PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to fish?

Mr. P
01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I know some like it some don’t like to fish. I’m curious why or why not?

For me fishing is much more than just tossing a line out there and waiting, that is boring but can be a pleasant experience. There is much more to it than that. But…

For me fishing is not 100% about catching fish. I catch and release, I don’t care to eat fish that much anyway. So why fish if all I do is let em go?

Well for me, fishing is more about connecting with nature; catching fish is just a bonus.
On rare days if I don’t catch fish, I still go home with a catch of the outdoors, peace and tranquility. Even a bad day of fishing is a good day. Spend a few hours on a mountain trout stream and you’ll see what I mean.

The only problem I have with fishing is; I don’t get to go often enough.

MtnBiker
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I really like to fish. Fly fishing is a great sport, both wet fly or dry fly fishing. It has been a few years but I use to tie my own flies as well. Quite enjoyable to go out spend time with nature. And I'm like you Mr P, catch and release, most of the time. Once in a great while I will keep one.

5stringJeff
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
No. It's not my idea of fun.

jackass
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I fish as much as I can. I actually moved from Va. to Sc. to be closer to the beach so that I could fish more often. I agree with Mr. P. 100%. Catching is a bonus. Just love to be out on the water, hearing the waves crash. Its great.

Doniston
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I know some like it some don’t like to fish. I’m curious why or why not?

For me fishing is much more than just tossing a line out there and waiting, that is boring but can be a pleasant experience. There is much more to it than that. But…

For me fishing is not 100% about catching fish. I catch and release, I don’t care to eat fish that much anyway. So why fish if all I do is let em go?

Well for me, fishing is more about connecting with nature; catching fish is just a bonus.
On rare days if I don’t catch fish, I still go home with a catch of the outdoors, peace and tranquility. Even a bad day of fishing is a good day. Spend a few hours on a mountain trout stream and you’ll see what I mean.

The only problem I have with fishing is; I don’t get to go often enough. My old favorite may now be passe' Katrina happened, and I haven't been there since

but my favorites were Gulfport harbor, and Biloxi Bay. I aought many many kinds there. Bass, a stingray , flounders, crabs, ribbon fish, lemmon fish , atlantic spade, etc. Even an eel.

Dilloduck
03-06-2007, 07:10 PM
My old favorite may now be passe' Katrina happened, and I haven't been there since

but my favorites were Gulfport harbor, and Biloxi Bay. I aought many many kinds there. Bass, a stingray , flounders, crabs, ribbon fish, lemmon fish , atlantic spade, etc. Even an eel.

I love it. I've fished my whole life and plan on fishing til I can't hold a pole. (Even then I would watch some one else do it.) Depending on the situation it can be fun, meditation, comaraderie, expectation, surprise, competition.

It's like holding a string that connects you with a mysterious world. You can do it with others or alone. It can be done the middle of the ocean or the middle of a metropolis.

Results can be measured in a myriad of ways. The size or quantity of the catch or the quality of time you've spent with a partner--not saying a word but communicating with each other through the magic of a mediatation that can at any time be shattered by a plunging bobber or a buddy laughing as your minnow bucket floats away down the river.

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
My old favorite may now be passe' Katrina happened, and I haven't been there since

I hate it when I catch one of them..way too much like a damned snake!

glockmail
03-06-2007, 07:29 PM
In the ocean on aboat I end up feeding them with puke- no fun.
On a lake or a stream its good as long as I don't use bait, then I might catch one and have to deal with that.

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
In the ocean on aboat I end up feeding them with puke- no fun.
On a lake or a stream its good as long as I don't use bait, then I might catch one and have to deal with that.

:laugh2: If I stand on a dock near the ocean I get ill..so boats at sea are out for me.

LiberalNation
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't like to fish because it's hit or miss. You can stay out all day and never catch a thing which is really boring. Plus you have to be outside and along the Ohio River there's always a bunch of biting bungs and it may be hot and you’re right in the sun.

CSM
03-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm with Dillo on this one. I particularly like bein on my boat, catching stripers.

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
One thing I really want to do is go shrimpin with a cast net. Someday I will, I hope.

shattered
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't like to fish because it's hit or miss. You can stay out all day and never catch a thing which is really boring. Plus you have to be outside and along the Ohio River there's always a bunch of biting bungs and it may be hot and you’re right in the sun.

