was second only to the jews and they were relentlessly pursued. My brother in law is German and has a friend they call gypsy since his grandparents had been. Accent on had been; after most of their band was broken up and sent to camps they settled down and assimilated. He doesn't have any tattoos BTW; so tell your mom she's full of it....and they prefer to be called Roma fwiw. :thumb:

Clearly I posted my response to you before reading the entire thread. What a gas that Robert is. Reminds me of my old neighbor that always referred to black people as coloreds...which was funny because I think he was honestly trying to be politically correct about it. Gotta give credit when somebody's actually trying, even if its an epic fail.

jimnyc
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Doesn't mean they should be mainstream.

Didn't say they SHOULD be, but they are, and people shouldn't be derided or placed into pre-selected groups as a result of their decision.

Robert A Whit
03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Jim, you offended Robert and really should apologize, not suggesting Alka Seltzer. ;)

Hmmm, I'm remember conhog and why he was a problem Never mind.

Well, Jim gave you one more chance to discuss posters. Wonder if he warned you about this?

Kathianne
03-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Well, Jim gave you one more chance to discuss posters. Wonder if he warned you about this?

Gee, where was that? He thanked my post, you ninny.

Robert A Whit
03-20-2013, 05:31 PM

When you start out a thread, simply post your rules for replies.

We will then know your rules.

I am wrong again with my blanket comments?

I really suspect and believe I am correct that you suffer reading problems.

Is one of your rules that I can't offer any opinions? Are my opinions the rules of GOD? I don't present my remarks as iron clad rules.

I am a non tattoo sort of guy but I also stated that I believe so much in human freedom that all humans may doctor their skin, hair, anything they want to and I approve freedom.

I am also free to have biases. As you have biases. I don't deny you your biases. The fact your sister was pals with a negro that had an eating disorder cuts no ice with me. That you believe the grossly fat woman could kick the ass of a man going on 75 only means you look at people older than you with not much if any respect. You even to this day have problems with your own mother. Clearly in your mind it is all her fault. At least this is my opinion.

Why do you take one special case, and try to build up a general argument when you tried to blast me for this?

Oh yeah, to deal with Logroller ...

I don't sing your tune. I don't live your rules. I live by the credo that humans are free and not bound by your rules.

I am not clear why the word negro offends whites.

Matter of fact, I know that Negroes approve the word black and negro is black. Same thing. But as i grew up, I said negro. The presidents said negro. Kennedy said Negro. Martin Luther King said Negro.

It is only one fringe group called democrats that waste their time fretting over the word negro. Colored also was very common and our politicans freely used the word.

I am not a fan of this censor crap on forums.

jimnyc
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Why would I warn her? Nothing she did broke the rules. I get it, you're being a ninny now because you were thread banned from one thread. I had asked you several times to stop the bickering and bring it to the cage. Then you started with that person again and I told you to drop it, which you didn't. You were removed from that thread only. Take an aspirin and move forward with your life, but this won't be a topic being discussed around the board.

KitchenKitten99
03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Jim

And you both pretty much threw me into that same category. Yet...I fit into NONE of them, and you both know it.

Gabby STILL shows her level of stupidity with the bolded statement. FYI Gabby... I got my tattoo at age 26, after having 2 kids and I was still married to my first husband at the time. We didn't split until mid-2009. I added to that one and only tat I have just after my divorce was final for various reasons. But you're obviously too misguided and narrow-minded to care, nor ask, or think maybe there are more reasons for tattoos than YOU claim. But then again you DO live in CA, are a liberal, and have likely never traveled outside your comfortable white-bread life.

I suspect that you believe the same about the groups of Native Americans who believe tattooing is a form of spiritual art. I have a very good friend from culinary school (pics below) who is NA, but also VERY artistic, and does modeling, photography, and has been in music videos. All of hers mean something and have depth, just as mine does. They are fascinating and I see her doing great things artistically down the road.

But rather than asking about them and learning more about that PERSON (aka that 'tolerance and diversity' that you spout off), you write just what you did above. Fucking hypocrite. I feel like calling you worse, but unlike you... I have class and a sense of decency.

Robert A Whit
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Boy did this set off a firestorm.

But to set the record straight, it is the living shits when you see your pet issue get gored.

I thought those who called my church a cult were dick heads. I did not get all pissy though. I think many comments even over politics are dumb. Economics as well.
But i don't fly off the handle in a rage.

