PDA

View Full Version : Bagels

jimnyc
04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
NY bagels rule. You take them for granted when you grow up in the tri-state area, but then when you visit elsewhere you understand. It's kind of like the Taylor Ham we spoke of once. Anyway, and even though I have both here at my fingertips, I rarely have either. I think I'm going to go get a dozen bagels, but no Taylor today. I'm supposed to be dieting, so I should probably only get a bagel or 2, but not sure how many the woman and boy want. Plus, I hate buying anything but a dozen. You get the bakers dozen (13), so I hate to miss out on that free one!

Onion or plain? Cream cheese or butter?

taft2012
04-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Gotta get the lox cream cheese spread too. :clap:

I like the egg onion bagels.

jimnyc
04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Gotta get the lox cream cheese spread too. :clap:

I like the egg onion bagels.

Yup, egg bagels are good too. I think all bagels are good, 'cept I need to be in the mood for a salt bagel, and same for an 'everything' bagel.

And timing is everything. If fresh out of the oven, I'll eat a plain bagel with nothing on it. But if no longer warm, but still fresh, then it's cream cheese or butter.

PostmodernProphet
04-13-2013, 08:08 AM
what's the difference between a New York bagel and a Michigan bagel?......

Jeff
04-13-2013, 08:27 AM
James I hate you :laugh:

You just made me hungry as can be , we can get bagels but it is a 40 mile ride for me to go get them and although they aren't NY bagels they are still good

And by the way Everything bagel with cream cheese is the way to go :thumb:

taft2012
04-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Yup, egg bagels are good too. I think all bagels are good, 'cept I need to be in the mood for a salt bagel, and same for an 'everything' bagel.

And timing is everything. If fresh out of the oven, I'll eat a plain bagel with nothing on it. But if no longer warm, but still fresh, then it's cream cheese or butter.

Our bagel tastes are twins....except I'm a little more appreciative of the everything. The salt bagel is an acquired taste that I rarely indulge in.

With butter, I like a fresh hot plain bagel.
With cream cheeses, the egg onion, onion, garlic, cinnamon raisin (also very good toasted w/apple butter), or everything.
Chicken or tuna salad bagel sandwiches need to be on poppy seed bagels.

Edit: Chopped liver, when available, must be on a plain bagel.

taft2012
04-13-2013, 08:43 AM

There's a similar phenom with pizza too.

I imagine Michigan bagels and pizza are similar to upstate New York bagels and pizza, nowhere near as good as the downstate items.

A lot of people attribute the difference to relative "heaviness" of the water used. NYC water is very light.

Abbey Marie
04-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Three food items that are best in NYC:

1. Pizza
2. Bagels
3. Corn muffins (toasted w/butter from a coffee shop- my breakfast of choice when I worked midtown)

Best bagel imo- salt.

hjmick
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Jewish donuts, best thing evah.

Onion, everything, and the best and hardest to find... Salt.

DragonStryk72
04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
NY bagels rule. You take them for granted when you grow up in the tri-state area, but then when you visit elsewhere you understand. It's kind of like the Taylor Ham we spoke of once. Anyway, and even though I have both here at my fingertips, I rarely have either. I think I'm going to go get a dozen bagels, but no Taylor today. I'm supposed to be dieting, so I should probably only get a bagel or 2, but not sure how many the woman and boy want. Plus, I hate buying anything but a dozen. You get the bakers dozen (13), so I hate to miss out on that free one!

i love onion, Blueberry, and Cinnamon Raisin bagels. I generally go with cream cheese, or I put butter on the and melt the butter. Lol, I used to pick up a bagel at Brugger's on my bike, and ride down the street with my earbuds in, my drink and bagel in hand as I ate while I pedaled. Woot for dexterity!

aboutime
04-13-2013, 05:25 PM

ABOUT 900 Miles.

Robert A Whit
04-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Costco bagels are good though they don't have enough variety. The Bagels I get at Noah's in my city are great too and they have plenty of variety.

The best Pizza I ever ate was from Schweinfurt Germany called La Gondola Pizza.

I admit when in NYC I did not eat Pizza nor Bagels. The rudest waiter I ever met was in NY City with one in SF a ... well, just as bad.

DragonStryk72
04-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Costco bagels are good though they don't have enough variety. The Bagels I get at Noah's in my city are great too and they have plenty of variety.

I admit when in NYC I did not eat Pizza nor Bagels. The rudest waiter I ever met was in NY City with one in SF a ... well, just as bad.

lol, the rudest anything probably exists in NYC. We rival Paris for the "fuck off" vibe.

Robert A Whit
04-13-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robert A Whit http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=631117#post631117)

lol, the rudest anything probably exists in NYC. We rival Paris for the "fuck off" vibe.

LMAO

Last time I was there, I left my room by the Holland Tunnel in NJ and drove into the city. I came to a red light and next thing I knew, some pedestrian had to think he had the right of way and he was pounding on the side of the car on the passenger side. and yelling his ass off. I paid no attention and took my left turn to Central Park. I had to get to a bathroom. I pulled up next to a taxi at a toilet and as I came out, he told me to bail out of the park that i was not allowed to stop there. I got out and drove down to the Washington bridge and headed to West Point. That is the final time I was in NY City.

That rude waiter in San Francisco was rude to my then lady friend. She took me to a fancy French restaurant in SF and after we were finished with the meal, the waiter came with the check. She grabbed it to put it on her credit card. The guy came and picked up the whole thing and a few minutes came back to the table and looked at her as if he was not happy..

What did we do wrong he say to her. She says nothing but he had tossed the bill back on the table. She did not tell me what she did but I believe she made the tip smaller.

