PDA

View Full Version : Bow and Arrow

Robert A Whit
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
What do you call using a bow and arrow to slay Bambi?

nope

Not that

Nah

Certainly not

What made you say that?

Ok

I will tell you

MAKING LUNCH

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
What do you call using a bow and arrow to slay Bambi?

nope

Not that

Nah

Certainly not

What made you say that?

Ok

I will tell you

MAKING LUNCH

Bambi provides some mighty tasty eating my friend. Venison is a healthy meat to eat. In fact far healthier that beef. I find that it tastes better too. That is when it is prepared by a person good at cooking venison.
Archery is a great way to hunt. Gives far more satisfaction to me than doing so with a gun .Of course my being such a fine shot is another reason I sought out bow and arrow. I wanted a greater challenge. Gun hunting became far too easy...

Robert A Whit
04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Bambi provides some mighty tasty eating my friend. Venison is a healthy meat to eat. In fact far healthier that beef. I find that it tastes better too. That is when it is prepared by a person good at cooking venison.
Archery is a great way to hunt. Gives far more satisfaction to me than doing so with a gun .Of course my being such a fine shot is another reason I sought out bow and arrow. I wanted a greater challenge. Gun hunting became far too easy...

I once gave Dad a Bow that I found in the attic of a home I picked up to fix up. Maybe he used it or maybe not.

But he owned 20 acres up in the mountains and deer were wandering onto his property. He killed one using the pistol I have within inches of me right now. He froze it and Mom would prepare it. I just did not enjoy eating it. Maybe Mom did not have the hang of fixing it. But otherwise she was a very good cook.

But were I to use a bow, I suspect it would be a compound bow. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
I once gave Dad a Bow that I found in the attic of a home I picked up to fix up. Maybe he used it or maybe not.

But he owned 20 acres up in the mountains and deer were wandering onto his property. He killed one using the pistol I have within inches of me right now. He froze it and Mom would prepare it. I just did not enjoy eating it. Maybe Mom did not have the hang of fixing it. But otherwise she was a very good cook.

But were I to use a bow, I suspect it would be a compound bow. :cool:

Compound bows are easier to use for a novice.
Cooking venison very well requires special knowledge and a good bit of practice. Of course if the deer killed was very old the meat gonna be a bit tough and have a bit more of that wild game taste.
To me no steak I've ever ate compares to a well prepared deer tenderloin cut. Not even close !-TZS

Marcus Aurelius
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I prefer this weapon to slay Bambi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

Jeff
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Cooking venison very well requires special knowledge and a good bit of practice. Of course if the deer killed was very old the meat gonna be a bit tough and have a bit more of that wild game taste.
To me no steak I've ever ate compares to a well prepared deer tenderloin cut. Not even close !-TZS

Take the back strap cut into one inch steaks wrap in bacon ( they need fat being as the meat is so lean ) and soak in Italian salad dressing over night , fire up the grill and cook it like ya would any other steak, I use to enjoy it with a couple cold ones but since I quit drinking a tall glass of SOUTHERN tea will do, best steak you will ever have IMO anyway :beer:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Take the back strap cut into one inch steaks wrap in bacon ( they need fat being as the meat is so lean ) and soak in Italian salad dressing over night , fire up the grill and cook it like ya would any other steak, I use to enjoy it with a couple cold ones but since I quit drinking a tall glass of SOUTHERN tea will do, best steak you will ever have IMO anyway :beer:

My old hunting pal Derek cooks them like that ,well did until he passed on in 2001 . I like to strip 'em down to cooking size , marinate the meat in beer and a good shot of bourbon for at least 3 /4 hours then take 'em out then bread in slightly with a special flour mix with my secret added spices and fry em in a skillet on top of the stove. Setting the burner to the proper heat is key along with knowing when and how many times to flip each piece of meat. I sometimes add a little meat tenderizer before breading 'em. Depends on the age of the deer taken. Nobody ever complains about my venison offered and they never leave a single piece of it there for later! NEVER NO MATTER HOW MUCH I COOK. I HAVE EVEN HAD PEOPLE THAT SWEAR THEY HATE VENISON EAT MY VENISON TENDERLOIN AND TELL ME THEY NEVER KNEW IT COULD TASTE SO GOOD. My guess is a great many people fail to cook their venison right.

