PDA

View Full Version : Ga. city council votes to require GUN OWNERSHIP.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/ga-city-council-votes-require-gun-ownership-003042709.html

NELSON, Ga. (AP) — Backers of a newly adopted ordinance requiring gun ownership in a small north Georgia town acknowledge they were largely seeking to make a point about gun rights.
The ordinance in the city of Nelson — population 1,300 — was approved Monday night and goes into effect in 10 days. However, it contains no penalties and exempts anyone who objects, convicted felons and those with certain mental and physical disabilities.
City Councilman Duane Cronic, who sponsored the measure, said he knows the ordinance won't be enforced but he still believes it will make the town safer.
"I likened it to a security sign that people put up in their front yards. Some people have security systems, some people don't, but they put those signs up," he said. "I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city."
Another purpose, according to the city council's agenda, is "opposition of any future attempt by the federal government to confiscate personal firearms."
Council members in Nelson, a small city located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to "provide for the emergency management of the city" and to "provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY NOT ENFORCE IT?
Obama and the dems proved that forcing the purchase of anything is legal action taken by government.
More people should be responsible citizens and be armed to protect themselves and their property!
A matter of civic duty....--Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I am pleased the put exemptions in there.

I am a card carrying NRA member and support gun rights. However, 'requiring' gun ownership goes too far and in my mind crosses constitutional lines.

logroller
04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
I am pleased the put exemptions in there.

I am a card carrying NRA member and support gun rights. However, 'requiring' gun ownership goes too far and in my mind crosses constitutional lines.
Exceptions...that and it has no mechanism of enforcement; a defacto suggestion. But 'requiring' gun ownership is doubtfully unconstitutional. See: militia acts of 1792, et al. While it has been amended, it was never challenged, successfully anyways. (Of course, it had exceptions too, ie conscientious objector.)

Abbey Marie
04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/ga-city-council-votes-require-gun-ownership-003042709.html

NELSON, Ga. (AP) — Backers of a newly adopted ordinance requiring gun ownership in a small north Georgia town acknowledge they were largely seeking to make a point about gun rights.
The ordinance in the city of Nelson — population 1,300 — was approved Monday night and goes into effect in 10 days. However, it contains no penalties and exempts anyone who objects, convicted felons and those with certain mental and physical disabilities.
City Councilman Duane Cronic, who sponsored the measure, said he knows the ordinance won't be enforced but he still believes it will make the town safer.
"I likened it to a security sign that people put up in their front yards. Some people have security systems, some people don't, but they put those signs up," he said. "I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city."
Another purpose, according to the city council's agenda, is "opposition of any future attempt by the federal government to confiscate personal firearms."
Council members in Nelson, a small city located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to "provide for the emergency management of the city" and to "provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY NOT ENFORCE IT?
Obama and the dems proved that forcing the purchase of anything is legal action taken by government.
More people should be responsible citizens and be armed to protect themselves and their property!
A matter of civic duty....--Tyr

Bolded is more inclusive than libs ever are.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Bolded is more inclusive than libs ever are.

The bolded part you noted was fairness written into the action. My bolded in my post was a sarcastic swipe at the unconstitutional obamacare decision, that now government has authority to force its citizens to buy anything!

aboutime
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
That Ga. City council is doing nothing more than Obama did with OBAMACARE.

If the Fed can compel citizens to BUY something like Health care Insurance, which is a TAX, per the SCOTUS.

That Ga. town should call it what it really is. A TAX, and it will still be unconstitutional if they (council) tells the citizens WHAT to buy.