I said women with the tramp stamps put it out there. Does anybody think the tramp stamps are for art? Look, if I offended anybody, any of you, I apologize. My intention was to offer my opinion as to why some woman get the tramp stamp. A tramp stamp as I understand it is a sort of unique stamp and she intends it to send off a message.

I may be wrong. But I apologize.

Get over it. A lot of stuff some of you guys says offends the hell out of me too.

I try to not whine about it all damned day.

I always said I respect your right to do to your body what you want done to it. I don't care if one is a tramp or not a tramp.

Noir
03-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Damn, reading throgh this thread its amazing how prejudicial we can still be about something like a tattoo. Srsly guys we have no hope.

tailfins
03-23-2013, 08:21 AM

You judge too quickly. My bottom line for whether I like someone or not is what I think they will do when someone, even an adversary is down on their luck. I tune out stuff I don't want to hear, but it boils down to the person's actions, especially actions in a tense situation. If you were paying attention you would notice that I have worked with communists, atheists, gays, liberals, occupiers and even some feminists. I boils down to whether you're willing/able to advance your beliefs without being malicious. I can live with some ridicule, what I won't accept is sabotage. If someone actively works to make my life more difficult, they are an enemy irrespective if they 100% agree with my beliefs or even attend my church.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-23-2013, 10:07 AM
And you both pretty much threw me into that same category. Yet...I fit into NONE of them, and you both know it.

Gabby STILL shows her level of stupidity with the bolded statement. FYI Gabby... I got my tattoo at age 26, after having 2 kids and I was still married to my first husband at the time. We didn't split until mid-2009. I added to that one and only tat I have just after my divorce was final for various reasons. But you're obviously too misguided and narrow-minded to care, nor ask, or think maybe there are more reasons for tattoos than YOU claim. But then again you DO live in CA, are a liberal, and have likely never traveled outside your comfortable white-bread life.

I suspect that you believe the same about the groups of Native Americans who believe tattooing is a form of spiritual art. I have a very good friend from culinary school (pics below) who is NA, but also VERY artistic, and does modeling, photography, and has been in music videos. All of hers mean something and have depth, just as mine does. They are fascinating and I see her doing great things artistically down the road.

But rather than asking about them and learning more about that PERSON (aka that 'tolerance and diversity' that you spout off), you write just what you did above. Fucking hypocrite. I feel like calling you worse, but unlike you... I have class and a sense of decency.

Tats are not a deal beaker with me and i have none. Two of my brothers have one really good one each. I really only dislike really CRUDE AND POORLY done Tats. My favorite cousin had over a dozen , all done by some extremely talented Tat artist back in the 60's. Mexico where he traveled a lot I believe is where he got all of them. I MEAN THEY WERE ALL DAMN FINE WORKS OF ART IMHO.

And a really fine one on a sexy woman's sexy parts was always appreciated by me.
The bad rap they get is a mistake. And I say that with the opinion that one can go overboard in quantity of Tats IMHO. FULL BODY TATS ARE A DEFINITE TURN OFF FOR ME.. --Tyr

Robert A Whit
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Well gang, I really was speaking of the particular tattoos women and men call tramp stamps. The woman with one can only see it if she looks in a mirror to see her butt.

What makes me sensitive to this is that years ago, I had an older half sister. She was going to the high school that I later attended. She told me that the girls at the high school had signals that some of the boys understood and that the girls told each other what they were.

It involved color of maybe a ribbon or something like that.

All I know is women know how to have signals that the right kind of guy picks up on.

jimnyc
03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
So your ignorance on the topic stems from a half sister, in a school you had not been to yet, signals, certain colors and ribbons? Was there dancing and tulips too? :lol:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
So your ignorance on the topic stems from a half sister, in a school you had not been to yet, signals, certain colors and ribbons? Was there dancing and tulips too? :lol:

Girls were known to give me signals. A few even gave me ribbons for excellent service.

AHHHH, THOSE WERE THE GOOD 'OLE DAYS!!!!--;)--Tyr

Robert A Whit
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM

So, you rule out women using tramp stamps as signals. Nice to learn.

I asked you about other tattoos. Sure will be interesting to see if you are this naive over those too.

jimnyc
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
So, you rule out women using tramp stamps as signals. Nice to learn.

I asked you about other tattoos. Sure will be interesting to see if you are this naive over those too.

