PDA

View Full Version : Just finished Amish worship

tailfins
03-24-2013, 03:47 PM
They told me to bring an English Bible and ask which verse was being discussed so I would at least know which verse they were on. English is sprinkled into Pennsylvania Deutsch anyway, so I was able to pick up a few words. The worship lasted about three hours. The hymns are sung spending about 45 seconds on each word like a chant. Afterwards there was a lunch with the adult men dining first being dutifully served by the women. :) I was invited back. I feel like a better Christian after having worshiped with the Amish.

03-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Sounds like an interesting experience. Shouldn't the men be serving the women though?

tailfins
03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Sounds like an interesting experience. Shouldn't the men be serving the women though?

It isn't, and why would it be? This is certainly worth learning Pennsylvania Deutch for. I have a knack for languages to begin with. It makes it tempting to even give up electricity; tempted, but not going to. My youngest son is especially quite interested in a good friendship with the Amish. We all plan to come back in July.

cadet
03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
It isn't, and why would it be? This is certainly worth learning Pennsylvania Deutch for. I have a knack for languages to begin with. It makes it tempting to even give up electricity; tempted, but not going to. My youngest son is especially quite interested in a good friendship with the Amish. We all plan to come back in July.

Go Mennonite! Not only are the the same except for the electricity, they came first! And they're like SUPER Christians!

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Interesting thread. Will you be visiting a church that speaks in tongues and handles snakes next?

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting thread. Will you be visiting a church that speaks in tongues and handles snakes next?

Since you are not prejudiced Gabby, hope to see you there.

jimnyc
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Your comparing the Amish to snake handlers is stupid. The majority of Amish folks could teach many of us a great deal of lessons. They are mostly picture perfect of examples of hard workers, and that includes men, women and children. They keep their religion near their hearts and try to live a life that teaches discipline, hard work and what their religion teaches.

darin
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
sounds like it'd be a great cultural experience!

03-25-2013, 12:56 PM

You really don't know what speaking in tongues is, do you?

03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Your comparing the Amish to snake handlers is stupid. The majority of Amish folks could teach many of us a great deal of lessons. They are mostly picture perfect of examples of hard workers, and that includes men, women and children. They keep their religion near their hearts and try to live a life that teaches discipline, hard work and what their religion teaches.

There is no reason the rest of us can't do the same. We should all be working hard. We should all keep our faith close to our hearts and be a disciple in the true meaning of the word. And we should all be doers of the word and not jus hearers only.

03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
sounds like it'd be a great cultural experience!

I completely agree.

Trigg
03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
They told me to bring an English Bible and ask which verse was being discussed so I would at least know which verse they were on. English is sprinkled into Pennsylvania Deutsch anyway, so I was able to pick up a few words. The worship lasted about three hours. The hymns are sung spending about 45 seconds on each word like a chant. Afterwards there was a lunch with the adult men dining first being dutifully served by the women. :) I was invited back. I feel like a better Christian after having worshiped with the Amish.

They're a great example of practicing what you preach. They have quite a large population in rural Indiana and I grew up with them in my school and an Amish school not far away.

Don't be to scared about the electricity. They use anything and everything that can be ran by gas, including pool pumps ;). They have gas powered appliances and many are allowed phones outside their houses. The strictness depends on their pastors.

Noir
03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
What exactly is the deal with the lack of appliances? Is it all based from a religious understanding?

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Not comparing Amish churches to anyone. I am just that, if you are pursuing religious knowledge, you should attend different churches.

darin
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
What exactly is the deal with the lack of appliances?

I know, right? Would make it difficult, or could, for a woman know if she's in the kitchen.

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I know, right? Would make it difficult, or could, for a woman know if she's in the kitchen.

REAL men help out in the kitchen, even if they don't know how to cook.

And if you tried to argue with me about it, I would just tell you to go make me a sandwich. :p

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 03:27 PM

And if you tried to argue with me about it, I would just tell you to go make me a sandwich. :p

That must also mean that real women mow the lawn, change the oil, spark plugs and can change the tire when flat. I see how it works.

aboutime
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
That must also mean that real women mow the lawn, change the oil, spark plugs and can change the tire when flat. I see how it works.