So, you basically like instant gratification with no effort.

Figures.

Merlin
03-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Dilloduck, may I use your words? You summed it up perfectly for me also.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
So, you basically like instant gratification with no effort.

Figures.
Wow you sure read a lot into whether or not someone likes fishing.

Even catching the fish isn't much gratification. Fishing is just plain boring.

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Dilloduck, may I use your words? You summed it up perfectly for me also.

feel free ! I got a little carried away but I think some people are born with a 'fisherman mentality' and some aren't. It's all good.

glockmail
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
One thing I really want to do is go shrimpin with a cast net. Someday I will, I hope. Life is like a box o' chocholates....

Nienna
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't like fishing, although it is fun to pull one in. But I hate putting the bait on, I feel so sorry for the hooked fishies (or turtles! My daughter caught a turtle once!) However, it is fun to spend a day with the family, away from the boob tube or video games. I love being out in nature. So, I don't like fishing, but I like fishing... if that makes any sense... :D

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't like fishing, although it is fun to pull one in. But I hate putting the bait on, I feel so sorry for the hooked fishies (or turtles! My daughter caught a turtle once!) However, it is fun to spend a day with the family, away from the boob tube or video games. I love being out in nature. So, I don't like fishing, but I like fishing... if that makes any sense... :D

Makes all the sense in the world. My father had a friend who I would go fishing with in Pearl Harbor. He never even baited his hook but we all had a great time laughing and telling stories.

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Life is like a box o' chocholates....

:2up:

jackass
03-07-2007, 12:22 PM

That why they dont call it catching!!! :poke:

jackass
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
One thing I really want to do is go shrimpin with a cast net. Someday I will, I hope.

Damn Mr. P..I live near Charleston now...did it for the first time this past summer. I was pretty wild. Feel free to come on down and join me. Hopefully by the summer I will have my own boat!

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Damn Mr. P..I live near Charleston now...did it for the first time this past summer. I was pretty wild. Feel free to come on down and join me. Hopefully by the summer I will have my own boat!

I may take you up on that. When is the shrimp season?

Doniston
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't like fishing, although it is fun to pull one in. But I hate putting the bait on, I feel so sorry for the hooked fishies (or turtles! My daughter caught a turtle once!) However, it is fun to spend a day with the family, away from the boob tube or video games. I love being out in nature. So, I don't like fishing, but I like fishing... if that makes any sense... :D What you want to do is leave your line in the water with no bait on the hook, Then you can just say a fish stole your bait. HEH HEH

Doniston
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Makes all the sense in the world. My father had a friend who I would go fishing with in Pearl Harbor. He never even baited his hook but we all had a great time laughing and telling stories. In 1944, my cousin was laying in a dinghy at pearl harbor, and woke up to a huge shaddow under him. It was a manta-ray about 16 feet accross.

Nienna
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
What you want to do is leave your line in the water with no bait on the hook, Then you can just say a fish stole your bait. HEH HEH

Sneaky! ;)

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
In 1944, my cousin was laying in a dinghy at pearl harbor, and woke up to a huge shaddow under him. It was a manta-ray about 16 feet accross.

All I ever caught there was hammerhead sharks.

jackass
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
All I ever caught there was hammerhead sharks.

:eek: Nice!!

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 04:02 PM
:eek: Nice!!

I guarantee ya I would never swim there----boats dumping trash attracted them.

jackass
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I may take you up on that. When is the shrimp season?

Looks like September! Being from up north..blew my mind that I can just go to the creek, throw a net and catch shrimp! I still dont know why ANYONE would buy it!!

CSM
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM

LOL...let me know when and where! I'm waaaay up in New England but what the heck!

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Looks like September! Being from up north..blew my mind that I can just go to the creek, throw a net and catch shrimp! I still dont know why ANYONE would buy it!!

Just banging around the DNR site I see you can bait shrimp or not bait. I’ve never heard of baiting shrimp.

The non-resident license to bait in Sept.is $500! I can buy a lot of shrimp for $500 bucks.:lol:
On the other hand ‘without bait would only cost me $35. And the season looks like it starts in May.
I'm not clear on limit May-Dec on a boat though.

