PDA

View Full Version : Best Global Warming Quote I've read

darin
05-31-2007, 10:00 AM
From the Head Cheese at NASA:

"To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change. I guess I would ask which human beings — where and when — are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take.""

Read more:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3229696&page=1

-Cp
05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Dude.. that's a sweet find - you know all the mouth-breathing libs will have no reponse to this, however, as it makes too much sense... and common sense is like Kryptonite to Libs...

darin
05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Dude.. that's a sweet find - you know all the mouth-breathing libs will have no reponse to this, however, as it makes too much sense... and common sense is like Kryptonite to Libs...

Some of NASA's OWN are freaking out about it - as if their BUDGETS are at stake if we learn the truth ;)

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Too bad that quote you so love has such deeply flawed logic. :(

manu1959
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM

please enlighten us ....

darin
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM

...because YOU are smarter than the head of NASA....riiiiiiiiiight....I get the BIGGEST kick out of nobodies on a message board thinking they are smarter than Generals, Presidents, and Scientists with whom they don't agree.

manu1959
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
...because YOU are smarter than the head of NASA....riiiiiiiiiight....I get the BIGGEST kick out of nobodies on a message board thinking they are smarter than Generals, Presidents, and Scientists with whom they don't agree.

if they agree with them then they are smart...if they disagree then they are dumb.....

think these folks give or take orders?

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Some of the stupidest people I ever met have Ph.D.'s, buddy. :slap:

manu1959
05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Some of the stupidest people I ever met have Ph.D.'s, buddy. :slap:

dollar says the phds you have met know stupidest is not a word....

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
dollar says the phds you have met know stupidest is not a word....

You owe me $1:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/stupid

-Cp
05-31-2007, 02:49 PM
You owe me $1:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/stupid

Not according to Webster:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupidest

Main Entry: 1stu·pid
Pronunciation: 'stü-p&d, 'styü-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupEre to be numb, be astonished -- more at TYPE
1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : TORPID <still stupid from the sedative>
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : SENSELESS <a stupid decision>
4 a : lacking interest or point <a stupid event> b : VEXATIOUS, EXASPERATING <the stupid car won't start>
- stu·pid·ly adverb
- stu·pid·ness noun
synonyms STUPID, DULL, DENSE, CRASS, DUMB mean lacking in power to absorb ideas or impressions. STUPID implies a slow-witted or dazed state of mind that may be either congenital or temporary <stupid students just keeping the seats warm> <stupid with drink>. DULL suggests a slow or sluggish mind such as results from disease, depression, or shock <monotonous work that leaves the mind dull>. DENSE implies a thickheaded imperviousness to ideas <too dense to take a hint>. CRASS suggests a grossness of mind precluding discrimination or delicacy <a crass, materialistic people>. DUMB applies to an exasperating obtuseness or lack of comprehension <too dumb to figure out what's going on>.

darin
05-31-2007, 02:57 PM
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
stu·pid (stōō'pĭd, styōō'-) Pronunciation Key
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

Doniston
05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
I just have to ask this: What about this ussue do you think, would cause Lbs to have a different take than Cons?

Do you honestly believe that ever topic is dvided pro and con along political lines?

Doniston
05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Some of the stupidest people I ever met have Ph.D.'s, buddy. :slap: I fully agree, because they have left the real word and have sought refuge in the field of philisophy (with all its landmines and hense the NAME, "Dr of philosophy.")

Doniston
05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
dollar says the phds you have met know stupidest is not a word.... simply proof that what we said about Ph-ds is accurate.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source stu·pid (stōō'pĭd, styōō'-) Pronunciation Key
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

Nukeman
05-31-2007, 04:54 PM

Back on topic, could you please tell us why this is flawed logic???

I for one am very curious I feel he makes a very valid point. Why is the present temp. and environment the "perfect" one for humans and other animals.

Our temp and weather patterns have flucuated throughout recorded history and there have been major upswings as well as temp drops.

So why is this the ideal and how is the logic flawed.....

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Back on topic, could you please tell us why this is flawed logic???

I for one am very curious I feel he makes a very valid point. Why is the present temp. and environment the "perfect" one for humans and other animals.

