PDA

View Full Version : 50th ANNIVERSARY OF JFK'S ASSASSINATION--ITS LASTING EFFECT ON OUR COUNTRY, THE WORLD

childhoodsend50
03-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Below you'll find a link to a recently completed song and visual production that is a powerful reflection on the profound effect John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 has had on our nation over the past half century.

YouTube Search: JFK KENNEDY 50th ANNIVERSARY OF ASSASSINATION MEMORIAL TRIBUTE (Full Version)

I've been a lyricist/songwriter all my life, having the good fortune of working with a number of talented and gifted artists over the past 30+ years. The songwriting credit I'm most proud of is providing the words for "Shadowland", a song co-written with Graham Nash and Joe Vitale that appeared on Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's first reunion album, "American Dream", certified platinum in 1989.

While "Shadowland" was a stark glimpse at the effects the Vietnam War on the soldiers who fought there, "Childhood's End" is a look back at JFK's assassination and a reflection on how what happened on that November day almost 50 years ago irrevocably changed our country forever. I believe that event in history truly stole away our nation's innocence. That's why the title of the song in the video production is "Childhood's End".

I was hoping someone might connect with this song and video presentation in some way. Unfortunately, these days many young people today aren't fully aware of the lasting effect President Kennedy's assassination has had on our country and the world over the past fifty years. As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". I think it's critical for our future that this moment from our nation's history is never swept under the carpet of the changing times. We owe that much to our children, our children's children and the future generations that are here long after we are gone..

Kind Regards,

Rick Ryan

jimnyc
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM
That's effing awesome!!!

I kid, I kid.

Smells kind of spammy to me. Considering that once one finds your spammed video, you also link to it for sale. Normally I would delete a post like this, but I think having a political song is unique. Hell, I'll even embed it here!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ssPibCd-1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aboutime
03-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Below you'll find a link to a recently completed song and visual production that is a powerful reflection on the profound effect John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 has had on our nation over the past half century.

YouTube Search: JFK KENNEDY 50th ANNIVERSARY OF ASSASSINATION MEMORIAL TRIBUTE (Full Version)

I've been a lyricist/songwriter all my life, having the good fortune of working with a number of talented and gifted artists over the past 30+ years. The songwriting credit I'm most proud of is providing the words for "Shadowland", a song co-written with Graham Nash and Joe Vitale that appeared on Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's first reunion album, "American Dream", certified platinum in 1989.

While "Shadowland" was a stark glimpse at the effects the Vietnam War on the soldiers who fought there, "Childhood's End" is a look back at JFK's assassination and a reflection on how what happened on that November day almost 50 years ago irrevocably changed our country forever. I believe that event in history truly stole away our nation's innocence. That's why the title of the song in the video production is "Childhood's End".

I was hoping someone might connect with this song and video presentation in some way. Unfortunately, these days many young people today aren't fully aware of the lasting effect President Kennedy's assassination has had on our country and the world over the past fifty years. As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". I think it's critical for our future that this moment from our nation's history is never swept under the carpet of the changing times. We owe that much to our children, our children's children and the future generations that are here long after we are gone..

Kind Regards,

Rick Ryan

I lived through, and remember CAMELOT very well.
JFK's Naval service was a prime reason I chose to join the navy in 1964.
Four years earlier, when he was running for President.
My sister and I both touched JFK's hand at a rally, on a Saturday
morning at Roosevelt Field, in Norristown, Pa.
My father told my sister she couldn't go alone,
so...as History now tells.
If I hadn't gone with her.
I could never say I touched JFK's hand.
His death was a huge blow to EVERYONE.
The day he died...a Friday. I was in a hospital room with my father.
He had back surgery the week before, and I had my fractured Tail Bone (coccyx) removed.
Our nurse came into our room crying.

childhoodsend50
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
He had back surgery the week before, and I had my fractured Tail Bone (coccyx) removed.

At the time, I was an 11-year old Irish Catholic kid growing up on thr outskirts of Boston. I remember my whole family being glued to the small black and white TV set. For me, the magnitude of what had happened didn't truly set in until quite a few years later. I remember my parents' pain and sorrow and disbelief. I also remember being introduced to the word "caisson", which must have been said a thousand times by TV reporters on the Saturday and Sunday following the assassintion. Strange the selective things we recall back when we're kids...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-01-2013, 11:02 PM
That's effing awesome!!!

I kid, I kid.

