PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Leaves Maryland Because of Stricter Gun Laws

taft2012
04-05-2013, 05:55 AM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/beretta-leaves-maryland-following-stricter-gun-laws?utm_source=OV+Newsletter+List+2&utm_campaign=52afdd1673-OV_Newsletter_Apr_44_4_2013&utm_medium=email

Beretta warned that stricter gun control laws would push the company outside of state lines, but that didn’t stop Maryland legislators. Jeffrey Reh, a spokesman for Beretta who also serves as the President of Stoeger Industries under Beretta, announced that the company would begrudgingly uproot and take its business elsewhere.

He said, “We don’t want to do this, we’re not willing to do this, but obviously this legislation has caused us a serious level of concern within our company.”

He added that Beretta paid approximately $31 million in taxes, employs 400 people, and had invested $73 million in the business over the past several decades. Despite being such a prominent player in the local economy, Beretta was unable to prevent legislators from passing tighter gun control laws. Ironically, Beretta manufactures some firearms that are now banned in Maryland.

Republican state Delegate Anthony J. O’Donnell lamented: “Losing [Beretta] would be a big disappointment. Maryland has a reputation for having a horrible business climate, and this would be one more nail in the coffin.”

Legislators had ample warning. Back in the ‘90s, when Maryland beefed up gun control laws, Beretta moved one of its warehouses a short drive away to Virginia.

I'm surprised the Dems haven't tried to pass gun legislation off as a "jobs bill", like they did with Obamacare. It'd be just as false.

Voted4Reagan
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/beretta-leaves-maryland-following-stricter-gun-laws?utm_source=OV+Newsletter+List+2&utm_campaign=52afdd1673-OV_Newsletter_Apr_44_4_2013&utm_medium=email

I'm surprised the Dems haven't tried to pass gun legislation off as a "jobs bill", like they did with Obamacare. It'd be just as false.

I am hoping that all the CT. gun companies follow suit. Hopefully they move to Georgia or Alabama and take their jobs to a State that wants them there.

Robert A Whit
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I am hoping that all the CT. gun companies follow suit. Hopefully they move to Georgia or Alabama and take their jobs to a State that wants them there.

Usually, a major out of state move costs over the number of jobs at any particular company and results in many other companies losing jobs as well. Perhaps Beretta uses screws made in MD by some other company and now if they move, the orders for screws may go to a maker in another state that is closer to the new location.

aboutime
04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Elections still have CONSEQUENCES. More corporations, and businesses may soon be doing the same thing.

And, wherever they go. They will prosper.

red states rule
04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Good. More lost jobs, more people on the Dems handout list, more lost tax revenue, and Dems will blame Bush, Republicans, and greedy corporations. Different day but the same excuses for failed liberal policies

aboutime
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Good. More lost jobs, more people on the Dems handout list, more lost tax revenue, and Dems will blame Bush, Republicans, and greedy corporations. Different day but the same excuses for failed liberal policies

red states rule. I read that in Arizona, a major city is hiring LIFEGUARDS for pools, but they don't need to know how to swim.

Sounds like another Obama trick. Imagine having a lifeguard watching you drown,
and throwing you a SHOVEL READY 4827 lifering?????

red states rule
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
red states rule. I read that in Arizona, a major city is hiring LIFEGUARDS for pools, but they don't need to know how to swim.

I live in MD and the Gov is bucking for President. He is a typical tax and spend lib and he has jacked up taxes through the roof. He is running on pure ambition and I suspect you will be seeing more of him as the liberal media gives him glowing coverage. (unless he dares to take on Hillary and deprive her rightful place in history as the first female President)

aboutime
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I live in MD and the Gov is bucking for President. He is a typical tax and spend lib and he has jacked up taxes through the roof. He is running on pure ambition and I suspect you will be seeing more of him as the liberal media gives him glowing coverage. (unless he dares to take on Hillary and deprive her rightful place in history as the first female President)

Oh boy. I'm your Southern neighbor, and Terry McAWFUL is ruining...yes...Ruining for Gov. of Virginia.

When it rains idiots...it pours idiots.

red states rule
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh boy. I'm your Southern neighbor, and Terry McAWFUL is ruining...yes...Ruining for Gov. of Virginia.

When it rains idiots...it pours idiots.

MD will always vote Dem with the huge population of bums, and brain dead libs in Baltimore, PG, and Montgomery County. The rest of the state is screwed thanks to the takers in those 3 counties

Robert A Whit
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
MD will always vote Dem with the huge population of bums, and brain dead libs in Baltimore, PG, and Montgomery County. The rest of the state is screwed thanks to the takers in those 3 counties

And in CA, we are ruled by the big cities. Los Angeles, SF and the environs have us by our short hairs. Then of course Sacramento, the hub of government has plenty more of those poly tics.

My driving in Baltimore is limited to being on the I-95 as well as off I-95 that confusing split where I turned off to try to verify i was on the right road and that area ... and the strangest feeling came over me. It felt as if I was in Oakland CA. It did not look inviting to do much driving into. I felt the same way about Buffalo, NY so far as feeling up to driving all over that city. You know though, I did enjoy Annapolis. It was much smaller than I had supposed it to be. I drove through a decent part of VA and like that state. I got as far west as Monticello and all of I-95 and stopped to enjoy the area many times. Yorktown was very good. I know, somebody will claim this is about me but I am trying to speak of areas and not myself.

red states rule
04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
And in CA, we are ruled by the big cities. Los Angeles, SF and the environs have us by our short hairs. Then of course Sacramento, the hub of government has plenty more of those poly tics.

People are fleeing CA. Too bad they are usually libs bringing their insane liberalism to other states

Robert A Whit
04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
People are fleeing CA. Too bad they are usually libs bringing their insane liberalism to other states

Well, if they leave, I will be happy to stay.

tailfins
04-05-2013, 05:25 PM

That might having a "thinning the herd" effect. People dumb enough to elect such a city government may get weeded out when they need a lifeguard as well as the lifeguard HERSELF.

Well, if they leave, I will be happy to stay.

And how will that satisfy the need for PRODUCTIVE citizens? :poke:

red states rule
04-06-2013, 05:49 AM
There is hope for the state of MD with future voters like this young lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-N9_tnWBo&feature=player_embedded