That's absolutely correct. I DO NOT consider a woman with a lower back tattoo, to automatically mean she is looking for a sexual encounter.

I have an array of tattoos, all with personal reasons behind them and why I got them stretching over about a 25yr time period. I have a fair amount of tribal art I had drawn specifically for me, one of my dog, one of my favorite football team. One of a frog and a heart. My Mom ADORED frogs for whatever strange reason. Myself and all my siblings all got that exact same tattoo, which we had drawn up just for us, as a way to all have a piece of Mom with us in unity. I have 2 very cool skulls, and one dragon. I have flowers in or around 2 of the tattoos, roses if you must know. The one for my Mom and the one of my Pug are my 2 favorites. I would like to get one more before I croak, and that would be of Porter, my Chihuahua.

I don't show them off but have been known to share pictures before. I wouldn't change anything about them. Oh, they are on my arms, and 2 of them on my chest. A dress shirt covers them completely, as I knew I would have to wear a suit and tie at times, and that there are still a lot of ignorant people in this world.

Robert A Whit
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
That's absolutely correct. I DO NOT consider a woman with a lower back tattoo, to automatically mean she is looking for a sexual encounter.

I have an array of tattoos, all with personal reasons behind them and why I got them stretching over about a 25yr time period. I have a fair amount of tribal art I had drawn specifically for me, one of my dog, one of my favorite football team. One of a frog and a heart. My Mom ADORED frogs for whatever strange reason. Myself and all my siblings all got that exact same tattoo, which we had drawn up just for us, as a way to all have a piece of Mom with us in unity. I have 2 very cool skulls, and one dragon. I have flowers in or around 2 of the tattoos, roses if you must know. The one for my Mom and the one of my Pug are my 2 favorites. I would like to get one more before I croak, and that would be of Porter, my Chihuahua.

I don't show them off but have been known to share pictures before. I wouldn't change anything about them. Oh, they are on my arms, and 2 of them on my chest. A dress shirt covers them completely, as I knew I would have to wear a suit and tie at times, and that there are still a lot of ignorant people in this world.

The tramp stamp ordinarily is pretty distinctive.

If you replied to my other query, forget this one but it entails men with huge tattoos on them fully exposed, of Swastikas and KKK symbols and of course the confederate flag.

Do you admit that they are thought to be in poor taste and why do you not know what a tramp stamp is?

You see a man walking down past your house.

He has all kinds of tattoos. They show violence. They show sex acts. Do you naively think those are not signals?

jimnyc
03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
The tramp stamp ordinarily is pretty distinctive.

If you replied to my other query, forget this one but it entails men with huge tattoos on them fully exposed, of Swastikas and KKK symbols and of course the confederate flag.

Do you admit that they are thought to be in poor taste and why do you not know what a tramp stamp is?

You see a man walking down past your house.

He has all kinds of tattoos. They show violence. They show sex acts. Do you naively think those are not signals?

You're an old fashioned racist and one who has stereotypical opinions of either males or females with tattoos. I said what I wanted to say, and it would be a waste of time for me to get an old dog to understand new tricks. Wallow in your ignorance if you so choose. :coffee:

Robert A Whit
03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
You're an old fashioned racist and one who has stereotypical opinions of either males or females with tattoos. I said what I wanted to say, and it would be a waste of time for me to get an old dog to understand new tricks. Wallow in your ignorance if you so choose. :coffee:

Well, that is what I despise about such ignorant posts. They shoe a man who is angry. A man who himself is prejudiced. A man who can't accept reality. But of course I speak to the post and not the poster to make this clear.

KitchenKitten99
03-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Funny how Gabbo has completely left the conversation in which she started and then morphed into a tattoo argument, then when proven wrong as well as caught being a hypocrite, she hasn't posted since.

gabosaurus
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
My mom objects to tattoos because she was brought up that way. Older people don't change their ways too often.

I don't mind tattoos unless they are excessive. I don't characterize people by their tattoos. I don't believe tattoos send "messages."

My sister was not only friends with negroes, but she LIVED with one. For three years! And all that time, the negro girl never got pregnant, stole from anyone, applied for or accepted welfare or dealt drugs. And she was an honor student to boot.

Of course, now my sister and her husband live around Latinos. In fact, my sister is the only Anglo in the neighborhood. But she is accepted because she speaks Spanish and doesn't rat out the illegals. Of which I am sure there are many.