Funny stuff Gabby. REAL WOMEN wouldn't lower themselves to YOUR standards in the first place.

Syrenn
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I tell ya, i have always wanted to spend a summer with an amish family learning their cooking/food history and to learn how to can foods.

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I tell ya, i have always wanted to spend a summer with an amish family learning their cooking/food history and to learn how to can foods.

It is easy. Summer is coming up and you can fly to Philadelphia and rent a car to Lancaster county. When there, you can see where G. Washington crossed the Delaware and go to Hershey to catch the chocolate factory fun center and then to Gettysburg to see how it was during the Civil war.

There at that museum is a huge collection of civil war weapons. Ikes home is very near the battle site too.

tailfins
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM

My wife's side of the family is into the speaking in tongues stuff; I don't believe in it myself. Handling snakes would be an interesting illustration to defeating the serpent. So I guess the snake handling would depend on its purpose.

03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Not comparing Amish churches to anyone. I am just that, if you are pursuing religious knowledge, you should attend different churches.

While I don't discourage people from learning about different faiths (the more we know about each other the more can learn to love one another), if you want religious knowledge you should go to the Lord and learn from Him.

03-25-2013, 10:04 PM

And if you tried to argue with me about it, I would just tell you to go make me a sandwich.

I though real men danced around in tights and a codpiece to provide you with eye candy.

03-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Funny stuff Gabby. REAL WOMEN wouldn't lower themselves to YOUR standards in the first place.

No need to be insulting about it. God created someone for everyone. Heck, even I managed to find someone. She still hasnt figured out how i tricked her:)

03-25-2013, 10:06 PM
It is easy. Summer is coming up and you can fly to Philadelphia and rent a car to Lancaster county. When there, you can see where G. Washington crossed the Delaware and go to Hershey to catch the chocolate factory fun center and then to Gettysburg to see how it was during the Civil war.

There at that museum is a huge collection of civil war weapons. Ikes home is very near the battle site too.

Im going to guess you didn't mean to say that she could see where Washington crossed the Delaware in Lancaster County but in Philly;)

03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
My wife's side of the family is into the speaking in tongues stuff; I don't believe in it myself. Handling snakes would be an interesting illustration to defeating the serpent. So I guess the snake handling would depend on its purpose.

Ah, but your speaking in a tongue right now. We call it English.

That's what the gift of tongues is. It gives you a miraculous ability to understand and speak languages with little training. It's used to help convey the Gospel to those who speak a different language than you.

What it isn't, is someone getting up in a meeting and just speaking random gibberish for no reason. There is a purpose in all of God's gifts. They edify and uplift.

cadet
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
What exactly is the deal with the lack of appliances? Is it all based from a religious understanding?

The idea is that technology pulls apart community and family. Without that hard work and everyone helping, people spread out, stop talking... only talk on facebook...
Which, you know, they're right. I don't even know my neighbors back home.

03-25-2013, 11:30 PM
The idea is that technology pulls apart community and family. Without that hard work and everyone helping, people spread out, stop talking... only talk on facebook...

It's not healthy

Noir
03-26-2013, 03:08 AM

I'd say quite the opposite, the only real difference being that in the past we were stuck with our physical neighbours, whereas now, if two people are connected to the Internet, regardless of where they are they are neighbours.

red states rule
03-26-2013, 03:14 AM

Once again Gabby shows her "tolerance" and open mindlessness

darin
03-26-2013, 03:46 AM

Why would you want to be a sandwich?

tailfins
03-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Why would you want to be a sandwich?

She was giving me a break. The only way I would make her a sandwich would for me to build a robot that makes sandwiches and have the robot actually make the sandwich.

darin
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
She was giving me a break. The only way I would make her a sandwich....

Why would you want her to be a sandwich?

tailfins
03-26-2013, 08:02 AM

It's not that simple. Real practicing Amish won't tolerate anyone or anything that disturbs the environment/culture they built. If you want to mix in, you had better convince them that you have conservative Christian beliefs. Furthermore you had better make a reasonable effort to conduct yourself they way they do.