PDA

View Full Version : Do we recieve blessings from obedience to the commandments?

03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
I think my question is self explanatory. I think we do. Take the famous passage from Malachi concerning Tithing:

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:10)

Jesus said multiple times in the Sermon on the mount that by praying in secret and doing charity in secret, our Father in Heaven will bless us openly.

I am not talking about salvation here. But can I safely assume that as Christians we all generally believe this principle that the Lord will bless us if we obey Him?

cadet
03-25-2013, 10:34 PM
I think my question is self explanatory. I think we do. Take the famous passage from Malachi concerning Tithing:

Jesus said multiple times in the Sermon on the mount that by praying in secret and doing charity in secret, our Father in Heaven will bless us openly.

I am not talking about salvation here. But can I safely assume that as Christians we all generally believe this principle that the Lord will bless us if we obey Him?

He will bless us if we don't look for blessing. It's a blessing just to worship.
Worshiping so you'll get something is screwed up. Don't do things for your personal gain, do things to raise the Lord. You should do good works because you WANT to. Not because of the commandments.

The commandments are more for beginners. (in my opinion) It's to give a general idea of what's right and wrong. But the more time you spend with Him the more you learn to want to do the right thing all the time.
That's the blessing. To get so in touch with God that you want to see others lifted high. To help others see the good in everything, like you do. To WANT, no... NEED to help others see feel and be love. Cause when it comes right down to it, God is love, and He just wants to spread that love to all. Forget the commandments, you know if you're doing the right thing. And only you know if you're doing the right thing selflessly, not to get in higher standing with God. But because you want to do those things to the best of your ability to glorify God.

We say that all the time in church, "To glorify God". And I don't think people pay attention to what that truly means. Not to glorify me, not to glorify you, not to glorify the church and make it look good, not to glorify the community to make it a better place... But to do things for God. Because you are His child, and should want you Father's approval in all that you do.

And when people say "How? What's God's plan for me?" Let me ask you this, if you watch your child grow up, do you want them to do something specifically at every point in their life? Or do you want them to be happy and do the right thing? That's all He really wants, I think, to see us be happy and spread happiness. To just enjoy life righteously with selfless love for everyone.

03-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't think God has a problem if people come to Him because they want something. He knows everyones heart. But I dont think He would tell people there are blessings if He wanted people not to desire them. There is nothing wrong with desiring greater blessings from God.