PDA

View Full Version : One dead, many wounded in Cairo cathedral clashes

taft2012
04-08-2013, 06:09 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/07/us-egypt-clashes-idUSBRE93503A20130407

Christian-Muslim confrontations have increased in Muslim-majority Egypt since the overthrow of president Hosni Mubarak in 2011 gave freer rein to hard line Islamists repressed under his autocratic rule.

The state news agency MENA said 84 people had been injured in several hours of fighting after a ceremony at the cathedral, headquarters of the Coptic church, which was showered with stones, petrol bombs and bird-shot.

The man killed on Sunday was identified by MENA as 30-year-old Mahrous Hana Tadros, a Christian name.

Police fired tear gas to try to disperse the crowds but clashes continued late into the evening. MENA said 11 policemen were among the wounded.

Violence also broke out near a Coptic church in El Khusus north of Cairo, where four Christians and one Muslim were killed late on Friday when members of both communities started shooting at each other.

MENA said 12 people were wounded, and two apartments and a cafe set on fire by petrol bombs.

In Cairo, trouble erupted after hundreds of angry Copts attended the funeral service at St. Mark's Cathedral for Friday's killed Copts, chanting "With our blood and soul we will sacrifice ourselves for the cross."

Some mourners also shouted slogans calling for the departure of President Mohammed Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood movement as the coffins were carried head-high into the church.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/07/us-egypt-clashes-idUSBRE93503A20130407

Christian-Muslim confrontations have increased in Muslim-majority Egypt since the overthrow of president Hosni Mubarak in 2011 gave freer rein to hard line Islamists repressed under his autocratic rule.

The state news agency MENA said 84 people had been injured in several hours of fighting after a ceremony at the cathedral, headquarters of the Coptic church, which was showered with stones, petrol bombs and bird-shot.

The man killed on Sunday was identified by MENA as 30-year-old Mahrous Hana Tadros, a Christian name.

Police fired tear gas to try to disperse the crowds but clashes continued late into the evening. MENA said 11 policemen were among the wounded.

Violence also broke out near a Coptic church in El Khusus north of Cairo, where four Christians and one Muslim were killed late on Friday when members of both communities started shooting at each other.

MENA said 12 people were wounded, and two apartments and a cafe set on fire by petrol bombs.

In Cairo, trouble erupted after hundreds of angry Copts attended the funeral service at St. Mark's Cathedral for Friday's killed Copts, chanting "With our blood and soul we will sacrifice ourselves for the cross."

Some mourners also shouted slogans calling for the departure of President Mohammed Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood movement as the coffins were carried head-high into the church.

Egypt's new government made Islam the state religion. That means eventually the Christians will be forced into a slavery there or else exterminate/driven out. They know the truth of that and are acting out now to try to stop it.

jafar00
04-08-2013, 03:27 PM
It has nothing to do with religions clashing and more to do with the fact that these are people on a knife edge and it takes very little (nazi graffiti on an Islamic centre) to spark off a conflagration amongst them. Khusus is a few steps down the ladder from nearby Ain Shams which I would describe as the worst ghetto I have ever seen. It is full of poverty and hopelessness. Full of forgotten people.

It is a tedious place.

red states rule
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
It has nothing to do with religions clashing and more to do with the fact that these are people on a knife edge and it takes very little (nazi graffiti on an Islamic centre) to spark off a conflagration amongst them. Khusus is a few steps down the ladder from nearby Ain Shams which I would describe as the worst ghetto I have ever seen. It is full of poverty and hopelessness. Full of forgotten people.

It is a tedious place.

Oh, is it just another example of the religion of peace showing off its tolerance again?

I have always said Islam is a BLAST and will blow you away!!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM

It is a tedious place.

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

red states rule
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

Jafar yearns for those good ol' care free days of the Nazi concentration camps where Jews were put in their place

gas chambers and ovens