PDA

View Full Version : A new system of Gov't

cadet
03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Technology has reached a point where we can get any and all information to anywhere at any time. (actually, it's been like this for quite a while)
We have programs that could take a vote of every person in the united states, by signing in with your name, date, and ss number we could essentially set it up that we don't need representatives. Or even any of the current bill passing system.
My vote, set that up and see what the people decide on issues.
Every hour, people vote on a certain issue. (to make it easy)
And due to the ss number, name, and date of birth, you can only vote once on subjects and you have to be a US citizen. And it could easily be arranged so that you must be 18 & over.

Thus turning the country into a true for the people by the people. Where the gov't listens to it's people, and not the other way around.

Hell, I could write this program in an hour. All I've got to do is hook it up to the gov'ts database with all the names numbers and ss.

What do ya'll think?

fj1200
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
That's a bad cadet... bad.

Robert A Whit
03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Technology has reached a point where we can get any and all information to anywhere at any time. (actually, it's been like this for quite a while)
We have programs that could take a vote of every person in the united states, by signing in with your name, date, and ss number we could essentially set it up that we don't need representatives. Or even any of the current bill passing system.
And due to the ss number, name, and date of birth, you can only vote once on subjects and you have to be a US citizen. And it could easily be arranged so that you must be 18 & over.

Thus turning the country into a true for the people by the people. Where the gov't listens to it's people, and not the other way around.

Hell, I could write this program in an hour. All I've got to do is hook it up to the gov'ts database with all the names numbers and ss.

What do ya'll think?

I have mixed feelings given public made tragic mistakes in putting Obama into power.

Voting does not imply that the public is well informed. They vote a lot simply based on biases.

cadet
03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Bad cadet?
You think I should add a test of what the issue is about before allowing said person to vote for it?

I think only people who care about the idea would spend the time voting for it. The people who don't really care would probably not do anything. Takes too much time to take a test over something they don't understand.
Better?

Nukeman
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Bad cadet?
You think I should add a test of what the issue is about before allowing said person to vote for it?

I think only people who care about the idea would spend the time voting for it. The people who don't really care would probably not do anything. Takes too much time to take a test over something they don't understand.
Better?The problem with this type of set up is very simple. You either have MOB rule or so much apathy that the wrong people vote and it gets passed due to poor attention to the details... Now on some things I think it is right but others... well lets just say the American people as a collective are DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!

aboutime
03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
The problem with this type of set up is very simple. You either have MOB rule or so much apathy that the wrong people vote and it gets passed due to poor attention to the details... Now on some things I think it is right but others... well lets just say the American people as a collective are DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!

And, we can't forget "THE BRIBE". Mob rule can come from a candidate like Obama, investing Billions into convincing Unknown, Countless people to vote for him.

You know? Just as we have seen over the last TWO Presidential election cycles.

Money talks, and the easily-led Follow the Money wherever it takes them, and...AT ANY PRICE.

03-27-2013, 03:23 PM

What do ya'll think?

Potential Problems:

1) To easy to hack and manipulate
2) Identity theft
3) Low information voters.

cadet
03-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Alright, it's got a few flaws.
But still, it'd be nice to take away a bunch of the power from the Gov't and give it to the people instead.

And with this, you could almost get rid of the house of representatives, and just about throw out the need for a president.

aboutime
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
But still, it'd be nice to take away a bunch of the power from the Gov't and give it to the people instead.

And with this, you could almost get rid of the house of representatives, and just about throw out the need for a president.

Tell us cadet. What would you have as a result of getting rid of Congress, and a President?

Who would you suggest...might be In Charge?

cadet
03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Tell us cadet. What would you have as a result of getting rid of Congress, and a President?

The people... With maybe a representative from each state to keep things flowing in case of shit happening.
In fact, if we go back to the states holding most of the power... And become the UNITED STATES, instead of the UNITED GOV'T that we are today...

The more power that is delegated to the states instead of the Gov't, the more people have a choice of what kind of governmental influence they want. And when people start moving to the states with the best gov't system/economy/more freedom... the rest will follow the working path (with luck and a lack of idiots in charge).

fj1200
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Bad cadet?

Better?