Smells kind of spammy to me. Considering that once one finds your spammed video, you also link to it for sale. Normally I would delete a post like this, but I think having a political song is unique. Hell, I'll even embed it here!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ssPibCd-1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I thought it rather good myself. As far as that kind of thing goes. I mean one can not compare it to Classic Rock but was ok and the video part was fairly good too.
On a scale 1 to 10 I give it about a 7.6.--Tyr

childhoodsend50
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I thought it rather good myself. As far as that kind of thing goes. I mean one can not compare it to Classic Rock but was ok and the video part was fairly good too.
On a scale 1 to 10 I give it about a 7.6.--Tyr

Thanks very much. Musically, it's definitely not a Classic Rock production, but it could be taken in that direction if someone wanted to. The way it is, it's difficult for me to place it in any musical genre...but the intention was never to write for any particular market. Selling records (or should I say downloads) was never a priority. The message was the important thing. About 25 years ago, after I'd written the lyric "Shadowland" and a few days later Graham Nash called me saying he wanted to put music to it, I envisioned it becoming some sort of rock anthem. As it turned out, he edited my words down and it ultimately became kind of a haunting, etherial piece...not at all what I'd expected. I wasn't disappointed, but I certainly had to adjust my brain to what the finished product had become. Hey, I'll take a 7.6 out of 10 any day for something I've co-written.
Again, many thanks,
Rick

childhoodsend50
06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Just finished reading "Hit List" by Richard Belzer and David Wayne---and found it to be quite thoroughly researched. Definitely worth checking out. Lays the responsibility for JFK's assassination pretty much on LBJ, although I realize many will believe this concept to be preposterous. Regardless, Oswald was indeed the "ideal patsy". The odds of so many people who had knowledge of what had happened dying suspiciously in such a short time period is in the tens of trillions. I know there are many other books that deal with the same subject...just thought I'd mention this one because it recently came out...

Little-Acorn
06-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Ummm... Kennedy was assassinated in November, 1963.

Come back in 6 months.

aboutime
06-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Since it is a long time until the actual day of November 22nd, and the 50th year since that day.

I smell another Conspiracy Theory Thread in the air.

Because so many of today's population in America still hadn't been born.

Few will pay any attention to it...unless...Someone continues the Half Century Conspiracy Theory going.

Next thing we'll all probably hear about is in July...When once again. The same people will declare 1969's Landing on the Moon...took place in Hollywood on a soundstage.

Otherwise. Very good sound. Terrible reminders of growing up. Sadly. Most people won't pay any attention.

childhoodsend50
06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey, sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit. Just wanted to share something I thought a few folks out there (unlike yourself) might appreciate. Like many others from my generation, I've been affected by JFK's assassination at various moments during my entire life. I was an 11 year old Irish Catholic kid growing up on the outskirts of Boston when it happened. Apologies if my timing wasn't precisely right for you, but it might be a good time for others who actually lived through it....

aboutime
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey, sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit. Just wanted to share something I thought a few folks out there (unlike yourself) might appreciate. Like many others from my generation, I've been affected by JFK's assassination at various moments during my entire life. I was an 11 year old Irish Catholic kid growing up on the outskirts of Boston when it happened. Apologies if my timing wasn't precisely right for you, but it might be a good time for others who actually lived through it....

My apologies. I hit the send button too soon. Added further remarks. It is rather too soon, and will be forgotten over the long, hot Summer. The attention span of Americans is terrible.

childhoodsend50
06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Since it is a long time until the actual day of November 22nd, and the 50th year since that day.

I smell another Conspiracy Theory Thread in the air.

Because so many of today's population in America still hadn't been born.

Few will pay any attention to it...unless...Someone continues the Half Century Conspiracy Theory going.

Next thing we'll all probably hear about is in July...When once again. The same people will declare 1969's Landing on the Moon...took place in Hollywood on a soundstage.

Otherwise. Very good sound. Terrible reminders of growing up. Sadly. Most people won't pay any attention.

Wanted to let you know I was replying to the other post, not yours...

Gaffer
06-03-2013, 09:48 PM

So exactly what impact did the assassination have on your life. I was 16 when it happened. I was in Art class at school and a girl came in from the office crying and said the president had been shot. Everyone was stunned. But an hour later we were sent home. That's the only effect it had on me. I did make a few bucks drawing portraits of Kennedy the following year.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-04-2013, 09:07 AM
So exactly what impact did the assassination have on your life. I was 16 when it happened. I was in Art class at school and a girl came in from the office crying and said the president had been shot. Everyone was stunned. But an hour later we were sent home. That's the only effect it had on me. I did make a few bucks drawing portraits of Kennedy the following year.

We were in class and suddenly all the teachers went to the office. They came back a couple minutes later most of them openly crying. I'd never seen anything like that before. Then our teacher told us the President had been shot and was likely not to make it. At that time I thought highly of Kennedy and remember being very damn angry and wanting to get my hands on the bastard that did the deed.
Nody is immune to the effects of the actions of evil men in this world. I learned that for sure that day.

aboutime
06-04-2013, 01:00 PM

My father and I were both in the same hospital room on that date. He had back surgery that put him in a body cast neck to waist after falling from a 2nd floor roof at work, and landing on his feet.
I had my coccyx...better known as the Tail Bone removed after playing basketball in school, jumping, and coming down on another kid's knee...who had been jumping at the same time.
Our nurse came into the room at One O'clock, and she was crying as she asked my Dad to turn on the news on the little TV.

It was a terrible day for everyone. And the days that followed, all through the Funeral, with John-John saluting, and Ted, Bobby and Jackie walking down Pennsylvania Ave.
It was a day...ANYONE WHO WAS ALIVE...will never forget.

