PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Let's force IT to be right-brained so females feel welcome!

tailfins
03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Males tend to be equation minded and code oriented. What we need in IT is to make it more perception-centric and consensus-centric and not worry that the code is bug-free just to make females feel welcome! So lets force female thought patterns on male creative staff. That sounds like a recipe for success: NOT! Let's create a perception that the software is good and call it a (bad) day. :cool: So if the application doesn't work, but the consensus is that everyone feels good about it, mark it down as a successful effort.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112784/tech-industry-gender-gap-closing-it-starts-classroom#

Trinity
03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Males tend to be equation minded and code oriented. What we need in IT is to make it more perception-centric and consensus-centric and not worry that the code is bug-free just to make females feel welcome! So lets force female thought patterns on male creative staff. That sounds like a recipe for success: NOT! Let's create a perception that the software is good and call it a (bad) day. :cool: So if the application doesn't work, but the consensus is that everyone feels good about it, mark it down as a successful effort.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112784/tech-industry-gender-gap-closing-it-starts-classroom#

NO NO NO NO NO....keep making the females feel unwelcome, don't change it just to make the numbers even. I work for an IT company 6 floors of IT people to be exact and 85% of them are males. I get along really well with all of the males there and yep they can be crude and nasty in their joking around, and they are always saying things that most likely would offend a typical women (I'm not typical). The 15% of women that work there I get along with well too....but that's probably because we understand the difference between joking and harassment (and their not typical either) and are not easily offended. I love my job and I love the people I work with! Women are just to catty for me, give me a predominant male IT work environment any day. :cool:

Robert A Whit
03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
NO NO NO NO NO....keep making the females feel unwelcome, don't change it just to make the numbers even. I work for an IT company 6 floors of IT people to be exact and 85% of them are males. I get along really well with all of the males there and yep they can be crude and nasty in their joking around, and they are always saying things that most likely would offend a typical women (I'm not typical). The 15% of women that work there I get along with well too....but that's probably because we understand the difference between joking and harassment (and their not typical either) and are not easily offended. I love my job and I love the people I work with! Women are just to catty for me, give me a predominant male IT work environment any day. :cool:

You are probably so so admired there. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to retain status Quo.

aboutime
03-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Trinity. Despite all of the crudeness you must work with, and manage to survive. You have just presented what can only be a place where adults, and personally responsible people work together toward a common goal.
Fact is. Despite your denial. You are most certainly...More Typical than most would like to admit. It's usually the men who do the most whining in work atmosphere's. I can say that because I took part in the Introduction of Females into the Shipboard life, and Routine of the navy...from the Ground Up.
As a senior Enlisted male myself. The largest problems we experienced always seemed to come from the male side as anger, and worry about being replaced by females.
It was a terrible cycle to overcome until everyone finally recognized....We are all Human beings first...and military members second.

Trinity
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Trinity. Despite all of the crudeness you must work with, and manage to survive. You have just presented what can only be a place where adults, and personally responsible people work together toward a common goal.
Fact is. Despite your denial. You are most certainly...More Typical than most would like to admit. It's usually the men who do the most whining in work atmosphere's. I can say that because I took part in the Introduction of Females into the Shipboard life, and Routine of the navy...from the Ground Up.
As a senior Enlisted male myself. The largest problems we experienced always seemed to come from the male side as anger, and worry about being replaced by females.
It was a terrible cycle to overcome until everyone finally recognized....We are all Human beings first...and military members second.

Trust me I am not typical....and according to my husband I am just weird.:coffee:

aboutime
03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Trust me I am not typical....and according to my husband I am just weird.:coffee:

Who am I to argue with your husband? Seriously. We could use more people like you. It pays to NOT be typical. But you know what I meant.
Want to see weird?
Check out some of the posts directed my way lately.
Your form of weird doesn't come close.

Robert A Whit
03-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Another impressive reply. I just knew you could do it. Trinity was also impressed. Kudos to her.

Robert A Whit
03-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Who am I to argue with your husband? Seriously. We could use more people like you. It pays to NOT be typical. But you know what I meant.
Want to see weird?
Check out some of the posts directed my way lately.
Your form of weird doesn't come close.

It is not you my friend. It is that mess we call alcoholism. I was so sad when you admit being one.

Trinity probably, and I don't speak for her, does not care to read the whining that ends up in the Cage. Bear in mind, not only you but we who talk to you end up there too.

cadet
03-29-2013, 07:55 PM

NO!!! Don't make that point! The last thing we need is people trying to say we don't need girls!
Idk if you IT guys are a bunch of flammers, but we engineers have been begging for girls for years!!!

tailfins
03-29-2013, 08:22 PM
NO!!! Don't make that point! The last thing we need is people trying to say we don't need girls!
Idk if you IT guys are a bunch of flammers, but we engineers have been begging for girls for years!!!

Don't sh!t where you eat. Keep your work and relationships separate. I'm ok with females as long as they judge work by correct answers. I'm sooooooo tired of female technical managers that got there by political tactics and have little technical knowledge. They dumb down the performance of everyone below them on the org chart. Immigrant females are usually ok, but American non-technical females managing technical endeavors is reason enough to walk away from the company. It's eroding the US technical advantage.

cadet
03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't sh!t where you eat. Keep your work and relationships separate. I'm ok with females as long as they judge work by correct answers. I'm sooooooo tired of female technical managers that got there by political tactics and have little technical knowledge. They dumb down the performance of everyone below them on the org chart. Immigrant females are usually ok, but American non-technical females managing technical endeavors is reason enough to walk away from the company. It's eroding the US technical advantage.

