PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Jeff
03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I finally got DSL at the house here so I figured I would pop in and see how many of the old crew was still here and I am happy to see there are quite a few , I hope all has been well with yall . I see lots of new faces as well and look forward to talking to most of ya as usual i see there are a couple over the top but those folks just make it fun ( kind of like the court jester :laugh: ) OK I will see yall around have a great day :salute:

Abbey Marie
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Hey, welcome back, Jeff. :cool:

jimnyc
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Sup, Jeff!!

For those that don't know, Jeff is my eldest brother. He's been MIA from the board for quite some time.

aboutime
03-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Hey Jeff. Back at ya! Hello.

Robert A Whit
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Sup, Jeff!!

For those that don't know, Jeff is my eldest brother. He's been MIA from the board for quite some time.

I think you mentioned him to us. heh heh heh

Kathianne
03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I finally got DSL at the house here so I figured I would pop in and see how many of the old crew was still here and I am happy to see there are quite a few , I hope all has been well with yall . I see lots of new faces as well and look forward to talking to most of ya as usual i see there are a couple over the top but those folks just make it fun ( kind of like the court jester :laugh: ) OK I will see yall around have a great day :salute:

You've been so missed! Welcome back!

darin
03-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Hey Jeff!

Jeff
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Robert I would love to say don't believe what he had to say but it was probably the truth :laugh2: to everyone else it thank you and it is so great to see faces that have been around for so long

Voted4Reagan
03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
is Jeff as obsessed with BOOBIES as Jimmy?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello Jeff. A Georgia man RIGHT? I loved Atlanta back in the mid 70's. I here it's bigger but no better now..
In fact, much worse. --Tyr

Jeff
03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
is Jeff as obsessed with BOOBIES as Jimmy?

I thought all men ( and some woman) where lol , seriously no Jim is the king there

Jeff
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Hello Jeff. A Georgia man RIGHT? I loved Atlanta back in the mid 70's. I here it's bigger but no better now..
In fact, much worse. --Tyr

Tyr I have lived in GA for about 12 years now and was a over the road driver for 25 years or so and you are exactly right Atlanta has beautiful spots but in my opinion yes it gets worse daily , I came threw there Tuesday on the bike heading back from Florida and out of the 2400 miles I rode in the last few weeks Atlanta was without a doubt the worst , the traffic is terrible and no matter what time of day you go there it is horrible but you definitely don't want to be there during rush hour

Robert A Whit
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Robert I would love to say don't believe what he had to say but it was probably the truth :laugh2: to everyone else it thank you and it is so great to see faces that have been around for so long

I am just teasing.

fj1200
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Tyr I have lived in GA for about 12 years now and was a over the road driver for 25 years or so and you are exactly right Atlanta has beautiful spots but in my opinion yes it gets worse daily , I came threw there Tuesday on the bike heading back from Florida and out of the 2400 miles I rode in the last few weeks Atlanta was without a doubt the worst , the traffic is terrible and no matter what time of day you go there it is horrible but you definitely don't want to be there during rush hour

It's not that bad, you just need to pick your spots. And riding the bike through Atlanta? :slap:

jimnyc
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
It's not that bad, you just need to pick your spots. And riding the bike through Atlanta? :slap:

Only time I passed through Atlanta was while in their airport. I heard some awful stories about the 'circle'? that goes around the city and all the traffic comes together to create hell.

fj1200
03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
There are certainly some awful stories don't get me wrong but rush hour is typically limited to rush hour. I'm not a big fan of riding my bike on the perimeter (that's what we yokels call it) but it's far superior than being on surface streets as far as staying alive. If I'm heading up to the mountains I'll suffer the hour it takes to get to the good roads and also leave early enough to avoid the heavier stuff.

jimnyc
03-21-2013, 12:29 PM
There are certainly some awful stories don't get me wrong but rush hour is typically limited to rush hour. I'm not a big fan of riding my bike on the perimeter (that's what we yokels call it) but it's far superior than being on surface streets as far as staying alive. If I'm heading up to the mountains I'll suffer the hour it takes to get to the good roads and also leave early enough to avoid the heavier stuff.

I assume Atlanta is kinda like NYC? Being a biker in NYC would absolutely suck.

fj1200
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Maybe, I hear the riding is good once you get far enough North. West Point and beyond???

jimnyc
03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Maybe, I hear the riding is good once you get far enough North. West Point and beyond???