As for how it affected me. I really admired JFK after knowing I had touched his hand. And I can honestly say. Because of JFK. I joined the navy in 1964. I wanted to become someone like we later saw in PT-109. Which I understand. JFK never saw.

childhoodsend50
07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
My father and I were both in the same hospital room on that date. He had back surgery that put him in a body cast neck to waist after falling from a 2nd floor roof at work, and landing on his feet.
I had my coccyx...better known as the Tail Bone removed after playing basketball in school, jumping, and coming down on another kid's knee...who had been jumping at the same time.
Our nurse came into the room at One O'clock, and she was crying as she asked my Dad to turn on the news on the little TV.

It was a terrible day for everyone. And the days that followed, all through the Funeral, with John-John saluting, and Ted, Bobby and Jackie walking down Pennsylvania Ave.
It was a day...ANYONE WHO WAS ALIVE...will never forget.

As for how it affected me. I really admired JFK after knowing I had touched his hand. And I can honestly say. Because of JFK. I joined the navy in 1964. I wanted to become someone like we later saw in PT-109. Which I understand. JFK never saw.

I'll never forget that Friday afternoon when I was an eleven year old Irish Catholic kid living in a suburb of Boston. In the ensuing years, I've come to realize the loss of President Kennedy in such a senseless and brutal manner affected me more than I ever knew at the time. The words to the song "Childhood's End" were very difficult for me to write, bringing me to tears many times during it's composition. All the feelings that 11-year old boy experienced fifty years before...feelings he'd somehow tucked away into the deepest recesses of his psyche...were suddenly coming to the surface. It was a cathartic experience, to say the least.

Marcus Aurelius
07-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I'll never forget that Friday afternoon when I was an eleven year old Irish Catholic kid living in a suburb of Boston. In the ensuing years, I've come to realize the loss of President Kennedy in such a senseless and brutal manner affected me more than I ever knew at the time. The words to the song "Childhood's End" were very difficult for me to write, bringing me to tears many times during it's composition. All the feelings that 11-year old boy experienced fifty years before...feelings he'd somehow tucked away into the deepest recesses of his psyche...were suddenly coming to the surface. It was a cathartic experience, to say the least.

yes, yes... 11 year old boy...blah blah.. Irish Catholic... blah blah...wrote a song... blah blah...

aboutime
07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
yes, yes... 11 year old boy...blah blah.. Irish Catholic... blah blah...wrote a song... blah blah...

Marcus. Everyone alive REMEMBERS VERY WELL...what they were doing as 11 year old Irish Catholic kids, on November 22, 1963.

Well.....not everyone. Singing..."Bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry....."

Oh! I didn't write that till many years later. Forget it.

childhoodsend50
07-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Hey, I was an altar boy as well...and about three years later, an Eagle Scout. I know...blah blah blah. Just thought I'd mention those further tidbits of genuine blah blah to draw another cynical blah blah response. Sorry, though...never wrote a song about either of those particular blah blah moments in my utterly blah blah life...

Marcus Aurelius
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Hey, I was an altar boy as well...and about three years later, an Eagle Scout. I know...blah blah blah. Just thought I'd mention those further tidbits of genuine blah blah to draw another cynical blah blah response. Sorry, though...never wrote a song about either of those particular blah blah moments in my utterly blah blah life...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d0CB9MugNA0/Tin0E_bjm0I/AAAAAAAAVlA/jcSczAMLFFY/s320/blah.jpg

aboutime
07-23-2013, 04:06 PM

What was your previous, or former member name here?

childhoodsend50
07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
What was your previous, or former member name here?

Apeneck Sweeney until I thought it best to disguise my blah blah Irish Catholic altar boy roots. No, seriously...I've always been who I am here and now at the present moment, totally immersed in thrusting unwanted blah blah songs on his eminence Marcus and all others who might be unfortunate enough to cross my unsavory, unwashed blah blah path...

aboutime
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Apeneck Sweeney until I thought it best to disguise my blah blah Irish Catholic altar boy roots. No, seriously...I've always been who I am here and now at the present moment, totally immersed in thrusting unwanted blah blah songs on his eminence Marcus and all others who might be unfortunate enough to cross my unsavory, unwashed blah blah path...

Thanks Robert!

childhoodsend50
07-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks Robert!

My name actually isn't Robert, it's Rick. Just wondering if there might be some significance literary or otherwise in your referring to me as "Robert".

Marcus Aurelius
07-23-2013, 11:06 PM
http://www.texassharon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sock-puppet-1.jpg

aboutime
07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.texassharon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sock-puppet-1.jpg

When will it ever end Marcus?

childhoodsend50
07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
When will it ever end Marcus?

Hey, maybe I'm out of whatever sock-puppet loop there might be...but what the hell is the significance of this stupid thing? Am I missing something or is this just plain dumb?

Marcus Aurelius
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey, maybe I'm out of whatever sock-puppet loop there might be...but what the hell is the significance of this stupid thing? Am I missing something or is this just plain dumb?

Oh, I think there is quite a lot you're missing...

aboutime
07-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh, I think there is quite a lot you're missing...

Marcus. Sounds like a typical liberal defense move. Pretend not to know what's going on. Then proving it's not pretend.