My brother in law has several tattoos. Most are gang related. My daughter doesn't understand why people "have pictures drawn on their skin." She thinks it is pretty icky.

aboutime
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Funny how Gabbo has completely left the conversation in which she started and then morphed into a tattoo argument, then when proven wrong as well as caught being a hypocrite, she hasn't posted since.

KitchenKitten. Take notice how gabbo morphed into a bigot, and racist...all in the same post that followed your last.
Actually. Gabby has never really taken part in any conversation. It must take her a long time to type each word, which explains why she appears to disappear after throwing her mudballs.

glockmail
03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
My mom objects to tattoos because she was brought up that way. Older people don't change their ways too often.

I don't mind tattoos unless they are excessive. I don't characterize people by their tattoos. I don't believe tattoos send "messages."

My sister was not only friends with negroes, but she LIVED with one. For three years! And all that time, the negro girl never got pregnant, stole from anyone, applied for or accepted welfare or dealt drugs. And she was an honor student to boot.

Of course, now my sister and her husband live around Latinos. In fact, my sister is the only Anglo in the neighborhood. But she is accepted because she speaks Spanish and doesn't rat out the illegals. Of which I am sure there are many.

My brother in law has several tattoos. Most are gang related. My daughter doesn't understand why people "have pictures drawn on their skin." She thinks it is pretty icky.

Both your mom and your daughter are exhibiting a natural preference for human behavior of the way that God intended. No doubt you will work hard on your daughter to change that.

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
My mom never tried to change anything about me. She set down basic rules for behavior and offered guidance when asked.
I am doing the same with my daughter. She is free to develop her own ideas and her own way of thinking. My husband and I are here to facilitate her ambitions within reasonable guidelines.
The great thing about being married is that you have two mothers to ask for advice.

aboutime
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
My mom never tried to change anything about me. She set down basic rules for behavior and offered guidance when asked.
I am doing the same with my daughter. She is free to develop her own ideas and her own way of thinking. My husband and I are here to facilitate her ambitions within reasonable guidelines.
The great thing about being married is that you have two mothers to ask for advice.

So, Gabby. When do you plan on starting to take their advice? Obviously. If...as you said above. Your mom never tried to change anything about you. YOU IGNORED her.

glockmail
03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
"Set basic rules of behavior". That's what my brother's wife did. Their daughter is an admitted communist, still in college of course even though she's well past 30. Getting a PhD in Spanish literature so she'll be in high demand. One son has an arrest record for vandalism painting his political party symbol all around Boston (anarchist). He also has "NO WAR" tattooed crudely across his chest and one time had a body piercing for each of his years. He's now living in a pitiful commune somewhere in TN. :laugh:

aboutime
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
"Set basic rules of behavior". That's what my brother's wife did. Their daughter is an admitted communist, still in college of course even though she's well past 30. Getting a PhD in Spanish literature so she'll be in high demand. One son has an arrest record for vandalism painting his political party symbol all around Boston (anarchist). He also has "NO WAR" tattooed crudely across his chest and one time had a body piercing for each of his years. He's now living in a pitiful commune somewhere in TN. :laugh:

glockmail. Sounds like you just described the epitome of Liberal Family Life for the rest of us. No disrespect Intended...of course!

glockmail
03-26-2013, 08:54 AM
glockmail. Sounds like you just described the epitome of Liberal Family Life for the rest of us. No disrespect Intended...of course!Their third kid, the younger son, never went to college. He chose to work for the fire department instead. Convenient, as it was right next door to mommy and daddy's house. He's actually a decent fellow, but on disability because he hurt his back. Last time I talked with him he was going back to school to get a technical degree, so he could fight fires from a desk.

So two parents, both college educated, one with a doctorate degree, three kids, well past college graduation age, not one of who can support themselves at the level that they grew up.

In contrast I expect my son, in his current path, will obtain his first job making more than his dad does 30 years into his career. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Their third kid, the younger son, never went to college. He chose to work for the fire department instead. Convenient, as it was right next door to mommy and daddy's house. He's actually a decent fellow, but on disability because he hurt his back. Last time I talked with him he was going back to school to get a technical degree, so he could fight fires from a desk.

So two parents, both college educated, one with a doctorate degree, three kids, well past college graduation age, not one of who can support themselves at the level that they grew up.