I only know mostly all of NJ and North of NYC up a 100 miles or so. But yeah, they say it's mostly all good riding and less congested all the way to Canada. I suppose there are a few smaller cities you wouldn't want to bike in, like Albany.

Drummond
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Welcome, Jeff ... you won't know me, I'm a comparative newbie here .. but, and certainly judging by the avatar, I'm glad to see you here.

I've never been to your part of the world, which isn't surprising, considering where I come from. Still, it so happens that, if I'm going to listen to an American station, my radio station of choice is WSB Radio, which operates out of Atlanta. Haven't used it for a while, admittedly, but it's an especially reliable Internet Radio feed .. consistently high quality sound to it. If I'm going to check it out anytime, I usually aim to listen to Sean Hannity, or possibly Rush Limbaugh.

.. and did I hear a Laura Ingraham broadcast on it once ?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your future posts - cheers !

Robert A Whit
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Los Angeles once had a rush hour. Now it is damned near Rush day. LOL

It has changed in the SF Bay area over the years. I don't drive during Rush hour at all so perhaps I am not as sure as I think I am. Rush hour in the 50s included some massive wrecks and fewer lanes. The lane barriers to separate cars from having head on crashes helped and so has more lanes and more freeways. We have two major freeways to SF from the South Bay and two on the East bay going north. I have ridden in Georgia but never drove there and only rode from Ft. Benning east on the way to the race track in S. Carolina at Darlington. I have driven a lot on I95 from Florida to New Hampshire and drove that road from NY City to West Point. I rather enjoyed that road to West Point.

Jeff
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM

fj when I was on the road and the dispatcher asked me did I want to take a load to Atlanta or NYC I would pick NYC , the problem with Atlanta is once the loop is backed up ( or any of the main arteries going threw down town ) get backed up everything gets backed up, but in all fairness Atlanta is a beautiful city just not a good one to try and drive threw. As for the bike ride normally I would avoid a trip threw Atlanta anyway possible but coming up from Florida there is no good way except hit the super loop and run it to 85 and then head north on out of there .

Jeff
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

fj what do ya ride ? Next time ya want to head to the Mountains let me know I live about 40 miles from Helen and make that ride often ( to often ) I love to head up towards Cherokee I have found some roads up there that are absolutely beautiful

Jeff
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Los Angeles once had a rush hour. Now it is damned near Rush day. LOL

It has changed in the SF Bay area over the years. I don't drive during Rush hour at all so perhaps I am not as sure as I think I am. Rush hour in the 50s included some massive wrecks and fewer lanes. The lane barriers to separate cars from having head on crashes helped and so has more lanes and more freeways. We have two major freeways to SF from the South Bay and two on the East bay going north. I have ridden in Georgia but never drove there and only rode from Ft. Benning east on the way to the race track in S. Carolina at Darlington. I have driven a lot on I95 from Florida to New Hampshire and drove that road from NY City to West Point. I rather enjoyed that road to West Point.

Robert I delivered to the south side of LA one time and have to agree with ya on the traffic LOL I actually lucked out we delivered on Sunday Morning and picked up early Monday and I was lucky enough to be heading out as everyone else was heading in and yes it was a parking lot

fj1200
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
fj when I was on the road and the dispatcher asked me did I want to take a load to Atlanta or NYC I would pick NYC , the problem with Atlanta is once the loop is backed up ( or any of the main arteries going threw down town ) get backed up everything gets backed up, but in all fairness Atlanta is a beautiful city just not a good one to try and drive threw. As for the bike ride normally I would avoid a trip threw Atlanta anyway possible but coming up from Florida there is no good way except hit the super loop and run it to 85 and then head north on out of there .

I know, I'm just saying it's a matter of timing and which way you happen to be going. My wife used to drive 50 miles one way but rarely hit traffic because she was going against the pattern.

I assume you were in Daytona so I probably would have gone 95 to 16 then cut through Milledgeville or something but that's my avoidance of the interstates when possible and good speed could be made. But you're right, sometimes you just have to grin and bear it especially if you're on the superslab anyway. I expect to be in Helen in a couple of weeks and I'll have to deal with the interstate for a bit but such is the reality of living in a big city... but the mountains are beyond. :thumb:

fj1200
03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
fj what do ya ride ? Next time ya want to head to the Mountains let me know I live about 40 miles from Helen and make that ride often ( to often ) I love to head up towards Cherokee I have found some roads up there that are absolutely beautiful

'87 Yamaha FJ1200. I'll be up that way next month if plans hold. Have you been on the Moonshiner 28 and Warwoman Road yet? Bridal Veil Falls? I finally made that trip last August.