Our temp and weather patterns have flucuated throughout recorded history and there have been major upswings as well as temp drops.

So why is this the ideal and how is the logic flawed.....

Certainly: the NASA director has introduced the fallacy of the extreme, in saying
To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had

and unfortunately a few people here (yourself included) have failed to catch it.

This statement is false, because that "to assume that [global warming] is a problem" is ONLY to assume that a warmer climate is worse than the one we now have. For all we know, a COLDER climate could be the optimal one; thus, the fallacy.

As to the question of whether the current climate is indeed ideal, I will freely admit that I don't know.

darin
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Certainly: the NASA director has introduced the fallacy of the extreme, in saying

and unfortunately a few people here (yourself included) have failed to catch it.

This statement is false, because that "to assume that [global warming] is a problem" is ONLY to assume that a warmer climate is worse than the one we now have. For all we know, a COLDER climate could be the optimal one; thus, the fallacy.

As to the question of whether the current climate is indeed ideal, I will freely admit that I don't know.

You're making the director's point, and you don't even know it.

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 05:43 PM
You're making the director's point, and you don't even know it.

I have to ask what you think his point is. :poke:

darin
05-31-2007, 05:48 PM

His point is this: It's stoopid to assume we should fight and oppress and whatever to keep the current climate we have, when the 'ideal' climate for the world may be different.

typomaniac
05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
His point is this: It's stoopid to assume we should fight and oppress and whatever to keep the current climate we have, when the 'ideal' climate for the world may be different.

Unless you think a warmer climate is necessarily better than the one we have, that makes absolutely no sense.

BTW, "stoopid" ain't no word, neither. :D

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 06:18 PM

I could be off, frequently am. However, it seems his point in assuming we can 'know' what is best is hubris. For instance, if like me you basically subscribe to Darwinian type thinking or even big bang theory regarding evolution, are we to lament the passing of the age of dinosaurs? Well some vegans might, but I'm damned glad I'm not competing on the food chain with them.

darin
05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Unless you think a warmer climate is necessarily better than the one we have, that makes absolutely no sense.

BTW, "stoopid" ain't no word, neither. :D

Uh - NO. It's saying "Unless you think the climate we have (hence are trying to 'preserve') is the BEST Climate we SHOULD have, knock off the hype over global warming."

Nukeman
05-31-2007, 07:49 PM

He never stated that a "warmer climate" would be better, he stated it is an assumption to belive that the current weather is the best for all..

I dont disagree that at some level "we" do affect the weather. I think it is a little presumptious to think "we" are the harbingers of the earths demise

The global weather has not been studied long enough to make a valid decision yet. 30 years ago we were going into a small "ice age". This is after we recently came out of one. Do you not thtink it is possible that the earth is still warming from the last Ice Age we were in??

I love the doom sayers!!

1. if it gets cold GLOBAL WARMING
2. if it gets warm GLOBAL WARMING
3. if it rains to much GLOBAL WARMING
4. if it rains to little GLOBAL WARMING
etc...etc....

it must be nice that no matter what it does there is the same excuse for it....

I would also add that a number of scientist that have remained on the sidelines for this debate are now coming forward to dispute the doom and gloom rhetoric. They have put forth evidence about rabid upswings and lows in the past, however our loely politicians ignor this and preach we are all going to die unless we listen to them.

MtnBiker
05-31-2007, 07:56 PM
however our loely politicians ignor this and preach we are all going to die unless we listen to them.

They want us to do more than listen to them.

Nukeman
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
They want us to do more than listen to them.
OOHHHH YAAAAA TAXES!!!!!! to pay for all this cleaning up that they want you and I to do, however they will continue to run a house that uses the electricity and gas of 10 homes and continue to fly on private jets and drive in large motorcades so they can look important while at the same time telling all of us how BAD we are for using gas and wasting electricity.

All politicians are hypocrits.......

06-01-2007, 12:22 AM

Didn't think you really had anything. Oh well. You just admitted the guys point. That it's absurd to assume that we know today's climate is the ideal one.

typomaniac
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Didn't think you really had anything. Oh well. You just admitted the guys point. That it's absurd to assume that we know today's climate is the ideal one.Ideal for what purpose? The whole argument is meaningless if you can't establish that.