PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way?

jimnyc
04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
That I can eat all the yummy junk food I like at night, while I watch my movies, without eventually turning into a fat slob? Without having to workout 8x per week? Why can't someone invent a great tasting and fulfilling food, that has zero calories? WHY?????

Syrenn
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
That I can eat all the yummy junk food I like at night, while I watch my movies, without eventually turning into a fat slob? Without having to workout 8x per week? Why can't someone invent a great tasting and fulfilling food, that has zero calories? WHY?????

lol...

did you ever see the movie Defending your Life?

jimnyc
04-05-2013, 11:20 AM
lol...

No, will it teach me how to eat like a slob without becoming one?

fj1200
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Actually...

Eat, Fast And Live Longer With Michael Mosley (http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/02/eat-fast-and-live-longer-michael-mosley/)
British journalist and physician Michael Mosley (http://www.bbcaustralia.com/horizon/michael-mosley/) sets an ambitious goal: to become healthier and lose weight while making as few changes as possible to his life. In working toward these goals, Mosley discovers a powerful new science behind the old idea of fasting, a program that still allows him to enjoy his favorite foods.

He takes a road trip across the U.S. to investigate how a little hunger can turn on the body’s “repair genes” and, of course, tries the new science himself. Mosley learns that a diet based on feast and famine has powerful effects on the body, reducing the risks of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.

I saw his program last night and it boiled down to alternating feasting and fasting. On the feasting day you could eat whatever you wanted while on the fasting day you were limited to a 5-600 calorie meal around lunch time. He decided to do a 5-2 feast/fast diet with positive results. I'm sure like everything else it could be debunked in time.

jimnyc
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Actually...

Eat, Fast And Live Longer With Michael Mosley (http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/02/eat-fast-and-live-longer-michael-mosley/)

I saw his program last night and it boiled down to alternating feasting and fasting. On the feasting day you could eat whatever you wanted while on the fasting day you were limited to a 5-600 calorie meal around lunch time. He decided to do a 5-2 feast/fast diet with positive results. I'm sure like everything else it could be debunked in time.

I'll have to watch the episode! So basically, 5 days of eating whatever you want, and 2 days of nothing but a 600 calorie lunch (and I hope water or other drinks)? Hmmmm......

fj1200
04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I'll have to watch the episode! So basically, 5 days of eating whatever you want, and 2 days of nothing but a 600 calorie lunch (and I hope water or other drinks)? Hmmmm......

Yeah, apparently it's a craze. :laugh:

Feast and Famine: Controversial 'Fast Diet' Weight Loss Plan Is Eat for 5 Days, Fast for 2 (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/feast-famine-controversial-fast-diet-weight-loss-plan/story?id=18613821#.UV8UrKI3sc2)

I don't get the impression there's any magic to the 5-2 plan, much of what was in the show talked about alternating days which would be clearly more fasting. Also, no mention of how it might work for those working out. I don't particularly care about the weight loss aspect but they did spend some time on talking about its effects on the brain. Apparently starving gets the brain in the mode of figuring out how to go hunt and kill more food... evolutionarily speaking of course.

Robert A Whit
04-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Walk 2 miles daily. Eat no food past 6 pm. Just an idea. Or, keep doing what you now do and keep asking the same question.

Marcus Aurelius
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
use more calories than you ingest. it's really that simple.

jafar00
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Unfortunately, yummy junk food is full of fat and carbs.

When you eat them together, your body uses the carbs for energy and that fat just gets deposited on your ass. If you want to try a ketogenic diet, you basically eat fat and protein, and leave out the carbs. Meaning bacon and eggs is great for breakfast, just no toast etc....

If you leave out the carbs, the body uses the fat for energy instead of the carbs so you burn it away.

I've lost 15kg (33 pounds) this way. :)

Abbey Marie
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
lol...

Great movie!

"Who were you?"

"Dinner!"

red states rule
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Jim, I love the Wal Mart version of the Slim Fast shake. They taste great and are filling. Also their version of the snack bars are tasty and only 100 cal each. With niece weather on the way you can do more walking and spend more time outside with your kids. Do not worry Jim it is also that time of the year to cut the grass. So you will not put the weight on my friend

jimnyc
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
It's just starting to get to the warm stage here around NY. 58 today, was 63 about 5 days ago? But yeah, the warmer weather will at least get me a little more active, especially with my biking and walking.

I asked my wife about trying out the diet mention above...

Things like this worry me as they may have detrimental effects on your body. They also cannot be sustained for the long term. I know that it is difficult to lose weight, but proper diet and exercise worked for you. I think the question is how to motivate you to go back to them? Now that it's getting nicer outside, don't you think that will help...bike for coffee, go to the bike park, play tennis, etc.?</pre>

jafar00
04-06-2013, 01:26 AM
It's just starting to get to the warm stage here around NY. 58 today, was 63 about 5 days ago? But yeah, the warmer weather will at least get me a little more active, especially with my biking and walking.

I asked my wife about trying out the diet mention above...

There are a lot of people who don't understand the low carb diet. You are supposed to eat enough fat for energy so avoid low fat foods. Eat enough protein to stop muscle atrophy hence bacon and eggs being a great breakfast. I put cream instead of milk in my coffee. Cheese and nuts are my snacks now instead of cookies. Lunch or Dinner could be Chicken (with the yummy skin left on!) with steamed vegetables and a cheese sauce or a 280g steak with as much salad as I want to eat. As long as you make sure you are eating your vegetables, you can be sure of a balanced and healthy diet.

I tried so called safe ways like going to Weight Watchers and all they taught me was to have smaller portions. Nothing about the science behind diet. It was just stick to your pro points allowance. Nothing to help me keep the weight off after I stop paying them. You are better off spending the money on an actual nutritionist who can help you to switch to a low carb (Ketogenic, Paleo etc..) diet and ensure that you are eating correctly and taking the right supplements.

Speaking of supplements I have a Multi Vitamin, Fish Oil, Saw Palmetto (for prostate health), Calcium, and Vitamin C. I also take a special night time multi before bed.