PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons ban won't be in Dems' gun bill

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
She couldn't even get her own team on her side.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has decided that a proposed assault weapons ban won't be part of a gun control bill the Senate plans to debate next month, the sponsor of the ban said Tuesday, a decision that means the ban stands little chance of survival.

Instead, Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she will be able to offer her ban on the military-style firearms as an amendment. Feinstein is all but certain to need 60 votes from the 100-member Senate to prevail, but she faces solid Republican opposition and likely defections from some moderate Democrats.

"I very much regret it," Feinstein, D-Calif., told reporters of Reid's decision. "I tried my best."

Feinstein, an author of the 1994 assault weapons ban that expired after a decade, said that Reid, D-Nev., told her of the decision on Monday.

There are 53 Democrats in the Senate, plus two independents who usually vote with them.

An assault-type weapon was used in the December massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., that revived gun control as a top issue in Washington. Banning those firearms was among the proposals President Barack Obama made in January in response to those slayings.

The assault weapons ban was the most controversial of the major proposals to restrict guns that have been advanced by Obama and Senate Democrats. Because of that, it had been expected that the assault weapons measure would be left out of the initial package the Senate considers, with Democrats hoping the Senate could therefore amass the strongest possible vote for the overall legislation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GUN_CONTROL_CONGRESS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-03-19-13-51-09

Little-Acorn
03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Assault weapons ban won't be in Dems' gun bill

Yet.

jimnyc
03-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Yet.

Yeah, I know they'll try an end around, but this is still good news. I just don't think they'll find enough support. Those supporting such a bill, in many areas, might find themselves unemployed the next election cycle.

Robert A Whit
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Guns are not the problem.

People who want to shoot others are the problem.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Realistically. I suspect Feinstein's husband probably had something to do with this.

After all. People who are familiar with the Democrat Senator from California know....She, and her husband probably stand to lose some big bucks down the road if she manages to get such a bill passed.
Call it Cutting off DIANE'S NOSE to spite her BANK ACCOUNT.

Little-Acorn
03-19-2013, 06:02 PM
You have to wonder.

If Feinstein got this bill passed, and it resulted in knocking her out of office...

...would it be worth it?

But there I go, trading liberty for a little temporary safety. Some other dunderheaded leftist shill would just step in in her place and carry on.

aboutime
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
You have to wonder.

If Feinstein got this bill passed, and it resulted in knocking her out of office...

...would it be worth it?

But there I go, trading liberty for a little temporary safety. Some other dunderheaded leftist shill would just step in in her place and carry on.

Little-Acorn. Right you are about another 'dunderheaded leftist'. But then. If you consider how the American people have been trained to always vote for FAMILIAR NAMES, rather than knowing who they are voting for. NO....It wouldn't be worth it.

red states rule
03-20-2013, 03:00 AM
and watching the reaction to the anti gun nuts on the left is fun to watch.

<iframe width="500" height="281" title="MRC TV video player" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/120490" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

red states rule
03-21-2013, 03:24 AM
and we have this reaction from that objective journalist at DNCTV Andréa Mitchell keeping her opinions to herself as she comments on the Dems failing to pass the assulat weapon bill
<iframe width="520" height="293" title="MRC TV video player" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/120507" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

aboutime
03-21-2013, 09:32 PM
and watching the reaction to the anti gun nuts on the left is fun to watch.

<iframe width="500" height="281" title="MRC TV video player" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/120490" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

My reaction to this gun nut is. Thank you. I had a very good day. The Micheal Moore I left behind flushed perfectly into the city's sewerage disposal system. Liberals would also call that "Being Green".

red states rule
03-22-2013, 03:40 AM
It is clear Dems do not trust the people which is why the fight to keep the 2nd Amendment is so important. It is clear Dems and Obama are still bitterly clinging to ther assault weapons ban

red states rule
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Anyone surprised the liberal media is playing down Obama's defeat at the hands of his own party?

ABC continued ignoring (http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2013/03/20/networks-compared-obamas-gun-fight-beating-nazis-blandly-cover-senat) Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's move on Tuesday to drop a proposed federal ban on so-called assault weapons. Neither Wednesday's World News nor Thursday's Good Morning America covered the congressional development. This lack of coverage stands out in light of the network's hype of President Obama's supposedly "dramatic and emotional (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2013/02/13/george-stephanopoulos-touts-obamas-dramatic-emotional-speech-chided-)" lobbying effort for the ban during his State of the Union address.

NBC and CBS's Wednesday evening newscasts also ignored Senator Reid's deep-sixing of the gun control legislation. Their morning shows on Thursday devoted news briefs to Vice President Joe Biden and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's "renewed call" for the assault weapons ban, but failed to explicitly mention the Nevada Democrat's role in dropping the bill.

http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/2012/2013-03-21-CBS-CTM-ODonnell.jpgAnchor Norah O'Donnell spotlighted how "in New York, the push for gun control is still on" during her brief during the 7 am Eastern hour of Thursday's CBS This Morning. O'Donnell continued that "Biden and Mayor Michael Bloomberg are meeting today with the families of [the] Newtown shootings", and merely noted that "the meeting comes after Senate leaders scrapped a ban on assault weapons this week."

Of course, the Democrats in the Senate have the majority in the Senate, but the CBS on-air personality didn't mention this detail. An on-screen graphic trumpeted the "Gun Control Battle: Biden, Bloomberg Continue Push For Reform" during O'Donnell's brief.

Exactly two hours later, news anchor Natalie Morales reported on the Vice President's "renewed call for gun control" on Thursday's Today. She then followed in the CBS anchor's example in omitting Senator Reid's part in throwing out the bill: "On Wednesday, Biden said the White House is still pushing for Congress to pass a ban on the so-called assault weapons even though the Senate has dropped the measure from its gun control package."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2013/03/21/abc-continues-blackout-obamas-gun-control-setback-cbs-nbc-minimize-co#ixzz2OJoBBVBl

logroller
03-22-2013, 05:21 AM
You have to wonder.

...would it be worth it?

As California already has an assault weapons ban, I'm guessing a federal ban would have little effect on her constituents' votes.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-22-2013, 05:38 AM

Yet.

Right. They have backed off because they want to win the House in the 2014 elections. Then obama will once again control the House and Senate last two years of his second term like he did the first two years of his first term.

I am betting should that happen he and the dems go so radical with legislation as to force a revolt. And I believe even that forcing is in his planned agenda!

The guy is a damn worthless ffing traitor!!!!! He seeks nothing good for this nation..... NOTHING............................