YOU SIR, ARE DEAD ON RIGHT , VENISON WHEN PREPARED RIGHT IS THE BEST STEAK ONE CAN HAVE.:beer:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I prefer this weapon to slay Bambi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

After that the meat would only be good for deer chili or deer stew.-:laugh2:
I prefer my venison with a single arrow hole in it when taken.. makes for better eating.;)
Bambi tastes mighty fine too. - ;)-Tyr

Jeff
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
My old hunting pal Derek cooks them like that ,well did until he passed on in 2001 . I like to strip 'em down to cooking size , marinate the meat in beer and a good shot of bourbon for at least 3 /4 hours then take 'em out then bread in slightly with a special flour mix with my secret added spices and fry em in a skillet on top of the stove. Setting the burner to the proper heat is key along with knowing when and how many times to flip each piece of meat. I sometimes add a little meat tenderizer before breading 'em. Depends on the age of the deer taken. Nobody ever complains about my venison offered and they never leave a single piece of it there for later! NEVER NO MATTER HOW MUCH I COOK. I HAVE EVEN HAD PEOPLE THAT SWEAR THEY HATE VENISON EAT MY VENISON TENDERLOIN AND TELL ME THEY NEVER KNEW IT COULD TASTE SO GOOD. My guess is a great many people fail to cook their venison right.

YOU SIR, ARE DEAD ON RIGHT , VENISON WHEN PREPARED RIGHT IS THE BEST STEAK ONE CAN HAVE.:beer:--Tyr

Tyr when I was living in SC my step mom's Dad also lived there and refused to eat deer meat well one night I was cooking the tender loin ( back strap ) just the way I described and he was coming for dinner I was going to throw a burger on for him but he said he would just eat what we where ( not wanting to put us through any trouble but also not knowing it was deer ) so I served him the back strap, when I was taking him home he said to me That was deer we ate wasn't it ( waiting to be scolded ) I said yup he looked at me smiled and said if you ever forget to invite me when cooking that again I will be pissed off :laugh: he loved it

Robert A Whit
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Dad was more used to a Bow than I was and though i found it in my attic after purchasing the home, it was a very nice Bow and I thought he might use it. He lived where he could hunt and he had hunted in Utah and Alaska and the Pacific north west. Before he met and married mom, and she divorced my natural father, he had been in construction, and did fishing at Alaska and then wandered down to Washington state where he was in the logging business. He and a partner had a lot of leased land at one point. He was on his way to getting rich until the big companies lowered prices to the point he had more expenses than income.

Also, at Cedar City Utah, Dad's sister was married to the head of Coca Cola plants in the several states bordering Utah. He loved hunting with the Bow and loved hunting mule deer. Those in Utah can get pretty big. I have seen deer all over VA when I was in the Norfolk Area but those deer are not real big compared to those in the Rockies and those of Utah. (that range by Salt Lake city is called something else.

Dad lived in the area to the south of Eureka, CA and was able to see deer once in a while on his property. He would never just kill a deer unless he planned to eat it. It might well be that the deer meat in his freezer had been on hand too long and perhaps that is why I did not much care for it. I have never had fresh deer. I would like to try it sometime but I don't have a clue where I could get fresh deer. I don't live where one can hunt deer due to protections.

logroller
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
:coffee:

Robert A Whit
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Mom was a good cook but I don't believe she did it your way. The way you and Jeff describe it sure looks good to me.

I have Mom's recipes to this day.

Mom was cooking for a cafe when Dad met her.