PDA

View Full Version : The new "300" - 300 heroes rush to the aide of One.

darin
03-28-2013, 06:49 AM
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2012/11/military-how-300-troops-saved-one-soldier-110512/

Nick Vogt graduated from West Point in 2010 with an acceptance to medical school and plans to become one of the Army’s top trauma surgeons.
But first, the Ohio-born 22-year-old wanted to understand the physical and mental demands on an infantryman in combat. So he went to Ranger School and Airborne and landed with 1st Stryker Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, first in Fort Wainwright, Alaska, and later, Afghanistan.
“It felt necessary for me to go out there, to experience what the soldiers experience, so when I’m a doctor, I’ll know,” said Vogt, now 24.
In Panjwai, near Kandahar, Vogt’s affable demeanor and willingness to learn quickly earned his men’s allegiance.
“I really liked the guy. He was really motivated to get out there and work with us,” recalled team leader Sgt. Adam Lundy.
But within two months, the popular lieutenant would be clinically dead, having taken a wrong step onto an improvised explosive device.
And what happened afterward is now a chapter in the annals of military medicine

Awe-inspiring to those with a heart.