PDA

View Full Version : Forced to change life plans

cadet
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Alright, so I didn't quite make it into field training. (big miscommunication that I couldn't get sorted out in time) It's like boot camp but for officers. That leaves me with the choice of dropping or going to college an extra year, and going further into debt.

So I'm torn between following the first dream and trying to start up a small engineering firm, or going to OTS (Officer Training School) once I'm done with college.

If I go OTS, I'll hopefully be married by then, I'll be giving 6 years away (Was going to anyway) to serve. Hopefully as a helicopter pilot. Through that I'm going to save up to start the small engineering firm.

Else I'm going to graduate, work for a few years to pay off my college, and then take out a loan and really get cracking on starting something up.

Just wanted to tell you guys so I don't feel like I'm lying with my name being cadet and all. Wish me luck!

03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Would never have thought you were lying.

God has a plan for you. I dont know what it is. But make sure you consult Him frequently. There is a reason you are in this fork in the road. Have faith, seek revelation, and keep living the truth.

Good luck with everything.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Would never have thought you were lying.

God has a plan for you. I dont know what it is. But make sure you consult Him frequently. There is a reason you are in this fork in the road. Have faith, seek revelation, and keep living the truth.

Good luck with everything.

I agree guy seems very honest to me. If he seeks counsel and help from God he will take the right path forward.
I also wish cadet the best of luck in his career choices and life! -Tyr

gabosaurus
03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Cadet, I would advise you to talk things out with your dad (a very smart man) and then go with your heart.
I would advise working for an engineering firm before trying to start one up. You will get a lot of needed experience, plus you will gain some investment capital.

tailfins
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Do whatever gives other people the least control over your life.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Cadet, I would advise you to talk things out with your dad (a very smart man) and then go with your heart.
I would advise working for an engineering firm before trying to start one up. You will get a lot of needed experience, plus you will gain some investment capital.

Have to agree that is good advice!!--:beer:--Tyr

Robert A Whit
03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Alright, so I didn't quite make it into field training. (big miscommunication that I couldn't get sorted out in time) It's like boot camp but for officers. That leaves me with the choice of dropping or going to college an extra year, and going further into debt.

So I'm torn between following the first dream and trying to start up a small engineering firm, or going to OTS (Officer Training School) once I'm done with college.

If I go OTS, I'll hopefully be married by then, I'll be giving 6 years away (Was going to anyway) to serve. Hopefully as a helicopter pilot. Through that I'm going to save up to start the small engineering firm.

Else I'm going to graduate, work for a few years to pay off my college, and then take out a loan and really get cracking on starting something up.

Just wanted to tell you guys so I don't feel like I'm lying with my name being cadet and all. Wish me luck!

I hated the idea of being drafted. And talked to an Army recruiter about the Army OCS. OCS is officer candidate school. During training I was told pay would go up to Sgt. E-5 and once finished, pay would go way up to 2nd Lt pay. I think if my memory is half good that 2nd Lt pay was at least 4 times the pay I got.

Anyway, being an officer has lots of perks. And you can travel. And the GI bill offers you opportunities. I would stay 20 years to get retirement pay plus a second careet. That money paid to a retired officer, probably pay of a Lt Col or more, is very good pay. Flight pay adds quite a bit of cash. And as an Officer, you may be able to spend time in college again and learn even more.

I decided to just do 2 years and get back to big pay in construction. I have often though I should have been an officer and so forth.

It's all up to you though. You might look up officer pay and maybe that will help you. Bear in mind, on retirement at such a young age will keep you in beans for the rest of your life.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Do whatever gives other people the least control over your life.

I agree but that can be a costly move. I did that as a young man. Looking back I can see the trade off I made by doing so. I lived a much freer and even wilder exciting life but gave up on greater stability and more wealth. As is a truth in life most important life decisions made are trade offs.
Tis' why its good advice to seek advice from older more experienced adults. Cadet's dad being a prime example of who to go to for that more informed opinion.-Tyr