Voted4Reagan
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM

My twin lives in Woodstock, GA.

He says it's gotten so bad that its like the Cross Bronx Expressway but with 6 lanes... not 3

Jeff
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
'87 Yamaha FJ1200. I'll be up that way next month if plans hold. Have you been on the Moonshiner 28 and Warwoman Road yet? Bridal Veil Falls? I finally made that trip last August.

Moonshiners I believe so I have never heard of the others, I had a friend of my Dads send me to ( if I remember correctly ) rattle snake road it is just outside of Maggie Valley and it is just like the Dragon except there is no traffic what so ever, the wife and I rode it last year and it was beautiful , on that same trip My dads buddy ( who owns a home up that way ) also took us on a ride that took us 15 miles on a dirt road down to a state park, there where elk and the biggest turkey I have ever seen, a beautiful ride but the dirt road was for lack of better words Shi**y

I also ride a Yamaha I just bought it a month ago a Super Star tour Deluxe 1300, it looks exactly like the Road King, it is the first Yamaha I have owned since a old dirt bike when I was a kid and I have to say I am very happy with it , the ride is so comfortable it has plenty of get up and go and my favorite is real cruise control along with a cigarette lighter LOL, I know most wouldn't consider that a great thing but to me to be able to charge my phone and yes light a smoke without having to pull over and waste time stopping it is a big plus

Let me know when you will be heading up this way maybe we can get together and head to the mountains :beer:

Robert A Whit
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Robert I delivered to the south side of LA one time and have to agree with ya on the traffic LOL I actually lucked out we delivered on Sunday Morning and picked up early Monday and I was lucky enough to be heading out as everyone else was heading in and yes it was a parking lot

You share the occupation that my deceased brother had. He was in my view, quite the outlaw type. The kind of driver that ripped off his employers. I am not pleased to say this but he lost so many jobs. And he was actually a good driver. He drove all over America and thought nothing of the long trips all over. For a while he lived in Russell Ks the home of Bob Dole but when he died, he was not driving truck and was coming to CA from Florida and had stopped for the night in Phoenix. I got a call from him about 9 pm pacific time and it was then I learned he came back from Cocoa Florida and was in Phoenix. About 8 hrs later I got a call from his wife, with him at the motel, and in tears she told me he had a heart attack and died in the room. Anyway, he would at times invite me to ride with him but I did not have that sort of time to ride along. Oh he took me on a short ride inside this town once and that was enough for me. I am not a huge fan of being out on the highway. As to riding bikes, I long ago rode a bike here for about a month. I once took a Harley to Yosemite Valley and almost got killed. I came within a few inches from being part of the grill of an oncoming car. Plain and simple, the Bike was not designed for those roads and I was riding too fast for conditions. I had a Honda to use for a few months once and that was ok. Funny thing though, I bought my oldest daughter at least 4 bikes that she raced in motor cross races from CA to TN. She was very very fast and won a lot of races.

fj1200
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I once took a Harley to Yosemite Valley and almost got killed. I came within a few inches from being part of the grill of an oncoming car. Plain and simple, the Bike was not designed for those roads and I was riding too fast for conditions.

Umm, the bike was not designed?

Robert A Whit
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Umm, the bike was not designed?

This was pre the modern bike. That was around 1957 or 58 and it had the solid frame and no swing arm suspension. It was a truck compared to the BSA I was more used to. I was used to riding the 650 cc BSA made in England. It too had the solid frame. The modern bike is awesome.

fj1200
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Moonshiners I believe so I have never heard of the others...

Warwoman runs between Clayton, GA and Moonshiner 28 and Bridal Veil Falls is on 64/28 just west of Highland, NC. That run, with BVF (ride your bike behind the falls too) and Cullajasa Falls, is not to be missed IMO; just awesome... even in a car.

Robert A Whit
03-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Warwoman runs between Clayton, GA and Moonshiner 28 and Bridal Veil Falls is on 64/28 just west of Highland, NC. That run, with BVF (ride your bike behind the falls too) and Cullajasa Falls, is not to be missed IMO; just awesome... even in a car.