Yes, bad cadet. :hide: Now you're instituting rules; would those be voted on as well? Nevertheless, a pure democracy with little basis for understanding or rules to guide what actions could/should be taken is a bad idea.

Just because something could be done, doesn't mean it should be done. But you're right, power should be taken from the government and driven now to the lowest reasonable level.

03-27-2013, 04:01 PM

I would humbly nominate myself. You can trust me with immense uncheckable power.

cadet
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I would humbly nominate myself. You can trust me with immense uncheckable power.

03-27-2013, 05:11 PM

Yeah.. that probably is what would happen lol

Little-Acorn
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Technology has reached a point where we can get any and all information to anywhere at any time.
That's one of the basic misconceptions, that prevents liberalism from working.

We CANNOT get all information, to anywhere. We can only get the information to a person who wants to read it. And he can only read the stuff he wants to. And then he will probably disbelieve a lot of it. Indeed, a lot of information out there, isn't very believable, and is often flat-out false.

Information only does any good, when it gets inside someone's brain. And there are still huge restrictions (often having nothing to do with technology) that prevents that from happening. Or worse, distorts what does get into the brain.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that technology that makes communication easier and more plentiful, will solve all our problems, or even solve more problems than were being solved before it came around.

To put it pithily, a hole in a dam that lets what's inside it flow more freely, isn't always a good thing.

Liberalism depends on elected (or unelected) officials taking over more and more decisions formerly made by thousands or millions of individuals. But those officials aren't necessarily any smarter or better at making those decisions, than the individuals were. And the officials' priorities - the reasons why officials decise the way they do - are often NOT in the best interests of the individuals they are making the decisions for. Nor can the officials, sometime hundreds or thousands of miles away, possibly have all the information and constantly-changing updates that the individual(s) on the spot could have, wondrous technology or no.

All this terrific technology for transporting information around, usually won't make things any better... because the lack of information was only a minor part of most problems in the past, and remains so today.

Don't fall in love with the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle. People on the other end of it definitely aren't in love with you, and they will screw you, lie to you, or jilt you in a blink. Happens all the time, whether today or a century ago.

aboutime
03-28-2013, 08:31 PM
That's one of the basic misconceptions, that prevents liberalism from working.

We CANNOT get all information, to anywhere. We can only get the information to a person who wants to read it. And he can only read the stuff he wants to. And then he will probably disbelieve a lot of it. Indeed, a lot of information out there, isn't very believable, and is often flat-out false.

Information only does any good, when it gets inside someone's brain. And there are still huge restrictions (often having nothing to do with technology) that prevents that from happening. Or worse, distorts what does get into the brain.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that technology that makes communication easier and more plentiful, will solve all our problems, or even solve more problems than were being solved before it came around.

To put it pithily, a hole in a dam that lets what's inside it flow more freely, isn't always a good thing.

Liberalism depends on elected (or unelected) officials taking over more and more decisions formerly made by thousands or millions of individuals. But those officials aren't necessarily any smarter or better at making those decisions, than the individuals were. And the officials' priorities - the reasons why officials decise the way they do - are often NOT in the best interests of the individuals they are making the decisions for. Nor can the officials, sometime hundreds or thousands of miles away, possibly have all the information and constantly-changing updates that the individual(s) on the spot could have, wondrous technology or no.

All this terrific technology for transporting information around, usually won't make things any better... because the lack of information was only a minor part of most problems in the past, and remains so today.

Don't fall in love with the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle. People on the other end of it definitely aren't in love with you, and they will screw you, lie to you, or jilt you in a blink. Happens all the time, whether today or a century ago.

LittleAcorn. Very well said. And, if I may. I do agree how technology and the Internet combined have probably caused much more damage to society than anyone might have predicted.
Namely. On the internet, cell phones, using text messages, recordings, and email to communicate has taught our younger generations nothing about face-to-face communications. Consequently...unless they have a High Tech method of talking close-by. They are lost, and as human beings. Have lost their ability to actually become personally responsible enough to SPEAK INTELLIGENTLY without all of the Short-cuts, and Abbreviations...like TTYL, CUL, LOL.
If people can't communicate in person. They Lose everything eventually.