The way he came to the table, he acted angry.

Syrenn
04-14-2013, 12:20 AM

mmmm.... poppy seed, toasted with tomato basil cream cheese please.

Syrenn
04-14-2013, 12:22 AM

1. Pizza
2. Bagels
3. Corn muffins (toasted w/butter from a coffee shop- my breakfast of choice when I worked midtown)

Best bagel imo- salt.

i tell ya, i have as yet to have a good pizza in NYC. All the "best" places ive been told to try...ive been very disappointed.

do you have any suggestions?

Kathianne
04-14-2013, 12:58 AM

1. Pizza
2. Bagels

Best bagel imo- salt.

2 out of 3 I'll give you. Not #1 however. NY Pizza is like an upgraded Hot Pocket. Give me Chicago Style always. Deep dish or thin, beats NY Pizza by a mile. Make that 10 miles. ;)

DragonStryk72
04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
i tell ya, i have as yet to have a good pizza in NYC. All the "best" places ive been told to try...ive been very disappointed.

Basically, you're looking for the place that has the kind of pizza that makes your arteries harden just looking at it.

taft2012
04-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Just to clarify, there are two species of bagels, even in New York City.

If you were in Manhattan and had a bagel in a diner, and walked away thinking you've sampled a genuine NYC bagel, you've been mislead. Diners generally served baked bagels because they have a longer shelf life.

The genuine bagel article is the water-raised bagel. They don't last nearly as long and have to be bought directly from the bakery. Which variety I select is usually based on which ones just came out .... piping hot.

taft2012
04-14-2013, 05:55 AM

The problem is simple; none of the best pizzerias are in tourist areas. Tourists go to Chinatown for Chinese food, and frankly, the Chinese food in Chinatown is crap. The best Chinese food is out in Flushing, Queens.

It's the same with pizza and bagels. You have go out to the neighborhoods in the boroughs.

taft2012
04-14-2013, 06:08 AM
2 out of 3 I'll give you. Not #1 however. NY Pizza is like an upgraded Hot Pocket. Give me Chicago Style always. Deep dish or thin, beats NY Pizza by a mile. Make that 10 miles. ;)

There's a reason Chicago is known as the "The Second City".... everything there is second best to New York. :poke:

Syrenn
04-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Basically, you're looking for the place that has the kind of pizza that makes your arteries harden just looking at it.

and again... so far ive not seen anything that even comes close to it.

Ive always heard about NY pizza.... and have as yet to find something even....well...tasty.

Syrenn
04-14-2013, 09:53 AM
The problem is simple; none of the best pizzerias are in tourist areas. Tourists go to Chinatown for Chinese food, and frankly, the Chinese food in Chinatown is crap. The best Chinese food is out in Flushing, Queens.

It's the same with pizza and bagels. You have go out to the neighborhoods in the boroughs.

i go everywhere in Manhattan, so far ive not done the bridge and tunnel thing. I call them missions. I pretty well shun the tourist areas.

AND... speaking of nyc.... now that stage is closed...and sarges is burned up..... i am on the mission for finding the best tongue again.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-14-2013, 10:20 AM

1. Pizza
2. Bagels

Best bagel imo- salt.

Sorry, got to disagree with you on your number three choice.
My mother makes the best corn muffins ever tasted by man or beast.:banana:
Now if you mean they are one of three best food items in NYC then I have no objection because I am not familiar with the vast array of food items offered there.;)

hjmick
04-14-2013, 10:21 AM
i am on the mission for finding the best tongue again.

I'm not going to touch this one...

Kathianne
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
There's a reason Chicago is known as the "The Second City".... everything there is second best to New York. :poke:

Poke all you like, Chicago Style Pizza whether thin or deep dish crushes New York Style. Now I will say that NY may be ahead on steak preparations, that's due to the fact that Chicago has all the best steaks, thus the chef's just have to cook them up simply, not bothering with elaborate sauces and other distractions.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-14-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm not going to touch this one...

Wise move....:laugh: :laugh2: :laugh:...Tyr

aboutime
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM

taft. I agree on most of what you said above but. We all know by now. Chicago is the FIRST CITY when it comes to Murders. Remember, last year. Rahm's Windy City became the FIRST in the nation for Shootings. Just ask Mrs. Obama. She feels like that young woman who was SHOT in Chicago..."HER KIND OF TOWN...Chicago is..."

Kathianne
04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
taft. I agree on most of what you said above but. We all know by now. Chicago is the FIRST CITY when it comes to Murders. Remember, last year. Rahm's Windy City became the FIRST in the nation for Shootings. Just ask Mrs. Obama. She feels like that young woman who was SHOT in Chicago..."HER KIND OF TOWN...Chicago is..."

Whatever. Now for pizza and hot dogs, your informed opinion?

aboutime
04-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Whatever. Now for pizza and hot dogs, your informed opinion?

Pizza and hot dogs are great. I've had both in many places across this country. Never felt I needed to brand any one of them as more special, or FIRST.
Food is food. And all of us prefer to brag about our own brands, or home town as being the best.
That's who we are.

Other than that. Due to my present physical limitations, as directed by doctors. I now am forced to simply REMEMBER many foods that helped to cause my physical condition.

taft2012
04-14-2013, 06:48 PM
i go everywhere in Manhattan, so far ive not done the bridge and tunnel thing. I call them missions. I pretty well shun the tourist areas.

If you have a friend with a car... "GABY'S" on Hillside Ave & Francis Lewis Blvd. Rachel Ray named it the "best slice".... she may be right.