Taking Shrimp Without Bait
Permits/Licenses: None for personal use Limits/Seasons:
• 48 quarts whole or 29 quarts headed shrimp per boat, or per person per day if no boat is used or among seining parties. May 1 - Dec. 15.
• 12 dozen dead or live shrimp per boat Dec. 16 through April 30

Shrimp Baiting
Permits/Licenses: Shrimp Baiting License
and pole marker tags required. A license is not required for residents assisting license holders. Licenses available after June 12, 2006 .
Seasons: 60-day period set by SCDNR beginning at 12:00 noon on the last Friday on or before Sept. 15.

jackass
03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
The 500 buck sis for people who are baiting...which is putting up to 10? pvc poles in the water with some "bait". (flour, cornmeal and mud I think). The shrimp congregate there and you throw your net in. You get whole net fuls that way. Most people who do that sell their catches.

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
LOL...let me know when and where! I'm waaaay up in New England but what the heck!

Now if you come down to Charleston, yer gonna want to move South ya know?

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Now if you come down to Charleston, yer gonna want to move South ya know?

Make sure you check him out good first and then teach him the secret handshake ! :laugh2:

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Make sure you check him out good first and then teach him the secret handshake ! :laugh2:

You teach him, You need to get yer ass over here too! :slap:

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
You teach him, You need to get yer ass over here too! :slap:

I really would love to. I hope it doesn't take a hurricane to get me there tho !!

glockmail
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
LOL...let me know when and where! I'm waaaay up in New England but what the heck! Better off giggin' lobstah then.

CSM
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Better off giggin' lobstah then.

Oh yeah...gotta luv dem lobstahs!

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Oh yeah...gotta luv dem lobstahs!

Waters too cold to get in though.

CSM
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Waters too cold to get in though.

Naw, you just smear yerself up with seal blubber and yer good ta go.

glockmail
03-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Naw, you just smear yerself up with seal blubber and yer good ta go. Aye, matie. When men were men!

"Throw yer rubbas ovahboard/ there's nobody here but men, men, men..." :laugh2:

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Naw, you just smear yerself up with seal blubber and yer good ta go.

Bet ya, a women won't come near ya after, even for a lobster meal. :laugh2:

glockmail
03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Bet ya, a women won't come near ya after, even for a lobster meal. :laugh2: Mr. P., there are times when men don't want women around. And giggin' lobstah is one of those times.

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Mr. P., there are times when men don't want women around. And giggin' lobstah is one of those times.

Oh I don't know, in the warm water of S. Fla it's nice to see them butts swimin out front of you while hunting the bug. :cheers2:

CockySOB
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I do most of my fishing on local farm ponds or public-access lakes/state parks. Fishing from a boat is OK, but I really dig hitting the docks at first light with a cigar and a thermos of hot coffee. Doesn't really matter if I catch anything or not, there's just something immensely calming about the dawn on the lake. Spiritual, in fact. Of an early afternoon, I'll trudge around the banks in boots, jeans and a long-sleeved heavy shirt finding the "impossible" spots that most of the "amateurs" either miss or refuse to work themselves toward - lunker central!

The one thing I absolutely hate though is catching a couple of keepers and not having enough total catch to make it worthwhile to clean 'em. I refuse to clean a small catch and freeze it, I absolutely refuse!

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I do most of my fishing on local farm ponds or public-access lakes/state parks. Fishing from a boat is OK, but I really dig hitting the docks at first light with a cigar and a thermos of hot coffee. Doesn't really matter if I catch anything or not, there's just something immensely calming about the dawn on the lake. Spiritual, in fact. Of an early afternoon, I'll trudge around the banks in boots, jeans and a long-sleeved heavy shirt finding the "impossible" spots that most of the "amateurs" either miss or refuse to work themselves toward - lunker central!

The one thing I absolutely hate though is catching a couple of keepers and not having enough total catch to make it worthwhile to clean 'em. I refuse to clean a small catch and freeze it, I absolutely refuse!

:2up: Yer one of 'us'!

CockySOB
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Another thing I dig about the docks on weekends is the fact that families bring their kids down to fish. Now most vacationers can't tell scrub brush from a planted crib, but us regulars do! If I see the kids having a rough time of it, I'll usually make a comment to the parent that the kids should "cast over [there]" or "set the bobber depth to [whatever]" and whatnot.