Men work harder in the office if there's a hot chick to show off for. :cool:

aboutime
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Men work harder in the office if there's a hot chick to show off for. :cool:

How many jobs, professions, and places have you worked to convince us that is factual cadet?

cadet
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
How many jobs, professions, and places have you worked to convince us that is factual cadet?

pfff, that's just common sense.
It's like lifting, sure as God made little green apples you'll be lifting twice what you were if a hot girl walks in. :laugh:

cadet
03-29-2013, 11:46 PM
I hope you know I'm joking, I know all to well that most girls can't wrap their heads around the technical fields.
And the only girl I've ever met that could understand the mechanics of the things I enjoyed studying looked like a dude. :terror:

And this is why I've sunken low enough to date a girl going for a business degree :cool:, cause it may be a dumb degree, but it does has it's ladies. :laugh:

Trinity
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
I hope you know I'm joking, I know all to well that most girls can't wrap their heads around the technical fields.
And the only girl I've ever met that could understand the mechanics of the things I enjoyed studying looked like a dude. :terror:

And this is why I've sunken low enough to date a girl going for a business degree :cool:, cause it may be a dumb degree, but it does has it's ladies. :laugh:

:laugh: I can promise you I definitely do not look like a dude. And you are absolutely right most girls can not wrap their head around the technical fields although I know a lot of guys that can't either. It's one of those things you either get it or you don't.

Robert A Whit
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cadet http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=627865#post627865)

:laugh: I can promise you I definitely do not look like a dude. And you are absolutely right most girls can not wrap their head around the technical fields although I know a lot of guys that can't either. It's one of those things you either get it or you don't.

I am sure that my youngest daughter, now 26, could master science and math. Her older sister graduated college with a degree in the law field. She did not like accounting since I urged her to minor in business. She never said math or science was hard for her.

But now that I admit women do very well in science and math, some can't get it.

Think of this story as if you had been present.

This was in one of my college chemistry courses.

Girl taking Chemistry

She tells the teacher she can't imagine atoms. She tells the teacher it simply is not getting into her head.

Teacher to girl

Can you visualize marbles moving around?

She says no.

He says, can you visualize golf balls moving around?

Nope, She says.

He then tries one last thing.

Can you visualize basket balls moving around?

Nope she tells him.

He gives up.

We in the class were laughing our asses off.

This teacher taught in a way we were laughing.

When describing an experiment he was about to do, he did it like a comic.

He called equipment like a Bunsen Burner a piece of junk.

'Today, we will take this piece of junk, put in some stuff and create something."

Though due to how long ago this was, i do not recall his name but he sure was a funny person.

Abbey Marie
03-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Gee, I don't know, Cadet. I used to test top-name software for publication, and no one ever accused me of looking like a dude. And in fact, my awesome husband and I met at that job. :cool:

Robert A Whit
03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Gee, I don't know, Cadet. I used to test top-name software for publication, and no one ever accused me of looking like a dude. And in fact, my awesome husband and I met at that job. :cool:

I feel behind on things you know well. I got an early start buying computers and really put in a lot of time trying on my own to learn what programming entails. I had plenty of electronics background so understand how computers work and so forth. I used to create some of my own programs. I simply got far too busy to get formally educated on things you know. I have learned a few new things from Jim. I hope to seek advice from time to time. We all can learn something by asking.

When I arrived here, I was so used to the AOL system that I had to learn new things to post here. I get so busy on ideas that at times I am not up to speed on using this forum. I need to tinker with the tools and so forth and plan to do that.

AOL sucks trying to post video links and picture links. This forum is much better. Anyway, I hope to learn more as time goes by.

tailfins
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Manual tester?

Abbey Marie
03-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I feel behind on things you know well. I got an early start buying computers and really put in a lot of time trying on my own to learn what programming entails. I had plenty of electronics background so understand how computers work and so forth. I used to create some of my own programs. I simply got far too busy to get formally educated on things you know. I have learned a few new things from Jim. I hope to seek advice from time to time. We all can learn something by asking.

When I arrived here, I was so used to the AOL system that I had to learn new things to post here. I get so busy on ideas that at times I am not up to speed on using this forum. I need to tinker with the tools and so forth and plan to do that.

AOL sucks trying to post video links and picture links. This forum is much better. Anyway, I hope to learn more as time goes by.

I think you are doing fine, Robert. My father in law had the hardest time trying to learn even the basics on a computer. I'm talking just sending an email and using Word. We had to keep showing him how to do such things. And he was a Chemistry grad. As an aside, my mother-in-law was able to figure out how to use a genealogy program very well. She was able to get records from various sources and input them and now we have a pretty thorough record of my husband's father's family going waaay back. They were both in their early 70s. My niece is a programmer as well.

As for me knowing such things, I am no longer working in it, and I can see from my husband's career that it's a big job just keeping up with new technology/hardware. Things can easily pass you by in IT. I don't claim to be up on much of it anymore.

I just wanted Cadet to know that regular women can and do handle it, though not many actually do. Trigg is very cool. :cool:

Abbey Marie
03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Manual tester?

Not sure what you mean.

aboutime
03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
pfff, that's just common sense.
It's like lifting, sure as God made little green apples you'll be lifting twice what you were if a hot girl walks in. :laugh:

If you insist. Maybe one day. You'll learn what common sense actually is. If you base such things on HOT GIRLS. You need to try life first.

tailfins
03-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Not sure what you mean.

Did you just test the GUI posing as a user or did you test the service layer, business rules and data layer?