PDA

View Full Version : Six arrested in bribery probe of New York mayoral race

jimnyc
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Gotta love New York!!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Six New York politicians were arrested for their alleged role in a bribery scandal in which a prominent Democrat paid top Republicans for permission to run on their ticket in the city's upcoming mayoral race, prosecutors said.

Authorities described the scheme - potentially one of the biggest political scandals to hit New York in years - as an attempt to game the city's first wide-open mayoral election in more than a decade. New York will choose a new mayor in November, when Michael Bloomberg's third term comes to an end.

The charges center on State Senator Malcolm Smith, a Democrat from Queens, who prosecutors said made payments to a city councilman to set up meetings with top New York Republicans to assist in getting him on the mayoral ballot.

Smith and the councilman, Daniel Halloran, a Republican from Queens, were among the six politicians arrested on Tuesday morning in connection to the bribery scandal, an official at the U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan said.

Charges against the six include bribery, extortion, and wire and mail fraud.

"A show-me-the-money culture seems to pervade every level of New York government," said Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara. "The complaint describes an unappetizing smorgasbord of graft and greed involving six officials who together built a corridor of corruption stretching from Queens and the Bronx to Rockland County and all the way up to Albany itself."

Authorities arrested four other Republicans: Queens County Republican Party Vice Chairman Vincent Tabone, Bronx County Republican Party Chairman Joseph Savino, Spring Valley Mayor Noramie Jasmin and Spring Valley Deputy Mayor Joseph Desmaret.

Smith's layer, Gerald Shargel, defended his client but said he had not yet fully reviewed the charges. "Malcolm Smith is a dedicated public servant who has served ... his constituents in an exemplary fashion," Shargel said.

http://news.yahoo.com/two-charged-bribe-probe-related-york-mayors-race-124807777.html

fj1200
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Gotta love New York!!

You don't have a monopoly on corruption; my county is right behind you. A few years back we had the losing sheriff have the sheriff elect murdered. Classy.

logroller
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
You don't have a monopoly on corruption; my county is right behind you. A few years back we had the losing sheriff have the sheriff elect murdered. Classy.
Meh. who cares? when a politician cuts deals with opponants leveraging public monies, its business as usual; doing it to get elected with your own money hardly seems a more egregious act. I heard a suggestion on term limits once; elected officials should serve two terms: one in prison, one in office; prison first, so you know what you're getting.

aboutime
04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
As Chicago, Obama, and Rahm go. So goes the rest of the nation, states, counties, and cities.

Corruption is everywhere. The American people are so proud of it, and blind. They keep electing the same corrupt people each time.

Robert A Whit
04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
As Chicago, Obama, and Rahm go. So goes the rest of the nation, states, counties, and cities.

Corruption is everywhere. The American people are so proud of it, and blind. They keep electing the same corrupt people each time.

And now the expert told us. Thanks for getting er dun.

Voted4Reagan
04-03-2013, 05:48 AM
All incumbents need to be voted out of office next term.

This has to stop on BOTH SIDES of the Aisle.

aboutime
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
And now the expert told us. Thanks for getting er dun.

Robert. I am NOT Expert at anything but THE TRUTH!