PDA

View Full Version : For Terry, Easy Peasey!

Kathianne
03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
I've got my crock pot slaving away. I just made my own version of pot roast with mushroom soup and onion soup mix. I really try to keep my sodium levels down, so haven't made this in years and years. Got a hankering for it so I decided to look for some alternatives. I really don't know the sodium level, but do know I've cut it dramatically, I'll let you know tonight or tomorrow:

4 lb bottom round roast
flour, salt, pepper for seasoning roast before browning
4 T Olive Oil, divided
1 T Vegetable Oil
new potatoes
baby carrots
celery chopped
mushrooms-sliced
onion-not a lot, just for texture and to add to the ''brown bits' after de-glazing
a bit of minced garlic, a clove or so
2 cans lower sodium cream of mushroom soup
homemade onion soup mix
1 1/4 C liquid
2 T low sodium granulated beef bouillion

Onion Soup Mix:
1/4 C onion flakes
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t dried parsley
1/8 t paprika
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t celery seed

Mix. How hard was that?

Ok, for the crockpot:

Wash and chop the veggies, the carrots and potatoes are left whole. Throw or place the potatoes in bottom of crock pot. In heavy skillet saute the onions, celery, carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes, until just browning. Add minced garlic, cook another minute or so, until fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for another minute. Pour over the potatoes and stir, so some oil and garlic is on the little guys. Add the soups. Stir.

In same pan, add the rest of olive oil and the vegetable oil, heat. Meanwhile, coat the meat with seasoned flour. Brown all sides for a decent crust. Place in crock pot, might have to push down a bit. Pour liquid into pan to de-glaze, then pour over meat. I used about 1/4 C Cabernet Sauvignon and a C water. Put on lid, cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.

Kathianne
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
It was really tasty! The cut of meat didn't have much fat, so took a bit longer to cook, but ended up fork tender. I probably should have included more carrots and potatoes, but am looking at hot beef sandwiches and beef and gravy over noodles in the coming days!

Jeff
07-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I usually hate anything cooked in the Crock pot in fact the wife knows not to use it :rolleyes: but this sounds good I may have to try it , I love pot roast and this sounds like a easy way to cook it and not have to be sitting inside the house on a beautiful summer day , Laura may be surprised one day this week

SassyLady
07-10-2013, 06:59 AM
I love using the crockpot! Takes about 15 minutes to gather ingredients and then I'm off to garden, run errands or read a book. Love the aroma that permeates the house all day (unless it's cornbeef and cabbage)!

Kathianne, I use the Lipton soup and Campbells mushroom soup in a lot of my recipes. Sometimes I add Campbell's cream of celery soup ... takes less time than making homemade soups.

I love making enough to have leftovers for a couple of days ... that way I'm only cooking about twice a week!

Kathianne
07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I love using the crockpot! Takes about 15 minutes to gather ingredients and then I'm off to garden, run errands or read a book. Love the aroma that permeates the house all day (unless it's cornbeef and cabbage)!

Kathianne, I use the Lipton soup and Campbells mushroom soup in a lot of my recipes. Sometimes I add Campbell's cream of celery soup ... takes less time than making homemade soups.

I love making enough to have leftovers for a couple of days ... that way I'm only cooking about twice a week!

Lipton soups make very tasty recipes, couldn't agree more. My reason is strictly to control sodium.

aboutime
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Has either of you used the CROCKPOT to make what my wife calls...FIVE HOUR STEW?

1 lb. Stewing beef
Bag of Mixed veggies, or fresh veggies you choose
1 cup water
1 can of Campbells Tomato soup (lg.)
Half an onion, chopped
COVER
set the Pot on high for 3 hours
turn it down to warm for the last two
add pepper and salt if you like
Makes it's own gravy

Kathianne
07-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Has either of you used the CROCKPOT to make what my wife calls...FIVE HOUR STEW?

1 lb. Stewing beef
Bag of Mixed veggies, or fresh veggies you choose
1 cup water
1 can of Campbells Tomato soup (lg.)
Half an onion, chopped
COVER
set the Pot on high for 3 hours
turn it down to warm for the last two
add pepper and salt if you like
Makes it's own gravy

Not I. I think my kids would have liked that a lot when they were in grammar school, but doesn't have enough 'umph', meaning seasoning/spices for today.

If one really doesn't like 'spice' and went with low sodium tomato soup, it sounds great.

Me? I'm into spices, they take the place of sodium. I'd take this basic recipe and X the tomato soup. Add a can of sodium free chopped tomatoes, a couple T of sodium free tomato paste or puree, some cayenne power, red pepper flakes, cumin, and a dash of honey. I'd up the onion to 1 large and throw in some garlic.

Damn, I'm getting hungry.

Jeff
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Lipton soups make very tasty recipes, couldn't agree more. My reason is strictly to control sodium.

Lipton soup mix ( onion ) in some chop meat makes great burgers on the grill

Does anyone want the recipe :laugh:

Kathianne
07-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Lipton soup mix ( onion ) in some chop meat makes great burgers on the grill

Does anyone want the recipe :laugh:

Low sodium and very good:

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

(the following is my own:)

one seeded jalepeno
1-1 1/2 t minced garlic
Skip the onion powder, but add 1 small diced onion

Mix lightly, but thoroughly. Make into 4 balls. Flatten to about 4 inches, on one side add indent of about a half inch. Grill with that side up. (prevents bulking).

Jeff
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Low sodium and very good:

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

(the following is my own:)

one seeded jalepeno
1-1 1/2 t minced garlic
Skip the onion powder, but add 1 small diced onion

Mix lightly, but thoroughly. Make into 4 balls. Flatten to about 4 inches, on one side add indent of about a half inch. Grill with that side up. (prevents bulking).

Dang am I glad you had the recipe when I saw you had posted here I was afraid you where going to tell me yea you wanted the recipe and then I would have to wake up Laura and she just has no sense of humor at 2 am :laugh:

Kathianne
07-11-2013, 01:30 AM
Dang am I glad you had the recipe when I saw you had posted here I was afraid you where going to tell me yea you wanted the recipe and then I would have to wake up Laura and she just has no sense of humor at 2 am :laugh:

I love Laura, wish she'd post and give some the push they need. Damn, I may be speaking of myself. ;)

aboutime
07-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Not I. I think my kids would have liked that a lot when they were in grammar school, but doesn't have enough 'umph', meaning seasoning/spices for today.

If one really doesn't like 'spice' and went with low sodium tomato soup, it sounds great.

Me? I'm into spices, they take the place of sodium. I'd take this basic recipe and X the tomato soup. Add a can of sodium free chopped tomatoes, a couple T of sodium free tomato paste or puree, some cayenne power, red pepper flakes, cumin, and a dash of honey. I'd up the onion to 1 large and throw in some garlic.

Damn, I'm getting hungry.

Kathianne. That's why they call it a "CROCKPOT". Anything you can gather together to eat, and cook to suit your taste is what everyone wants. All of what you mentioned would be perfect too!
It's merely a START, using five hours to cook, and make the smell invade your home all day.