PDA

View Full Version : Insulting the emir in Kuwait might cost you $1 million

jimnyc
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Report: Kuwait media law proposes $1 million fines for insults to emirKUWAIT CITY — Kuwait’s information minister is defending a proposed media law that reports say could bring fines of about $1 million for insulting the Gulf nation’s emir and other members of the ruling family.

The government has not given details of the draft regulations, which would cover both traditional media and online posts.

But the liberal Kuwait daily Qabas reported on Wednesday that the proposed codes also could include fines reaching about $700,000 for stirring internal tensions.

Kuwait’s move follows escalating Internet crackdowns, including prison sentences for Twitter posts ruled insulting to the emir.

The official Kuwait News Agency quoted Information Minister Salman Al Sabah as claiming the proposed rules will not stifle free expression and seek to elevate discourse in media.

The proposal still needs approval by parliament and Kuwait’s emir.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/report-kuwait-media-law-proposes-1-million-fines-for-insults-to-emir/2013/04/10/dd4a2350-a1c5-11e2-bd52-614156372695_story.html

aboutime
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
More than Half a Million Americans in uniform served in Operation Desert Shield, and Desert Storm 1990-91, and were awarded this ribbon, with a medal from Kuwait. I have one...4839 like this. And now. I wonder if it was worth it, considering what Kuwait has become.
Almost makes me feel like pulling a JOHN KERRY...who threw his ribbons over the White House fence.
Difference is. I earned my awards, and didn't make them up.