PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, that NYC soda ban would probably backfire

red states rule
04-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Oh my - looks like folks are drinking MORE of those "deadly" sugary drinks then they were before the Nanny State banned large size servings

A new study suggests this type of law may backfire and actually cause people to purchase more sugary beverages.

"Our research shows the New York City ban on large-sized drinks may have unintended consequences that policy makers need to consider," study author Brent M. Wilson, a graduate student in the department of psychology at UC San Diego, said in a press release (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-04/plos-pbm040513.php).

The city's soda ban was set to go into effect (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57573654/bloomberg-confident-soda-ban-will-be-upheld/)in March 2013, before New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling ruled the day before its implementation that the city may not enforce the new regulation. Tingling called the law "arbitrary," because of loopholes in the regulations, such as exemptions for milk-based beverages sold at restaurants and sugary drinks sold at grocery and convenience stores.

The researchers wanted to see anyway whether this type of ban would have its intended effects.

For the study, published April 10 in PLoS One (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0061081), Wilson and fellow researchers offered 100 participants three kinds of menus. One "unregulated" menu offered drinks in 16 ($1.59), 24 ($1.79) or 32-ounce sizes ($1.99), one menu offered only 16-ounce drinks (also for $1.59) for sale and the third offered either one 16-ounce soda ($1.59) or bundles of two 12-ounce ($1.79) or 16-ounce ($1.99) sodas.

The menus were presented on paper that had drawings of cups, a popcorn container and slices of pizza . Participants were randomized to purchase the items as if they were at a fast food restaurant, movie theater or stadium to mimic establishments where the New York City ban would take place.

Participants bought significantly more soda from the menu with bundles of 12 ounce and 16 ounce drinks than they did when offered individual sodas of different sizes.

The researchers also determined based on these choices, that businesses could make more money bundling drinks than only offering one small size. Bundled drinks also outsold the unregulated menu with multiple sizes, which suggests this type of soda ban could make businesses more money.

"Sugary drinks are a major source of business revenue, and businesses will adjust their menus in order to maximize profits," said Wilson.

The researchers wrote that the study had limitations, including that it didn't actually measure how much soda participants consumed, only what they bought.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57579172/nyc-soda-ban-would-lead-customers-to-consume-more-sugary-drinks-study-suggests/

aboutime
04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm wondering whether BloomingIdiot Bloomberg will also FORBID open smoking of POT in NYC in bars, and on the street..just as he has for tobacco products?

If drinking large SUGARY drinks isn't being enforced. Why not POT smoking too?

Just wondering.

DragonStryk72
04-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Oh my - looks like folks are drinking MORE of those "deadly" sugary drinks then they were before the Nanny State banned large size servings

And that doesn't even take into account, the number of people who are going to purposely try to flout the law because they think it's moronic. By doing things like getting an Xtreme Gulp, and just loading up for the day at 7-11 (Which was somehow not covered under the law). Some Movie theaters, like AMC, allow you to bring your own food and beverages into the theater, making the 7-11 even more viable for drinks.

What I love, though, is that even Bill Maher was commenting on just how stupid the soda ban law, and that it's these kinds of laws that sort of prove the fears of the far right. Somehow, California, during Schwarzenegger's reign as governor, managed to make the state one of the healthiest in the country, but that's in large part because the actions taken were non-punitive.

My friend Jess lives in VT, and she can't believe how often NY or CA will take a law that VT has quietly had for years, twist it into something unmanageable, and get almost evangelical about enforcing.

red states rule
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
And that doesn't even take into account, the number of people who are going to purposely try to flout the law because they think it's moronic. By doing things like getting an Xtreme Gulp, and just loading up for the day at 7-11 (Which was somehow not covered under the law). Some Movie theaters, like AMC, allow you to bring your own food and beverages into the theater, making the 7-11 even more viable for drinks.

What I love, though, is that even Bill Maher was commenting on just how stupid the soda ban law, and that it's these kinds of laws that sort of prove the fears of the far right. Somehow, California, during Schwarzenegger's reign as governor, managed to make the state one of the healthiest in the country, but that's in large part because the actions taken were non-punitive.

My friend Jess lives in VT, and she can't believe how often NY or CA will take a law that VT has quietly had for years, twist it into something unmanageable, and get almost evangelical about enforcing.

