PDA

View Full Version : So How Did You Spend Easter Sunday?

Kathianne
03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
My youngest son was confirmed last night, he missed confirmation in high school due to cross country. I know, I know. Still it was a beautiful service and family took up an entire center pew. He was well supported. ;)

Today went with daughter and son-in-law to his aunt's home. What a lovely day! The temperature was nearly 60 and the sun was in and out, but really pretty! My daughter is right, my son-in-law's family is very much like my own was, when my folks were healthy.

24 for dinner! More came for desserts. Ham, lamb, 4 kinds of potatoes, veggies, and salads. 4 pies and two cakes for desserts and one of the daughters boy friends brought his mom's 'Brazilian Easter Cookies', sent from Brazil! LOL! Lots of wine and waters flowed, after dinner hazelnut latte. Conversation ranged from teaching math in grammar schools, (or rather not teaching math in grammar schools), to global warming, politics, nuclear energy as an alternative fuel, to animebooks.

Ah yes, a math professor from DePaul, a chemistry professor, a nuclear engineer, were among the family. I got some real insight to why the SIL is one smart cookie!

How nice that they made me feel like part of the family! Standing invitation for holidays, which really was extended two years ago. Now I've been invited with the 'ladies' to a bake-a-thon in a couple weeks and a book club. My daughter accepted on my behalf. My SIL mother and aunt grew up a few blocks from my house, the aunt's house is just a few blocks now in the other direction from where my folk's house was. The aunt and I were in the same graduating year at the same high school, though in our class of 1,800 we never crossed paths. The SIL's mom looked me up in her year book, the aunt and I were freshmen when she was a senior. While we were talking we found that I was dating the guy she'd been crushing on. That led to some pretty funny stories for the 'kids.'

gabosaurus
03-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Went to Sunrise service.
Went to regular service.
Went to church picnic.
Laid around and did nothing.
Watched baseball.

All in all, a wonderful and inspiring day.

Syrenn
03-31-2013, 11:30 PM
That sounds great Kathianne. Im glad you had a good time. Family functions can all be....interesting. lol.

What are Brazilian Easter Cookies like? I looked for that online and came up with nothing......

me.... the day started at midnight with a feeding of the kittens.... they are on an every two hours feeding scheduled.

Then the alarms started coming that the switch room was heating up....so he had to go in and deal with the AC issues.....

had biscuits and sausage gravy breakfast...and lamb dinner. I love food holidays!

Kathianne
03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
That sounds great Kathianne. Im glad you had a good time. Family functions can all be....interesting. lol.

What are Brazilian Easter Cookies like? I looked for that online and came up with nothing......

me.... the day started at midnight with a feeding of the kittens.... they are on an every two hours feeding scheduled.

Then the alarms started coming that the switch room was heating up....so he had to go in and deal with the AC issues.....

had biscuits and sausage gravy breakfast...and lamb dinner. I love food holidays!

I know you are nursing the kittens. Bless you! The cookies were coconut and vanilla, that I could discern. My daughter is getting the recipe, when she does, I'll post. ;)

It was nice being with folks that loved to celebrate and have lively conversation. In spite of much difference of perspectives, everyone was polite. Not easy to discuss controversial topics and stay civil. Nice.

Syrenn
03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I know you are nursing the kittens. Bless you! The cookies were coconut and vanilla, that I could discern. My daughter is getting the recipe, when she does, I'll post. ;)

It was nice being with folks that loved to celebrate and have lively conversation. In spite of much difference of perspectives, everyone was polite. Not easy to discuss controversial topics and stay civil. Nice.

i take it you will now be attending family functions :thumb:

Family functions can be tough.... Truthfully i dont care how much work or money it is to throw two separate functions.... just so i dont have to have my family and his family together at the same time. It is not so much that they all would not get along..... as much as our nerves could not take the strain of them being together at the same time. The dinamics and how i respond to the different sets of family is totally different.

Kathianne
03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
i take it you will now be attending family functions :thumb:

Family functions can be tough.... Truthfully i dont care how much work or money it is to throw two separate functions.... just so i dont have to have my family and his family together at the same time. It is not so much that they all would not get along..... as much as our nerves could not take the strain of them being together at the same time. The dinamics and how i respond to the different sets of family is totally different.

