SERVICE NUMBER: RA39294119

BORN: NOVEMBER 11, 1923

HOME OR PLACE OF ENLISTMENT

POCASSET, OK

LOCATION OR BATTLE ZONE: TAEJON

BURIAL LOCATION

GOLDEN GATE NATIONAL CEMETERY

<tbody>
<center>Comments: Sergeant Avants was a member of the 3rd Engineer Combat Battalion 24th Infantry Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy near Taejon, South Korea on July 20, 1950. Born in Oklahoma, enlisted in California.

</center>

</tbody>

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
My uncle gave his life for us in Korea so please pause a moment

SGT EUGENE AVANTS

3RD ENGINEER COMBAT BATTALION

24TH INFANTRY DIVISION

ARMY

HOSTILE, DIED (KIA)

DATE OF LOSS: JULY 20, 1950

SERVICE NUMBER: RA39294119

BORN: NOVEMBER 11, 1923

HOME OR PLACE OF ENLISTMENT

POCASSET, OK

LOCATION OR BATTLE ZONE: TAEJON

BURIAL LOCATION

GOLDEN GATE NATIONAL CEMETERY

<tbody>
<center>Comments: Sergeant Avants was a member of the 3rd Engineer Combat Battalion 24th Infantry Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy near Taejon, South Korea on July 20, 1950. Born in Oklahoma, enlisted in California.

</center>

</tbody>

Sorry, just now saw this..
I salute the man's service and his great sacrifice!--:salute:--Tyr
For me to do less would be dishonorable..

Robert A Whit
03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry, just now saw this..
I salute the man's service and his great sacrifice!--:salute:--Tyr
For me to do less would be dishonorable..

A lot of men died and the graves are not visited. I try to get to the cemetary at times. It is a good hours drive but he is always in my heart. His was the first funeral I went to and I was a teen.

Marcus Aurelius
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.koreanwar.org/html/korean_war_project_remembrance_search_6_2013.html? key=1007
click the above link to honor...
SGT EUGENE AVANTS

My son and I were literally just at the Korean War memorial in DC on Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War_Veterans_Memorial

If' you've not taken the time to go to DC and visit the war memorials, I highly recommend it.

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
My son and I were literally just at the Korean War memorial in DC on Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War_Veterans_Memorial

If' you've not taken the time to go to DC and visit the war memorials, I highly recommend it.

I have seen the Vietnam memorial wall and the Korean War Statues. His grave is an hour from me and that to me is his memorial.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I would also love to see the latest memorial that I think is not far from the Washington Monument. That was not built the last time I visited.

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I took my daughter to the memorials in D.C. and explained why they were built and who they honored.
We have also gone to my paternal grandfather's grave in South Carolina. He served in WWII and was buried with full honors.
My maternal grandfather is buried in a cemetery for World War II soldiers in South Germany.

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I took my daughter to the memorials in D.C. and explained why they were built and who they honored.
We have also gone to my paternal grandfather's grave in South Carolina. He served in WWII and was buried with full honors.
My maternal grandfather is buried in a cemetery for World War II soldiers in South Germany.

The troops did not declare war and they were forced to be in war. No point in trying to not respect all of them. Was he buried by Karlsrhue? I can't tell posters much about that city since I was there but two times. And did not hang around. I think it was there or Kaiserslautern that I took a guy I had picked up in Pirmasens to the train station so he could get back to his base. I suddenly had bad car problems so had to not go back to Pirmasens.

One of the guys that went to the formula one race knew him and asked me to include him to the races close to Stuttgart.