Hey, this policy sums up liberalism. It accomplished nothing and makes libs look fools

BTW, I loved it when Sarah Palin took a drink from s Big Gulp during her speech at CPAC

aboutime
04-12-2013, 07:22 PM

DragonStryk. What this proves is Liberals have no REAL IDEA'S of their own. So they must either copy, or distort idea's to make them fit their Educationally Challenged, Liberal agenda.
No original thoughts ever come from Liberals. They either steal them from others, or claim them as their own to impress each other through lies...called Liberal facts.

DragonStryk72
04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
DragonStryk. What this proves is Liberals have no REAL IDEA'S of their own. So they must either copy, or distort idea's to make them fit their Educationally Challenged, Liberal agenda.
No original thoughts ever come from Liberals. They either steal them from others, or claim them as their own to impress each other through lies...called Liberal facts.

Honestly, they do come up with stuff, but what has me facepalming about their stance is that it flies so very hard in the face of reality. Take something like gun control: They continue trying to tighten the laws, but the net effect keep beings a higher crime rate, even with guns. Or raising taxes will somehow get us out of the current financial mess. Never mind that if that were going to work, then it already would have.

Seriously, they're like alcoholics claim that this time they can stay sober, this time its different. Why? How is it different?

red states rule
04-13-2013, 05:11 AM
http://commonconstitutionalist.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SODA-Ban.jpg

aboutime
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Honestly, they do come up with stuff, but what has me facepalming about their stance is that it flies so very hard in the face of reality. Take something like gun control: They continue trying to tighten the laws, but the net effect keep beings a higher crime rate, even with guns. Or raising taxes will somehow get us out of the current financial mess. Never mind that if that were going to work, then it already would have.

Seriously, they're like alcoholics claim that this time they can stay sober, this time its different. Why? How is it different?

DragonStryk. Your analogy using Alcoholics strikes close for me. As an Alcoholic. I have not only learned how I used to be. Dependent upon the stuff all the time, but I have also learned how to read the attitudes of some people who often violate the very first Rule, or Sign of someone who is hooked on Booze, Drugs, and even Tobacco. That first sign WE all have to accept, and admit is DENIAL.
The problem with Obama, Democrats, and Liberals is...they aren't smart enough, nor are they willing to admit they just may be WRONG, and believe LIES they have created, and called them FACTS.
Until they admit their Denial. They will always remain STUPID, IGNORANT, DUMB, and LIARS. And the results will be the destruction of our nation...from within.

DragonStryk72
04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
DragonStryk. Your analogy using Alcoholics strikes close for me. As an Alcoholic. I have not only learned how I used to be. Dependent upon the stuff all the time, but I have also learned how to read the attitudes of some people who often violate the very first Rule, or Sign of someone who is hooked on Booze, Drugs, and even Tobacco. That first sign WE all have to accept, and admit is DENIAL.
The problem with Obama, Democrats, and Liberals is...they aren't smart enough, nor are they willing to admit they just may be WRONG, and believe LIES they have created, and called them FACTS.
Until they admit their Denial. They will always remain STUPID, IGNORANT, DUMB, and LIARS. And the results will be the destruction of our nation...from within.

Actually, I was raised going to my dad's AA meetings, so I have an odd degree of insight into how alcoholics think. This isn't a derogatory statement, an alcoholic can be an otherwise incredibly intelligent, but they employ that intelligence in refuting the most obvious statement.

Nah, eventually the Libs will have their point of going over that line, and hopefully, that's the point when we can start moving forward with things.

In fact, overall, I've noticed that total morons generally make far less egregious errors than the smart people make. A idiot will get knocked down or proven wrong, and just sort of accept it, while the smart person will try to prove themselves right.

aboutime
04-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Actually, I was raised going to my dad's AA meetings, so I have an odd degree of insight into how alcoholics think. This isn't a derogatory statement, an alcoholic can be an otherwise incredibly intelligent, but they employ that intelligence in refuting the most obvious statement.

Nah, eventually the Libs will have their point of going over that line, and hopefully, that's the point when we can start moving forward with things.

In fact, overall, I've noticed that total morons generally make far less egregious errors than the smart people make. A idiot will get knocked down or proven wrong, and just sort of accept it, while the smart person will try to prove themselves right.

Didn't take it as derogatory either. I agree with you in fact. Most of the other ADMITTED Alcoholics I have met are PERFECTIONISTS, and well versed on never exposing their real sickness to others. In fact. Few people ever realize they are working with, or around us in most cases. And surprised when they learn.
As for the Denial. That's just plain common.