Best I did last year was a two-fer. Mom had her son and daughter down at the docks using earthworms (not even nightcrawlers) and bobbers set about 4 inches deep." They weren't catching a thing except the occasional bluegill or sunfish. I pulled the mom aside and rigged her with a cheap little grub spinner and told her to cast straight off the dock to the center of the water, and gave her a cadence to count while reeling in. First cast, she landed a 12 inch largemouth bass. Fourth cast, a 10 incher. LOL! Her son could never get the cadence right, but he tried for a while before going back to the worm and bobbber. Her daughter however, showed us all up. Hock and bobber, and I'd told her to cast to the south end of the dock (deeper channel under the docks), and she landed a 24 inch, 6+ pound largemouth! Watching a kid light up like that after crapping their pants when the rod bends over on em... :) It's a trip.

Reminds me, I need to give the lady a call sometime. She got divorced a couple years back, and the reason I didn't hit her up then was because of a rule I have about rebounders.... Hmmm.... maybe a different kind of fishing trip is in order now? :)

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Another thing I dig about the docks on weekends is the fact that families bring their kids down to fish. Now most vacationers can't tell scrub brush from a planted crib, but us regulars do! If I see the kids having a rough time of it, I'll usually make a comment to the parent that the kids should "cast over [there]" or "set the bobber depth to [whatever]" and whatnot.

Best I did last year was a two-fer. Mom had her son and daughter down at the docks using earthworms (not even nightcrawlers) and bobbers set about 4 inches deep." They weren't catching a thing except the occasional bluegill or sunfish. I pulled the mom aside and rigged her with a cheap little grub spinner and told her to cast straight off the dock to the center of the water, and gave her a cadence to count while reeling in. First cast, she landed a 12 inch largemouth bass. Fourth cast, a 10 incher. LOL! Her son could never get the cadence right, but he tried for a while before going back to the worm and bobbber. Her daughter however, showed us all up. Hock and bobber, and I'd told her to cast to the south end of the dock (deeper channel under the docks), and she landed a 24 inch, 6+ pound largemouth! Watching a kid light up like that after crapping their pants when the rod bends over on em... :) It's a trip.

Reminds me, I need to give the lady a call sometime. She got divorced a couple years back, and the reason I didn't hit her up then was because of a rule I have about rebounders.... Hmmm.... maybe a different kind of fishing trip is in order now? :)

You had a great day!:clap:

glockmail
03-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Oh I don't know, in the warm water of S. Fla it's nice to see them butts swimin out front of you while hunting the bug. :cheers2: The corollary, of course, is that most of the time we want women around. :salute:

Mr. P
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
The corollary, of course, is that most of the time we want women around. :salute:

Yeah, excluding women for a man only lobster/shrimp blast would be like a frat party. I think we’re all past those days. Besides someone has to cook and clean-up!

*going to hide now*

glockmail
03-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, excluding women for a man only lobster/shrimp blast would be like a frat party. I think we’re all past those days. Besides someone has to cook and clean-up!

*going to hide now*

I still enjoy time with my buds, either playing poker, skiing like a mad man, smoking cigars, or backpacking in the wilderness. Very few women like to do these things. Although when you find one that does, its a hell of a good time! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/yay2.gif

Mr. P
03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I still enjoy time with my buds, either playing poker, skiing like a mad man, smoking cigars, or backpacking in the wilderness. Very few women like to do these things. Although when you find one that does, its a hell of a good time! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/yay2.gif

I agree.

TheStripey1
04-14-2007, 12:09 AM
and the last time that happened was when?

:cheers2:

loosecannon
04-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Hmmmm I grew up fishing large mouth and small mouth, crappie and sunfish in the south east.

I worked in AK as a commercial fishermen for several seasons and no longer consider fresh water critters fish, or fishing with a line fishing.

Nets, crab pots and 1000 times the catch/hour changed my thinking.

I can take you to places in AK where you can legally catch enough meat for 10 families for a year in two hours with a dingy and a few hundred dollars or gear.

But unfortunately it is only sockeye salmon!!!! The best food in the ocean! Other than perhaps King crab.

We used to catch 100 lbs of halibut while waiting for our turn to cast nets.

When we had shrimp pots shrimp was easily obtained just by dropping a trap over board for a night.

But sea otters would steal the catch occasionally.

Tanner crab, Snow crabs, Dungeoness and Kings were just as easy.

I grew up eating catfish from dirty freshwater lakes. Never again.

but there were very few wimmen in the remote waters of AK. There were some, but not many.