PDA

View Full Version : My daughter, the gambler

gabosaurus
03-30-2013, 10:50 PM
My husband went to met a client of his at Los Alamitos, a horse track not far from where we live. The client has a couple of kids, so he took my daughter with him. The client's kids didn't show up, so my daughter ended up learning about betting on the horses.
I have learned that the horse track is a good place to discuss business, since there is about 20-25 minutes between races. Los Alamitos is not as high class as Santa Anita, so it is fairly kid friendly.

Apparently they were going to bet a trifecta (top three horses) on one race, but could only agree on two of them. My daughter chose one that had a large, bushy tail. She thought that horse would beat the two favorite horses since the latter weren't waving their tails around as much. That hunch was good enough for the gamblers.
Mr. Bushy Tail horse beat the other two and the trifecta paid $60. My daughter got half of it. :cool:
On another race, she picked a winning horse and won $11.

When I last talked to my husband, they still had a few races to go. Which is good since my husband hasn't won anything yet. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Have her make a donation. :)

When I used to go, same with me, go with hunches (and the best jockeys). I would go to harness and not thoroughbred. Anyway, $2 across the board, so I would win if my horse came in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I would go to the track with like $50 and never once went home broke!

She won it fair and square, so let her spend it on what she likes!

Noir
03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Pls ask her to share some of that luck with me, have a few bob riding on the Washington Caps tonight (:

jimnyc
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Pls ask her to share some of that luck with me, have a dew bob riding on the Washington Caps tonight (:0

How do you end up being a Caps fan from all the way over there? And WTF is a "dew bob"? Philly has been sucking lately, you should win that bet. Any spread?

Noir
03-31-2013, 11:52 AM

How do you end up being a Caps fan from all the way over there? And WTF is a "dew bob"? Philly has been sucking lately, you should win that bet. Any spread?

Not a Caps fan, Penguins and Blackhawks are my teams (yeah its been a good year lol) but i watch a few games a night and bet a 'few bob' (read: a couple of bucks) when the odds are favourable.

The Flyers have been bad but Caps not much better, 17/10 for a Caps win (:

jimnyc
03-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Not a Caps fan, Penguins and Blackhawks are my teams (yeah its been a good year lol) but i watch a few games a night and bet a 'few bob' (read: a couple of bucks) when the odds are favourable.

The Flyers have been bad but Caps not much better, 17/10 for a Caps win (:

Hmmmm..... Just a coincidence that you like the 2 best teams in the NHL? Why not bet on them, the odds suck?

Noir
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Hmmmm..... Just a coincidence that you like the 2 best teams in the NHL? Why not bet on them, the odds suck?

Penguins have been my favs since 2002, chosen because penguins are my fav animal lol, and I started supporting the Blackhawks in the 2006 season, when channel 5 got rights the NHL games, and because of favourable timezones something like 50% of the games shown were Blackhawks. And it works well with having one east and west team

And yeah i wouldn't bet against either team, and voting for them is wasted on the odds.

gabosaurus
03-31-2013, 04:52 PM
My daughter put part of her winnings in the Easter offertory and is saving the rest for the next time she goes to the flea market with my sister. There is a large flea market by where my sister lives in East Los Angeles.

Robert A Whit
03-31-2013, 05:24 PM
My daughter put part of her winnings in the Easter offertory and is saving the rest for the next time she goes to the flea market with my sister. There is a large flea market by where my sister lives in East Los Angeles.

Now that she has gambling down pat, perhaps it is near the time to teach her to drink? :laugh: