PDA

View Full Version : why church?.....

PostmodernProphet
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
haven't played with this question for a while, but it was what sparked the thesis for my Theology Masters years ago....
so lets say you believe in a deity......I will speak of Christianity for ease of discussion, though you could follow the same issue whether it was mosque or temple instead of church....

what happens in a church.....
people sing.....anyone with a shower could sing.....
they pray......anyone with knees can pray....or do it sitting or standing for that matter....
they read scripture.....which we can do on the internet.....
they get an education about God, either from a sermon or study......can get that from the internet too.....

community.....but even this mismatched assortment of folks who visit DP is a community.....

but how does one person, in isolation, serve others.......at the barest minimum you need someone who needs to be served......and though I can talk to you folks any time I want, I can't go out and put a roof on someone's house with you.....I can't go work at a soup kitchen with you.....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
haven't played with this question for a while, but it was what sparked the thesis for my Theology Masters years ago....
so lets say you believe in a deity......I will speak of Christianity for ease of discussion, though you could follow the same issue whether it was mosque or temple instead of church....

they pray......anyone with knees can pray....or do it sitting or standing for that matter....
they get an education about God, either from a sermon or study......can get that from the internet too.....

community.....but even this mismatched assortment of folks who visit DP is a community.....

but how does one person, in isolation, serve others.......at the barest minimum you need someone who needs to be served......and though I can talk to you folks any time I want, I can't go out and put a roof on someone's house with you.....I can't go work at a soup kitchen with you.....

Gather in fellowship to give aid, comfort and spiritual strength to fellow Christians. To hear a Spiritual leader discuss what is required of Christians and present a gathering place for ALL to hear the word of God and know of God's gift of Salvation to mankind by allowing the sacrifice of his own Son, Jesus as payment/atonement for ALL our sins past, present and future.
And to keep the Sabbath day...-Tyr

gabosaurus
03-25-2013, 04:20 PM
You don't need to attend formal religious services in a specific place to receive the message of God.
Anywhere you choose to commune with God is good enough for Him. Since God is omnipotent, He is with us at all times, wherever we are.
Can't speak for others, but I attend church for the fellowship with others who also believe. Reading and sharing His word is very uplifting to me. Our ministers deliver very inspiring messages, and our choir and band get everyone moving with the Holy Spirit.
It works for me.

Robert A Whit
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
You don't need to attend formal religious services in a specific place to receive the message of God.
Anywhere you choose to commune with God is good enough for Him. Since God is omnipotent, He is with us at all times, wherever we are.
Can't speak for others, but I attend church for the fellowship with others who also believe. Reading and sharing His word is very uplifting to me. Our ministers deliver very inspiring messages, and our choir and band get everyone moving with the Holy Spirit.
It works for me.

I would like to see a video of the people up doing a flash dance.

tailfins
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Hebrews 10:25
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

PostmodernProphet
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
being exhorted wasn't on my bucket list.....

Syrenn
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM

you assume that a body must be present to serve.

you can cook food at home that could be served at a soup kitchen. A check would also go a long way in serving people at a soup kitchen.

not everyone is suited to roofing.... so participating is not serving anyone but themselves.

03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

I think your position for service is good.

I also think Church is supposed to serve as a visible body of Christ where God can direct His work. A community that can, when functioning properly, stand as an example to all the world. To be a city on the hill.

03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
you assume that a body must be present to serve.

you can cook food at home that could be served at a soup kitchen. A check would also go a long way in serving people at a soup kitchen.

not everyone is suited to roofing.... so participating is not serving anyone but themselves.

It's to become aware of service opportunities and actually do them in a functioning Church than it is on our own.

When we are united Christ's power is with us stronger.

Syrenn
03-25-2013, 10:25 PM
It's to become aware of service opportunities and actually do them in a functioning Church than it is on our own.

When we are united Christ's power is with us stronger.

most people feel more powerful when in a group.

which is why churches like to have large groups and consolidation of power.

cadet
03-25-2013, 10:45 PM

Church was never meant to be a place where you go on Sunday to worship and that's your Jesus for the week. It was made for brothers and sisters in Christ to get new projects ready to do things to help others or lead others to Christ.
Locking yourself in walls does nothing, we're supposed to be going out and spreading the word. Churches are in a desperate need of reform these days. People need to start putting it into their daily life, and realizing what they learned on Sunday's, are applicable to daily life.
You can do so much more by yourself these days without a church holding you back.

But, it's nice to at least have a bible study group or some small group of the same religion to hang out with and discuss life. Hold each other accountable, praise with each other, and help lift each other up to help do stuff.

PostmodernProphet
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Church was never meant to be a place where you go on Sunday to worship and that's your Jesus for the week.

I can agree....while at Seminary I had to write a proposal for planting a new church.....I drafted a plan for a church that was open six days a week and closed on Sunday......