We have a Bridal Veil falls too in Yosemite. It is 617 feet in free fall but the top of the mountains it comes from are over 7,000 feet. The valley floor is about 4,000 feet.

fj1200
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
We have a Bridal Veil falls too in Yosemite.

We take what the Appalachians gives us. :laugh: But can you drive behind yours? :poke:

Robert A Whit
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
We take what the Appalachians gives us. :laugh: But can you drive behind yours? :poke:

Nope. Bridle Veils Falls take some rock climbing just to get up to it.

I have only seen it from spots around Yosemite. Are you speaking of one of the falls at Niagara? I know that area. I enjoyed it a lot.

red states rule
03-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome back and do not be a stranger pal!

Jeff
03-24-2013, 06:08 AM
I know, I'm just saying it's a matter of timing and which way you happen to be going. My wife used to drive 50 miles one way but rarely hit traffic because she was going against the pattern.

I assume you were in Daytona so I probably would have gone 95 to 16 then cut through Milledgeville or something but that's my avoidance of the interstates when possible and good speed could be made. But you're right, sometimes you just have to grin and bear it especially if you're on the superslab anyway. I expect to be in Helen in a couple of weeks and I'll have to deal with the interstate for a bit but such is the reality of living in a big city... but the mountains are beyond. :thumb:

Nope no Daytona this year I went down to spend time and ride with My Dad ( he has a triked Goldwing ) down in Port Charlotte area , and yes I looked into running the back roads down but really I was lucky 75 wasn't bad at all , in fact the entire trip wasn't bad a little traffic on the super loop but even that wasnt bad so I guess you can say I lucked out because like you I usually avoid the interstate as much as possible

AS far as heading to Helen just plan the trip to leave out of Atlanta around 10 and the only bad traffic you will hit will be in Helen LOL, seriously let me know when your heading up that way it sounds like we could make a nice ride up there

Jeff
03-24-2013, 06:13 AM

Yes we hit part of that last summer our club had its state rally in Taccoa GA and they had a ride that went up that way , My Dad had been up to where ya ride behind the falls and the guy that was leading the ride told me that was just up the road, I want to do that ride this year , according to my Dad the falls where great and when he left there they stopped in a little town that was fantastic , so yes I am looking forward to it

tailfins
03-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Bite your tongue. Suburban Atlanta is part of the CIVILIZED South. Having lived there for six years, the three main problems are:

1) Traffic
2) State Income Tax
3) Lately high unemployment

NYC is dirty, gritty, noisy, obscenely expensive and has no place to grow. Atlanta has seeming limitless ability to grow. For example living in Alpharetta and working in Lawrenceville is a pretty good set up. Try getting this in or near NYC:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6840-Fox-Creek-Dr-Cumming-GA-30040/14614827_zpid/

Notice the GreatSchools rating near the bottom.
(http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6840-Fox-Creek-Dr-Cumming-GA-30040/14614827_zpid/)

fj1200
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Nope no Daytona this year I went down to spend time and ride with My Dad ( he has a triked Goldwing ) down in Port Charlotte area , and yes I looked into running the back roads down but really I was lucky 75 wasn't bad at all , in fact the entire trip wasn't bad a little traffic on the super loop but even that wasnt bad so I guess you can say I lucked out because like you I usually avoid the interstate as much as possible

AS far as heading to Helen just plan the trip to leave out of Atlanta around 10 and the only bad traffic you will hit will be in Helen LOL, seriously let me know when your heading up that way it sounds like we could make a nice ride up there

I see what you mean. You're probably much better set up for highway riding than I am. I don't like to go slow on the highway and I just get beat up by the wind too much to be enjoyable... and no radio. :( My friend has a Kawasaki Vulcan, Titanic edition, :eek: that he can just cruise on, much better for that sort of thing.

And Helen? it may be soon so I'll shoot you a PM. And right, my one time in Helen and the traffic was as bad as anything in Atlanta. Damn day-tripping cagers. :laugh:

Yes we hit part of that last summer our club had its state rally in Taccoa GA and they had a ride that went up that way , My Dad had been up to where ya ride behind the falls and the guy that was leading the ride told me that was just up the road, I want to do that ride this year , according to my Dad the falls where great and when he left there they stopped in a little town that was fantastic , so yes I am looking forward to it

I don't remember any fantastic towns, you can clue me in, but I usually plan my routes by zooming in around google maps and find roads that go in the least straight line as possible. I just need to get better on those tight 180's so I guess I'll have to practice eh? ;)