LOL! I do hear you on that! It was my daughter that told me, 'Mom, it's much like all the holidays at our house or grandma's. Family was always there and if anyone had a friend or other relative without somewhere to go, they were welcome. You'll like the discussions, like our house, it is a free for all. The gamut of politics and opinions on just about anything you can think of!' That pretty much covered the day. Discussions were from politics to recipes, to grocery stores, and religion. When the party broke up after over 6 hours, everyone hugged.

Syrenn
04-01-2013, 12:03 AM
LOL! I do hear you on that! It was my daughter that told me, 'Mom, it's much like all the holidays at our house or grandma's. Family was always there and if anyone had a friend or other relative without somewhere to go, they were welcome. You'll like the discussions, like our house, it is a free for all. The gamut of politics and opinions on just about anything you can think of!' That pretty much covered the day. Discussions were from politics to recipes, to grocery stores, and religion. When the party broke up after over 6 hours, everyone hugged.

lol... some family's have good warm happy get together..... mine, not so much.

let me give you some visuals...

imagine having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.... formal...formal...formal... polite surface conversation...all manners and etiquette.

The next one.... ever see the movie "home for the holidays"?

Kathianne
04-01-2013, 12:16 AM
lol... some family's have good warm happy get together..... mine, not so much.

let me give you some visuals...

imagine having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.... formal...formal...formal... polite surface conversation...all manners and etiquette.

The next one.... ever see the movie "home for the holidays"?

I've got that, my ex-inlaws. Really.

Now today, just like what I grew up with and did with my own kids, good china and silver and crystal, so 'formal' in that sense. Actually it was a Duncan Phyfe dining room set, LOL! even more formal than I was used too. ;) It's the people though that count. Are they impressed with themselves or seriously interested in caring for each other? That's the difference to me. From the moment stepping in the door, one is made to feel 'part of.' Rather than saying, "I don't need help," Kathy said, "Oh, I'd really appreciate if you would pull the water pitcher from fridge and put out the relishes. The water glasses are in the galley, the blue ones." Having the offer of help accepted, is a big part of making a newcomer feel welcomed.

tailfins
04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
Omni Mount Washington Resort

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx

http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/images/fampics/Mount-Washington-Hotel-and-Resort-Exterior.jpg

Kathianne
04-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Omni Mount Washington Resort

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx

http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/images/fampics/Mount-Washington-Hotel-and-Resort-Exterior.jpg

Looks beautiful. Story? Whether ignoring Easter or celebrating something other, share?

tailfins
04-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Looks beautiful. Story? Whether ignoring Easter or celebrating something other, share?

Yes, we were ignoring Easter. It was a simple but elegant time. My wife loves taking pictures and was surprised to see the antennas atop Mt. Washington where we drove up to a couple years ago. We intend to return as soon as the Cog railway opens. It was a time to reconnect with family as I just spent five months only being home on weekends and too tired to doing anything those weekends given the weekday grind down at ESPN in Connecticut. It's nice to spend a few uninterrupted weeks with my family courtesy of the Massachusetts Dept of Unemployment Assistance to the tune of $700+ per week. If you have ANY Massachusetts wages, you can file a combined wage claim and get Massachusetts benefits.

Jeff
04-01-2013, 07:34 AM
I sat around or I should say laid around thinking about waxing the bike ( today is suppose to be a beautiful day and a ride would be nice if I feel well enough ) and that's about as far as that went, I did have a great dinner of Ham , scallop potatoes and collards my beautiful bride made and then laid around more :laugh: yup I was a bum all day

Well I did play with the cats which we also nursed ( we got them at like 2 1/2 weeks old there mom had gotten run over ) which seemed like yesterday but they are now HUGE especially the male Doogie ( that's what I call him ) he is actually named Duke and the female Daisy ( my wife named them ) and I messed around with my Bully Khaos who had now realized if she gets a running start she can reach my lap LOL

OK well I hope everyone else had a great Day

darin
04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
...watched The Passion of the Christ with my kids; ate flat breads, drank wine. Contimplated - thought...there isn't much in my life that sucks worse than what Christ did.

logroller
04-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Did the usual: food, wine, laughter; but also explained the passion of the Christ to my 3-year old son. How Jesus was the son of God and came to Earth to be sacrificed so that we shall live through Him....he cried. I tried to explain grace, but he wasn't hearing it; nor i really. i ended up crying too. Kids...