In contrast I expect my son, in his current path, will obtain his first job making more than his dad does 30 years into his career. :laugh:

Which proves that a good father/mother can make a world of difference in a child's life.
Looks like you did very well and your son is proof of that..:beer:

My daughter's first real job has started her at over a 1000 bucks a week with great benefits. She has never been in any trouble and just bought (by herself) her first home(over 250k) at the young age of 23 . No way could I be more proud of her!!!!! --Tyr

tailfins
03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Robert is NOT an old-fashioned racist. I have met old-fashioned racists. On a scale of 1 to 10, Robert is MAYBE a 4.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Robert is NOT an old-fashioned racist. I have met old-fashioned racists. On a scale of 1 to 10, Robert is MAYBE a 4.

Judge Robert with the same standards that most black men are judged and he doesnt even rate a damn 2....
Strange how blacks get a pass with their racism against whites.
I judge all the same, a white druggie is just as useless piece of shat as a black one.

glockmail
03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Which proves that a good father/mother can make a world of difference in a child's life.
Looks like you did very well and your son is proof of that..:beer:

My daughter's first real job has started her at over a 1000 bucks a week with great benefits. She has never been in any trouble and just bought (by herself) her first home(over 250k) at the young age of 23 . No way could I be more proud of her!!!!! --Tyr

I've always insisted that my kids saw the world for what it really is, not some feel-good exercise. No participation trophies here.

I remember playing kick ball with them in the back yard when they were small. My wife complained that I should let them win once in a while. I said "no way" and would "toe" the ball over the trees.

When they finally got to the point where they could out-run me or best me at any sport it was one of the proudest moment in my life. :laugh:

gabosaurus
03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I rarely (if ever) agree with glock on this forum, but I have never had any disagreements about him as a parent. Primarily because he reflects a lot of the values of my parents.
My mom and dad never believed in the "feel good" way of parenting. If something bad happened at school or out with other kids, we were wrong until we were proven right. Because my mom, in her experience as an elementary school teacher, knew that was usually the case.
That doesn't mean she wouldn't fight like crazy for you if you were right. But she wasn't going to charge up to the school determined that we had been wrong before getting any facts.

My parents believed that once we graduated from high school, we were adults. Which meant we could either go to college and they would continue to support us, or we could get a job and support ourselves. There was no free ride once we were adults.
My parents paid for my sister's first year of college. They paid nothing for me because I had an academic scholarship.
Once you move out, there is no going back. My parents don't believe in that. Once you are adults, you find a way to provide for yourself.

My dad was strict about things as well. He allowed us to choose our own friends and go where we wanted. But if we ever got in trouble (like getting arrested), he wasn't going to bail us out.
He has never had to.

Jeff
03-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Gabby as Jim stated your Mom sounds a lot like mine did , although it may be a bit embarrassing at the time when your little girl asks these question it is funny as can be and down the road will be a good laugh for yall, I have to say your Mom sounds like she would be a lot of fun to be around . A friend of mines Mom told my wife ( after she colored her hair ) that in her day only CERTAIN types of woman would do such a thing LOL , so your Mom isn't alone in her thoughts and honestly I love to pick at my wife and tell her even Ms. Bonnie says you are a so and so LOL

Jeff
03-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Robert my wife got her first Tattoo after we where married , nope not a tramp stamp ( although she has it narrowed down to a couple different designs to place on her lower back ) but the first was on her chest and here is a news flash when she goes to Sunday school and then to service no one thinks any the less of her, she has been a squeaky clean church going woman since late in her teenage years , she can quote out of the bible and knows what she is saying , we have taught our children to bless there food at every meal ( even in school where they were told they couldn't , yup I handled that one, and to get young boys to take the time to do so in school isn't as easy as it once was ) we have taught them how to live there lives as best they can the way the bible says. Robert I think you are generalizing a bit to much here , times have changed and Tattoo's are not just for street people anymore .

As for the motorcycle gangs well ya got me there I ride with a Gang that is threw out the world it is called C.M.A. Christian Motorcycle Associacion and yes I just spent two weeks with my Dad in Florida listening to how I should be in the circus because of all my Tattoos LOL

I respect your opinion on Tattoos but look around they have become socially acceptable to most now a days and a Tat on a Woman's lower back can be a beautiful piece of art to look at , sexy , or yes even trashy it all depends on who she is and why she wanted it but by no means do all woman that have them get them for one reason

Abbey Marie
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Great post, Jeff. I think you explained a lot, while being nice about it. :cool: