PDA

View Full Version : Pew Study: MSNBC is a Left-Wing Opinion-Mill, Fox News Far More Balanced in Reportage

Turks
03-19-2013, 07:18 AM
It is common wisdom that Fox News is a right-leaning outlet and MSNBC is a left-leaning outfit. But what isn’t acknowledged is that Fox is far more interested in reporting than MSNBC.
Such is the finding of a Pew study, which found that CNN is more reportage-driven than either (although Fox is far more comparable than MSNBC). The NBC affiliate is in left-wing outer space, providing 85% opinion and 15% reportage. Fox is certainly right-leaning for the most part, but tends more to covers its bases on the reporting scene: it scored 55% reporting to 45% opinion.
Not all opinion on Fox News is right-wing, either. Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, and Shepherd Smith (at times) can be described as left-leaning. Meanwhile, MSNBC has… Joe Scarborough. He has his audience, but he is not exactly a right-winger.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/03/42392-pew-study-msnbc-is-an-opinion-mill-fox-news-much-more-balanced/

Marcus Aurelius
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Cue the libtards to claim PEW is biased towards the right.

Turks
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Already got a comment similar to that from someone over at another board. She started by attacking the source of the story, IJ then went on to bash "Fakenew" as she called it. Frankly, the left wouldn't know the truth if it bit them on the ass.

You can always tell when a lib is on the retreat when they start with the name calling and vitriol. Been on boards for 12 years and the pattern has sustained itself over that period. As a bear cornered lashes out, so too does a liberal/progressive when irrefutable facts are presented.

Marcus Aurelius
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Already got a comment similar to that from someone over at another board. She started by attacking the source of the story, IJ then went on to bash "Fakenew" as she called it. Frankly, the left wouldn't know the truth if it bit them on the ass.

You can always tell when a lib is on the retreat when they start with the name calling and vitriol. Been on boards for 12 years and the pattern has sustained itself over that period. As a bear cornered lashes out, so too does a liberal/progressive when irrefutable facts are presented.

Tru dat.

And welcome.

Abbey Marie
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
And my husband's Fortune 100 company decided to broadcast MSNDNC in all the hallways of its skyscraper. :mad:

Marcus Aurelius
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
And my husband's Fortune 100 company decided to broadcast MSNDNC in all the hallways of its skyscraper. :mad:

He should sue them for trying to brainwash him.

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM

I never trust the mainstream conservative media. :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
He should sue them for trying to brainwash him.

Lol, he had to help set it up.

Resistance is futile. ;)

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
The solution is to not watch either of them. Left wing garbage is a same as right wing garbage.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM

That's another FUNNY gabby.
You don't even trust yourself. You first must READ and COMPARE the media before learning WHO to trust.
Otherwise. You might begin to make some sense here...SOMEDAY.

logroller
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't just trust any source for the sake of its viewership or bias one way or another. Every source has a reason why they report what they do, let alone how its reported. It's the diversity of many sources (mainstream/ heterodox and right/center/left) that is required to get the most out of news. If you don't, then you're only looking for confirmation of your bias. There's a saying, if you give somebody a hammer, they'll find that everything needs a good pounding.

gabosaurus
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
It's the diversity of many sources (mainstream/ heterodox and right/center/left) that is required to get the most out of news. If you don't, then you're only looking for confirmation of your bias. There's a saying, if you give somebody a hammer, they'll find that everything needs a good pounding.

Logroller, this is an exceptional analysis of the situation. With 24/7 news coverage and hourly deadlines now, there is little thought given to what is thrown on the news channels now. MSNBC caters to the left, Fox caters to the right and the rest are sort of in the middle.

If you want to watch truly balanced news coverage, go to PBS news hour. They will talk with Boehner and Reid on the same program. A guest criticizing the Obama administration will be followed by a guest criticizing the Republican leadership.
The hosts present the facts and allow the guests to debate the subjects.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Logroller, this is an exceptional analysis of the situation. With 24/7 news coverage and hourly deadlines now, there is little thought given to what is thrown on the news channels now. MSNBC caters to the left, Fox caters to the right and the rest are sort of in the middle.

If you want to watch truly balanced news coverage, go to PBS news hour. They will talk with Boehner and Reid on the same program. A guest criticizing the Obama administration will be followed by a guest criticizing the Republican leadership.

When McNeil Lehrer were the face of the program, it was that way. I used to enjoy seing both sides on PBS. But no more. Take Shields for instance. Hard core left winger. Take David Brooks, he is still pro Obama. He obviously supported the man.

FOX gives balanced talking shows. But the FOX news is pure news. ABC, NBC and CBS are spin machines for Obama. I know by watching all of them.

When you put up Reid and Boehner you will get both FACTS and Opinion by both men. So that is not all that helpful.

MSNBC is a blatant liar program. No doubt at all.

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:02 AM

When I walk by a TV Set at work and DNCTV is on I reach up and change the channel to Fox News

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:06 AM

Eh Gabby, PBS is very liberal and Fox News does not "cater" to the right. PBS's version of a "conservative" is David Brooks who wrote Obama would be a great President due to the crease in had in his pants. As I have posted before, Fox News has more libs on giving their opinions then CNN and DCNTV have R's on combined. You would think given the reason you are happy about PBS you would be a loyal viewer of Fox News

03-20-2013, 03:14 AM
I never trust the mainstream conservative media.

Not difficult since there is none.

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Not difficult since there is none.

If someone does not show their loyal support for Obama like Chris Matthews does here - happy Sandy hit the US and helped Obama - then they are conservative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxEJVSL_Xc

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Here is one reason why Gabby love PBS News Hour (part of which is paid for by your tax dollars BTW) Here we have the "objective" journalists and the "moderator" talking about how the Republican party needs to change their policies.

<iframe width="520" height="293" title="MRC TV video player" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/120483" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

aboutime
03-20-2013, 04:08 PM
If someone does not show their loyal support for Obama like Chris Matthews does here - happy Sandy hit the US and helped Obama - then they are conservative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxEJVSL_Xc