PDA

View Full Version : Teacher To Be Fired For Abortion Views

red states rule
03-25-2013, 03:30 AM
It is a well known fact liberals are very tolerant until they here or read something they disagree with.

A Benson High School (http://schools.oregonlive.com/school/Portland/Benson-Polytechnic-High-School/)teacher claims Portland Public Schools (http://schools.oregonlive.com/district/Portland/) placed him on paid administrative leave and plans to dismiss him because of his views against Planned Parenthood and abortion.
Bill Diss, who has taught at Benson for 11 years, was placed on leave March 19, pending a recommendation for dismissal from Superintendent Carole Smith.

The longtime Planned Parenthood critic has publicly decried an optional teenage pregnancy prevention initiative, the Teen Outreach Program, (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/12/teenage_pregnancy_prevention_p.html)because of its link to Planned Parenthood. At one point, he tried to stop employees from presenting about the program in his classroom.

"I think, deep down, it's because of my views," Diss said. "And that it's much more important for them to have Planned Parenthood in the schools than to have a really dedicated teacher who really teaches math well and goes the extra mile and does a whole bunch with the kids."

He said the district has suspended him twice this year. He was given notice in March about the district's plan to recommend against his contract's renewal for the 2014-15 school year.

In a letter from the district he provided to The Oregonian, officials say they suspended him in the past for multiple reasons, including "unprofessional, intimidating and/or harassing behavior."

District spokeswoman Erin Hoover Barnett confirmed he was on leave but said she could not discuss specifics about the personnel matter.

"We fully respect all of our employees' rights to hold their own political, religious and social beliefs and affiliations," she said. "We also expect all of our employees to conduct themselves professionally."

Diss, who has retained a lawyer, said he plans to file a grievance with the union.

The district offers students at several high schools the option of joining the Teen Outreach Program, meant to prevent teenage pregnancy, drug use and dropouts.

Planned Parenthood is the local partner of the teen program, funded in the district by a federal Department of Health and Human Services grant.

Diss, a devout Catholic who was a vocal opponent to a Planned Parenthood headquarters that opened in Northeast Portland in 2010 (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/02/planned_parenthood_says_protes.html), opposes the organization for providing abortions and says the nonprofit encourages sexual activity among teenagers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/03/benson_high_teacher_claims_dis.html

taft2012
03-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Diss, who has retained a lawyer, said he plans to file a grievance with the union.

Yeah. They're gonna SPRING right into action. :rolleyes:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Yeah. They're gonna SPRING right into action. :rolleyes:

Not against the liberal sacred cow(abortion) they aren't...
A greedy lawyer will but the teacher's Union will not.--Tyr

PostmodernProphet
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
just out of curiosity why is PP giving a presentation in a math teacher's class anyway?......

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-25-2013, 08:38 AM
just out of curiosity why is PP giving a presentation in a math teacher's class anyway?......

I suspect because 1 + 1 = 2 and in certain cases can eventually equal three or more(twins, triplets ,etc). :laugh:

Because the liberal,leftist, progressive agenda is ALL invasive now that they have their "messiah" pitching for them.

tailfins
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Not against the liberal sacred cow(abortion) they aren't...
A greedy lawyer will but the teacher's Union will not.--Tyr

Why a greedy lawyer? This case is tailor-made for Jay Sekulow's organization.

revelarts
03-25-2013, 10:28 AM

i was wondering the same,
maybe they were just making their way down the halls with quickie - come up and see us sometime- 30sec messages is all i can guess.

I remember some teacher not allowing ANYTHING like that to interrupt class time. other than the announcements.

... public schools are a weird unnatural environment for children and adults,

DragonStryk72
03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
It is a well known fact liberals are very tolerant until they here or read something they disagree with.

Sigh...While I understand schools want teachers to be professional, professional does not mean the same thing as 'back up everything we say, even when you don't'. You cannot reasonably expect someone on this subject to just shut up and take it. Roles reversed, a person in favor of the Teen Outreach Program and Planned Parenthood would keep campaigning for them. This is an area liberals seriously need to work on, because it makes them look like elitist assholes. There's a reason that we keep bringing up the elitism, and its not because it doesn't.

You know what I just realized? He never said he was against abortion. That was just a supposition in the article, but he only mentioned being against Planned Parenthood. Unfortunately, we don't know his specific reasons why.

All in all, it seems like another case of, "Beware the fury of the patient man" kind of things, where the people who talk about bringing people together are the quickest to cast them out.

aboutime
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM

PORTLAND? Kinda speaks for itself if you recognize how Liberal Fantasyland exists like Hollywood, only closer to INTEL and Starbucks where Life is LIBERALLY HAPPY all the time. No tolerance required in OR. Just remember how to be Liberal.

red states rule
03-26-2013, 02:36 AM

They need to to expand their customer base and the left is more then willing to assist in their advertising campaign

red states rule
03-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Sigh...While I understand schools want teachers to be professional, professional does not mean the same thing as 'back up everything we say, even when you don't'. You cannot reasonably expect someone on this subject to just shut up and take it. Roles reversed, a person in favor of the Teen Outreach Program and Planned Parenthood would keep campaigning for them. This is an area liberals seriously need to work on, because it makes them look like elitist assholes. There's a reason that we keep bringing up the elitism, and its not because it doesn't.

You know what I just realized? He never said he was against abortion. That was just a supposition in the article, but he only mentioned being against Planned Parenthood. Unfortunately, we don't know his specific reasons why.

All in all, it seems like another case of, "Beware the fury of the patient man" kind of things, where the people who talk about bringing people together are the quickest to cast them out.

Seems he has a habit of expressing his opinions in his class

In December, Diss was one of the organizers of a large group protesting Planned Parenthood involvement in the Teen Outreach Program at a school board meeting.

“This is a chance to get healed so that filth doesn’t have to be handed to other people,” Diss explained at that time, according to The Oregonian.

District officials have also accused Diss of inappropriately talking about premarital sex, sexual purity, abortion and religion in his math and computer science classes — and in study halls.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/22/portland-high-school-teacher-says-he-is-about-to-get-sacked-for-anti-abortion-views/#ixzz2OgkBw2po

However I wonder if the same punishment would have be handed out if his opinions were more to the left and he was calling the Tea Party a bunch of racists.

But he needs to stick to the subject while in class, and save the other stuff for outside the classroom

Raman
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Op can't read. He's in trouble because

At one point, he tried to stop employees from presenting about the program in his classroom.
He's letting his personal views effect his job and preventing school functions from functioning.

His actions, not his views, got him in hot water

jimnyc
03-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Op can't read. He's in trouble because

He's letting his personal views effect his job and preventing school functions from functioning.

His actions, not his views, got him in hot water

Granted, I think it was his "actions" as well, but what he prevented shouldn't be in our schools to begin with.