PDA

View Full Version : Falkland Islanders mourn Thatcher as their liberator

tailfins
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Falkland Islanders mourn Thatcher as their liberator

It gives a new meaning to "Don't Cry For Me Argentina".

Ouch! Are Falkland Islanders comparing Argentina to Hitler's Germany?

"For me, she was for the Falklands what Winston Churchill was to Great Britain in 1940. She was the right person in the right place at the right time and did the right thing."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/08/us-britain-thatcher-falklands-idUSBRE9370JU20130408

Drummond
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Falkland Islanders mourn Thatcher as their liberator

It gives a new meaning to "Don't Cry For Me Argentina".

Ouch! Are Falkland Islanders comparing Argentina to Hitler's Germany?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/08/us-britain-thatcher-falklands-idUSBRE9370JU20130408

If they are, isn't it understandable ? Argentina has about as much concern for the Falkland Islanders' right to freedom as Hitler had for all the lands he conquered.

By all accounts, for those handful of weeks that an Argentinian force subjugated the Falklands population, their treatment of the Islanders was at least as brutal as the Nazi forces were to the Channel Islanders during Nazi occupation of Jersey, Guernsey, and Sark (more so, if anything). So, why wouldn't comparisons similar to the one you suggest be surfacing ?

Robert A Whit
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
If they are, isn't it understandable ? Argentina has about as much concern for the Falkland Islanders' right to freedom as Hitler had for all the lands he conquered.

By all accounts, for those handful of weeks that an Argentinian force subjugated the Falklands population, their treatment of the Islanders was at least as brutal as the Nazi forces were to the Channel Islanders during Nazi occupation of Jersey, Guernsey, and Sark (more so, if anything). So, why wouldn't comparisons similar to the one you suggest be surfacing ?

Use Google earth to explore those remote and barren islands.

I am in awe humans want to live there.