PDA

View Full Version : Kids drown in pond while babysitter Sleeps

nevadamedic
05-31-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/31/toddlers.drown.ap/index.html

How awful. This is why you get someone responsible to watch your kids as they should be and are your most valuable possession. I never trust my daughter with anyone.

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 07:22 PM

How awful. This is why you get someone responsible to watch your kids as they should be and are your most valuable possession. I never trust my daughter with anyone.

Having had 3 children within 4.5 years of each other, I think you may be unduly harsh. This certainly is a tragedy, but it's certainly possible that the 'sitter' or ''mother' or 'caretaker father' had been awakened at 4:30 am, put the kids down for a nap, thought they were out and took a nap themself. Tragic.

darin
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
OH that's HORRIBLE! that POOR woman. I hope she gets the counseling she needs. :( :( :( :(

EVERY mother I know uses their kids' nap-time as a chance to nap as well. :(

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 08:04 PM
OH that's HORRIBLE! that POOR woman. I hope she gets the counseling she needs. :( :( :( :(

EVERY mother I know uses their kids' nap-time as a chance to nap as well. :(

When your children were babies, did you and your wife sleep? Shame, what if they stopped breathing? One of you should have been there at all times to make sure they kept it up.

No? Welcome to reality. Since the beginning. We all do what's reasonable. Not reasonable? Being drunk, drugged, instead of caring for the children. Putting them down for a nap or for the night and doing likewise, not abuse or neglect.

Yurt
05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Fair enough K.

How did they get out the house?

A baby"sitter" is hired specifically to sit the children, not nap.

Something does not seem right with this situation.

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Fair enough K.

and that may well be true. But with that said, it's possible for kids to get at Flintstone vitamins or something else, while adult is sleeping. Get out a door? I suppose that depends on how hard that is, without enough noise to wake.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Fair enough K.

I think you hit the most salient points. Especially that a babysitter is being paid to watch the kids, whether they are sleeping or awake.

Also, when our daughter was little, we made sure to use door locks she was too little or too young to reach or know how to open.

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I think you hit the most salient points. Especially that a babysitter is being paid to watch the kids, whether they are sleeping or awake.

Also, when our daughter was little, we made sure to use door locks she was too little or too young to reach or know how to open.

Problem is, the definition of 'sitter.' If this person entered the home at 7 or 8 am, I agree. If it was a live-in, with children that were up and down at all times, my take stands.

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Problem is, the definition of 'sitter.' If this person entered the home at 7 or 8 am, I agree. If it was a live-in, with children that were up and down at all times, my take stands.

I tend to agree with your take. The article said the babysitter lived in the same house. That would mean a familial relationship rather than being hired specifically to watch the children.

And yeah, when my girls were little and went down for a nap, so did Dad. But one of them so much as turning over would wake me up, so I nevr worried too much about them getting past me.

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM

There's not enough information there to judge anyone yet.

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:30 PM
There's not enough information there to judge anyone yet.

This is Amerika. Since when was information required to judge anyone?

Hang 'em, THEN a fair trial ... that's what I say.:laugh2:

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
This is Amerika. Since when was information required to judge anyone?

Hang 'em, THEN a fair trial ... that's what I say.:laugh2:

Ok, then you're guilty.

**holds noose open**

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Ok, then you're guilty.

**holds noose open**

You have to accuse me of something at least ... then back it up with contrived evidence .... then you can call me GW.:poke:

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:39 PM
You have to accuse me of something at least ... then back it up with contrived evidence .... then you can call me GW.:poke:

I'll get back to you on that, then.

All I need to do is aquire a list of what's all wrong with you on any given day. :laugh2:

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I'll get back to you on that, then.

All I need to do is aquire a list of what's all wrong with you on any given day. :laugh2:

Oh ... need me to put the Missus on, do you? Hope you take shorthand.:laugh2:

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Oh ... need me to put the Missus on, do you? Hope you take shorthand.:laugh2:

We speak "woman" - that's even quicker than shorthand.

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:43 PM

:ahole:

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
:ahole:

:slap: Like you didn't know THAT was coming.

We'd best get this thread back on topic, lest the Harpy Queen cometh.

Kathianne
I tend to agree with your take. The article said the babysitter lived in the same house. That would mean a familial relationship rather than being hired specifically to watch the children.

And yeah, when my girls were little and went down for a nap, so did Dad. But one of them so much as turning over would wake me up, so I nevr worried too much about them getting past me.

I'll just say that beyond being a 'sound sleeper', I'm also deaf. No one could understand the contortions I put myself through to 'hear' my kids if they woke or cried. It was not 'normal'. At the same time, regardless of the rigmarole that I put myself through, they managed to come up with scenarios that resulted in trips to ER.

Yurt

Yeah, one is five letters, the other is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 letters.... :laugh2:

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
:slap: Like you didn't know THAT was coming.

We'd best get this thread back on topic, lest the Harpy Queen cometh.

How can she see a conversation between you and I? We're both on ignore.:laugh2:

shattered
05-31-2007, 09:48 PM
How can she see a conversation between you and I? We're both on ignore.:laugh2:

D'oh! Good point.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
The title of the article called her the babysitter. You mean... CNN gave us another misleading sensationalist title? It can't be!

Btw, she could live there, but just occasionally babysits, in which case she should have been awake while they were in her care. We don't know enough yet.

Kathianne
05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey WTF, it's all good. In any case.

Gunny
05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
The title of the article called her the babysitter. You mean... CNN gave us another misleading sensationalist title? It can't be!

Btw, she could live there, but just occasionally babysits, in which case she should have been awake while they were in her care. We don't know enough yet.

The article calls her "the teenage babysitter," and says she lives in the house. It doesn't say whether or not she is family.

If she lives there, obviously she would be considered part of the family even if she is not a relative. The article doesn't say.

Yurt
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey WTF, it's all good. In any case.

?????????????????????

nevadamedic
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
I'll just say that beyond being a 'sound sleeper', I'm also deaf. No one could understand the contortions I put myself through to 'hear' my kids if they woke or cried. It was not 'normal'. At the same time, regardless of the rigmarole that I put myself through, they managed to come up with scenarios that resulted in trips to ER.

I think when your child is born the local hospital should get you a frequent customer card for the Emergency Room.